PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Floor Heating

GringoPhil
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Is it not possible to have some very simple system run that utilizes the heat from the engine when running and heat from the water heater when parked? Both systems could heat the rv as a whole or the hot water for personal use. It seems a simple in line pump could keep things moving along. I guess my question is why Aqua Hot has to collect $4000 for this type of system? Just let me know what might be possible that would be less than $4000 and still offer radiant heat - if there is such a thing.

The Newell
08-07-2012, 09:22 PM
You don't need to spend a bunch of money on a Aqua-hot just to provide radiant heat. You can then add heat exhangers as needed in the cabin and in the bays also if you want heated bays. A flat plate heat exchanger can be used to get heat from the engine into the coolant for the radiant heat.

btmoore
08-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I have had hydronic radient heating like what you all are referring to and recently installed in my latest home an electric type of radient tile. Don't know how pratical an all electric system would worlk out? Maybe another option for much less money depending on your needs.

Neweller
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM
My next coach will surely have radiant heating. There are pros and cons to both electric and hydronic. Electric works best with hard stone surfaces and not well with heavy carpets or vinyl. Electric can be an issue if there is a break somewhere and the only course of repair is to pull the whole floor up and in a moving home like a motorcoach, that could arise. I prefer electric in a lot of applications in the home am too looking at the option for a coach. Hydronic has to have water moving through it, in order to function, so you need a hot water heater or boiler of sorts to manage water temps and movement. Hydronic will require more space between finish flooring and subflooring vs. electric. With hydronic as long as you have a source to heat water, you have heat, whether its helped through the engine, electricity via shore power or genset, and propane. Either way you go, I would recommend a secondary heat source.

There are some other things to note, but I'll let others chime in more.

Ken

Randy J
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Phil if there is such a thing in that price range. I'd like to know about it. During these cold winter months radiant heating would sure be nice. I'm glad were not where it's snowing!

Leeann