PDA

View Full Version : Ways to connect to internet while traveling?

NeverEnding
08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I know some RV parks and resorts have wifi as well as some McDonalds or Starbucks. But what have you found to be the most reliable when traveling? I have internet on my cell phone. Is it worth it having one of those wireless internet sticks to stay connected?

express1
08-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Best way to stay "Connected" ?
PAY UP!

verizon mifi 4g works every where you have phone. I've only been one place in my travels where it didn't work.
Priest Gulch, CO. but it did work 5 miles down the road. I've been around the block once or twice.

fulltiming
08-09-2012, 05:37 AM
I also use a Verizon MiFi 4G unit. We are on the new Share Everything plan which also includes using your smartphones as mobile hotspots. We do use WiFi at parks where it is worthwhile. Many RV Parks has such slow WiFi that it isn't worthwhile. I used to depend on my MotoSat DataStorm for satellite internet service but the cellular data coverage has improved so much that I canceled by service to save the extra $80/month. If I spent a lot of time in sparsely populated areas of the west, away from interstates, I would still use satellite internet.

folivier
08-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a WifiRanger + WFRBoost wifi amplifier that works great to improve speed and pick up wifi other than the campgrounds wifi in a lot of areas. I have AT&T smartphone that will give me another option and will probably add a Millenicom (Verizon) usb stick. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle around the 4G offerings. There are some wireless 4G amplifiers that are close to hitting the market and I'll probably go that route. My plan is to use the wifi booster when that's available and have it failover to a Millenicom 4G usb stick, then my AT&T smartphone with hotspot when Verizon isn't available. With a wireless 4G amplifier that will extend the range on the 4G Verizon signal and also the AT&T 3G signal.

fulltiming
08-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I should have mentioned that since our computers and network attached storage are connected in the coach through ethernet cables, I use a CradlePoint MBR1400 router with WiFi as WAN and a Hawkin Corner directional antenna. That way I can increase the signal strength of a park WiFi signal or use my MiFi to provide a connection to both of my computers plus it rebroadcasts the WiFi as WAN signal to allow my other devices such as ipad and ASUS tablet to connect to the internet and my LAN also.

NeverEnding
08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Thank you everyone. It sounds like I have somethings to think about. I have read many complaints about wifi not being very strong at rv parks. So that was one of the main reasons I thought I'd ask. Forest it sounds like you have the quite the hook up and can be connected one way or another! What is this Verizon MiFi cost? Michael did you run your cables and router in your coach yourself?

fulltiming
08-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Yes, I ran the cabling myself. In the front it is not too bad. The runs to the back can be a little more challenging. Tom is the wiring king!! He has run cabling coax, ethernet and hdmi all over his 1990 and his 2002. If you have a phone that can act as a hotspot and you don't talk on the phone a great deal, that could be a better solution than the MiFi BUT generally they run about $99 with a contract.

Randy J
08-10-2012, 05:25 AM
We have just been using wifi on our laptop. At the rv parks we have stayed at I didn't have a problem with speed. We have used Leeanns smart phone but I'm not to keen on it. Maybe it's my man hands and my fingers just hit the screen and it's not smooth surfing for me. She's had it for a year now and I still can't get the darn thing to do what I want! So I figure that means a tablet or iphone wouldn't be my gig either.

folivier
08-10-2012, 08:14 AM
I found that getting wifi inside the coach at a campground was a problem. All of that aluminum siding creating shielding. The Wifi booster system has an outside antenna mounted on the tv antenna. When I raise the antenna the wifi antenna rides along. Just having an outside antenna will help a lot. A few people use a usb antenna plugged into their laptop and pointed through a window. As an example in Santa Fe with Clarke parked alongside me I couldn't get wifi even though the office was less than 150' away. When he left and it was a clear shot I had no problem. Another advantage to having an internal wireless router is the security you have. You are behind your own firewall in your router. Very important if you do any online banking, etc. You don't want to expose this info on a wifi network through your laptop.