PDA

View Full Version : Is crossing the Hoover Dam allowed with a 40' Newell

Newell Attack
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM
We are currently on HWY 40 in New Mexico on our cross country trip and we're choosing our route from Flagstaff, AZ to Las Vegas, NV and we've received conflicting info on whether we can cross the Hoover dam with our newell or not. Does anyone have any feedback? Quick response is appreciated.

afrench45
08-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I haven't been across in probably 5 years, but in 2007 I took my 40 foot coach through pulling myToad. There are a few tight turns that I remember. The worst part was waiting 2.5 hours for the security inspection to cross.

Neweller
08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
You'll be surprised to know that RV's and rental trucks can cross the dam (may be inspected). It's best to be prepared for a possible inspection. They are looking for anything terrorist related.

Ken

larryweikart
08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I crossed it 2 times a year from 99 to 2009 with my trailer in tow. In 09, they couldn't see very well inside our trailer (it was packed too full) and I was told not to try it again unless the trailer could be inspected. There is definitely no problem with just a coach or coach and toad. You can usually find a spot on the south side to park a rig and tour the dam.

tuga
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Jeff,

Be sure to take the Hoover Dam tour; it is great! Very informative and just plain awesome. The dam produces enough electricity for 3 states and water for certain regions. It is an engineering marvel. There are 17 turbine generators that produce 175,000 hp each! Very impressive.

I'm sure you will be able to cross with your Newell, but it never hurts to make a phone call to find out.

The Newell
08-11-2012, 11:09 PM
We crossed it this past spring with no problems.. they checked the bays and interior and we went over.

TheCarabiners
08-12-2012, 01:05 AM
We went across and got a Homeland Security search. No big deal really,...well... Anyway, if you are just passing by, the new highway is now open. No need to go "over the dam". If you want to see it or stop, you may be searched.255725582559

Randy J
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Well all be darned. Look at that. You even got the chance to snap pictures of the fellow searching your rig. I don't like the idea of invasion of my privacy. However they won't find much. Maybe a deck of cards. lol!