PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Counter Tops

GringoPhil
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I want to make some small changes with the Corian counter tops and have no experience working with this material. I don't need to make any joints, just enlarge the stove opening and table, maybe rout a new egde. Can I use regular wood working techniques?

Gringo

Archie T. Hogan
08-16-2012, 06:02 PM
There is only one way I know of to cut corian which is to take a piece of wood and hot glue it to the underneath of the counter top to where you want to stop at and use a flush router bit with the bearing on the bottom of the bit then route the cut out of the size you need to the board. when your done you can remove the board with a putty knife and round over the top of the corian with a quarter round over bit that relieves stress and sharp edges.

GringoPhil
08-16-2012, 07:15 PM
will a rotozip work?

Boondockers
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Corian cuts very easily and smoothly with woodworking tools. Sand it out with 220, then 400 for the finished surface.

lbrachfe
08-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Agree w/ Archies direction. Have done the same method . I used the weak adhesive type hot glue for my glue gun which made seperation of the plywood much easier

Neweller
08-16-2012, 11:37 PM
You can also clamp (use a wood between the clamp and the material for protection) a very true straight edge to the material like angle aluminum and run your router using a solid surface bit. The material can also be cut using a quality saw with a high tooth count diamond blade. Always use solid surface bits when routing any solid surface material whatever the brand is.

There are many tricks of this trade. My father-in-law was a big time solid surface, granite and marble fabricator/manufacturer in Las Vegas.

Ken