PDA

View Full Version : Voltage question...

Newellmazin
08-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Im a little confused about this scenario, say your parked at a campground and your plugged into a 30 amp service, you have an inverter that's hooked up to four 8D batteries. The inverter is shut off. If you are drawing more than 30 amps in the bus, will this run the batteries down? If this is the case, please explain.

If you are using more than the 30 amps, would it kick the breaker on the post outside?

lbrachfe
08-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Why would you shut off the inverter ? If you are not charging your batteries while plugged in then you are draining your batteries. It will only kick the outside breaker if you try to use the a/c's or dryer or microwave. Other than that you will just drain the batteries unless your charger is on and depending on your coach and year it will be managed by your inverter.

TechTalk
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
You have thrown out a lot of questions with different variables, so lets try and figure some of it out... You tell us a 30 amp park service and inverter off, NO, your batteries won't run down if you are only using 120 Volt loads. If you exceed 30 amps of 120 Volt draw, you will trip a breaker.

Now, if you have a good inverter that will share load, and you draw more than the 120 Volt current limit setting, say 30 in your case, the inverter will draw 24 Volt current from the batteries and make 120 Volt AC out of it and add it to the 30 out of the shore power.

Remember that 10 amps of 120 V equals 50 amps of 24 V with a perfect inverter, which doesn't exist. So 10 Amps of 120 V = about 55 amps of 24 V.

MrE
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
The other thing that you have to keep in mind, the 30 amp service is only 120v and only one leg of your 220v 50 amp plug.

Neweller
08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Jon, you reminded me of when I stayed at a lakeside campground in Lake Elsinore, CA a few years ago most of their sites had 30 amp RV outlet boxes and some outlets including the needed heaters ran off the opposite side of how my coach was wired and how it received power via the 30 amp adapter into the 50 amp cord. So, I had to change the hot side in the plug to make in work in the coach where I wanted it. Then I had the opposite problem later on at another location in Colorado to run the needed side of the A/C. If 50 amp were only available everywhere. This was on my first Newell which was a '78.