PDA

View Full Version : What awning brand do you have?

2StrokeDiesel
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I am planning on putting new awnings all the way around my coach to sheild the windows from the summer sun. I was thinking about going with the all electric awnings but then again not sure I want to, kinda looking for pros and cons between the standard pull awning and the electric.

tuga
08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
2stroke,

I have a Girard automatic electric awning for my patio awning (I love it). No trouble in 13 years, works everytime. It has a wind gauge that will automatically close the awning when the wind exceeds 25 mph (ever if you aren't around at the time). However, I have heard stories that a sudden gust of wind can damage the awning by throwing it over the coach. Of course, this could also happen with the Zip Dee manual awnings as well.

The other 3 awnings that I have are Zip Dee manual awnings. They also have been trouble free for 13 years. They are very simple to operate do a good job keeping the sunlight out.

I would not recommend the Zip Dee electric patio awning. I know some folks on the Prevost sites that have had trouble with them.

One last note, Girards are very expensive! But you get what you pay for!

These are just my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions!

Neweller
08-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I would have to agree with Tuga all the way. Now the other question would be the year of your coach? That may determine more of your options for mounting purposes. Zip Dee makes something to fit most RV's and I think Girard products are more for the later model RV's. I would never put a A&E or Carefree on a Newell, however that is my personal opinion.

Ken

lbrachfe
08-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Girard all the way around and buy your replacement fabrics from Sunsetter direct when needed as it cuts out the middleman.

NEWELLWIZARD
08-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Girard automatic awnings for us. Never had a problem with them.

Ground Control
08-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone! We are currently in Southern California and just recently previewed two different Newell's. Loved them both. The 2002 we looked at did show some fade along with the main awning. Girard is the brand on that unit. Glad we found this so easy. This 02' had spent most of its time in the south under the sun with the awnings out.

Larry, Ken, Tuga or whomever might know, Does Sunsetter or someone else install these as well and what is the expected cost?

Neweller
08-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Bernie, I'm unaware if Sunsetter offer such an animal. hmm...Maybe Girard has products made for them by Sunsetter, I do not know if they have some kind of partnership or not? I'll do some checking for you and hopefully find out if anyone including Sunsetter makes replacements for Girard if any.

fulltiming
08-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Girard and Zip Dee both use Sunbrella fabric.

Neweller
08-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Michael, I should have thought of Sunbrella as one of the better fabric companies. I knew they had manufactured for ZipDee but I don't know squat about the Girard's. I have a past associate who buys direct from them. Actually, Sunsetter might even buy from them.

Ken