PDA

View Full Version : Key West in the Newell

Gary&Terry
08-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I was told the Keys have a lot of rules when it comes to rv's. I have been there several times in a our SUV and stayed in hotels. What good info can anyone share about their experiences from Islamorada to Key West that can help keep me out of trouble and enhance my visit with the Newell? If I remember right I'm not even allowed in Key West. (With the Newell)!

Gary

RussWhite
08-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Venture Out on Cudjoe Key and Bluewater at MM 14 can both accomodate you. I have seen some very big rigs in Boyd's on Stock Island, but I don't know how they got in there as turns are very tight and eveyone is pretty packed together there - but you are very close to Key West that way. I do not advise taking the Newell onto Key West - especially for the next couple years as North Roosevelt is under construction and the entire place is a traffic nightmare.

Russ

Newell Attack
08-18-2012, 11:43 PM
KOA has a large RV park on Fiesta Key, very pricey

The Newell
08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
A few years ago we stayed at sunshine key,KOA in May for three weeks.The rates are alot cheaper but it tends to be warmer.We had a great time and I wish we could stay down there all winter.The campground is quiet during the week,but the locals come in on the weekends and can get a little loud.

express1
08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
One rule, bring wallet!
Thats the only reason you might not be allowed.

tuga
08-19-2012, 02:23 PM
The only rules that I am aware of is parking at a tourist trap or restaurant with the Newell. You know just pulling over on the shoulder of the highway for a few minutes. As you know, there are many little businesses along the highway and they don't want a 45' Newell w/tow car blocking the entrance to their establishment. If I remember, there are signs warning motorhomes not to park on the shoulder of the highway.

Aside from that, I can't think of any other rules that apply to motorhomes in the keys.

Of course, since land is in short supply RV parks and everything else is very expensive. I'm sure you experienced that when you traveled down there previously.

We have stayed at Sunshine Key RV park in Marathon and Bluewater RV park in Key West. Bluewater on the bay side is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I loved it. It was expensive but if you only stay a few days it's not too bad.

Gary&Terry
08-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Bluewater sounds beautiful would you happen to have a link, contact number or their website?

express1
08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
try Bluewater Rv Key West, FL
I could deliver your coach there for you:thumbsup:

tuga
08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Be aware if anyone lets Russo deliver their coach. He will spit-shine the enitre coach inside and out including the battery compartments which he will sand down and re-paint. The guy just can help himself - he loves to polish and clean!

Just kidding - Matt will care for your coach like it would be his own!

Gary&Terry
09-04-2012, 05:36 AM
try Bluewater Rv Key West, FL
I could deliver your coach there for you:thumbsup:

I'm sure we could work something out if your express about it ;) and throw in the spit-shine and paint!:thumbsup:

Terry