PDA

View Full Version : Our Trip West - What's available in Tombstone, AZ, Nice Resorts ? ?

trentone
08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
We will be heading west in October predominately along the I-10 in Arizona and would like to check out Tombstone and any other areas in the vicinity. Any suggestions for descent large size pull-thru’s would be grateful. How’s the dust and wind or weather in the area during October? Heard its starts cooling down a bit since its a little higher elevation. We’ve never traveled through the area with an RV.

ccjohnson
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Benson, AZ has some nice fairly new parks. Right on I-10. If you want to venture out a little further, we stayed at a very nice park south of Tucson on I-19 at Amado. It is an old greyhound racetrack that has been converted to an RV park. Brought back a lot of memories for me as I stayed at a KOA that was next door to the active racetrack +/- 1978 when I was working there. It is about 30 miles to Nogales if you want to go to Mexico. You will need a passport to get back into US. Also, I would recommend getting back before dark. October is in cool down mode from the highs of summer. Dust is usually not a problem until late Jan. Feb. & March. Be sure to check out the Sonoran Desert Museum and Old Tucson. A trip to Bisbe, AZ to see the Lavender Pit open pit copper mine might be fun also. Sight seeing trips would be best in a toad.

Newell Tank
08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Bisbee is a great place to check out as CCJohnson noted. Both Tombstone and Bisbee have a lot of history and are short drives off I-10. There are other interesting historical sites in the area as well. And there are several really good RV parks in the area including the ones suggested above. Good luck

Note: I'd stir away from the Stampede RV Park.

Texas Pete
08-20-2012, 01:56 AM
The others are right, Bisby is a hoot to visit and Tombstone is like a living museum. The Tombtone Territory Campground on Highway 82 is great, 60' foot slabbed lots and waqs brand new a few years ago, conveniant to both towns, and they are members of Passport America.

trentone
10-13-2012, 11:49 PM
The wife and I are departing Monday for the Arizona desert and plan on taking a week to get to Benson, AZ. Thanks for all the great suggestions they are being used to hopefully better our trip. We will try and document some of the trip as we can muster a wifi connection.