PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone to Grand Canyon

Gimpy
08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
We are planning a trip from our home in Erie, PA out west this Fall. As of now, we are planning on taking I-90 directly out to the Mount Rushmore area and staying for a few days. From there we are planning on going to Yellowstone. At this point, it looks like we may stay at the Grizzly RV park near the entrance to West Yellowstone. We will be there for a few days and then will be heading south to the Grand Canyon. Everything we have heard up to this point says that the South Rim is the way to go.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions on the route from Rushmore to Yellowstone and then south to the Canyon. Also would appreciate any opinions on areas in both the Yellowstone area and the Grand Canyon.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The Newell
08-20-2012, 05:13 AM
We have friends in Rapid City, SD and travel there every summer

From Rapid go south on #79 to the junction of #18 just east of Hot Springs, (take the truck route thru HS). Go west on #18 to the junction with #85 in WY. Go south to Lusk, WY follow #18 to the junction of I-25 at Orin, WY. Go north thru Casper to the junction of bypass #26 then west to Jackson and/or Y’stone. You will have to go over 9658 ft. Togwotee pass but all in all it isn’t that bad. Thousands of RVs do it every year.

If you a haven’t been to Y’stone, remember that it is about 180 miles around the loop road. Allow a full day for each loop. In going to Grizzly Bear I would recommend that you go to West thumb then stop at Old Faithful then on to Madison Junction to the town of W. Y’stone. That way you can see part of the lower loop on the way to W. Y’stone. At O/F follow the signs, there is plenty of parking for Rv’s at O/F.

Or maybe if you are planning on also seeing Grand Teton NP there are CG’s close to the junction of #26 and 191 you could stay there and day trip it to both YNP and GTNPs.