PDA

View Full Version : The Razer bug has bit!

Neweller
08-20-2012, 02:17 AM
The dealer enticed be to come down and look at his end of the year inventory, so I did yesterday. I'm thinking the RZR XP900 would be pretty cool. The new 2013 RZR 570 EPS in Gloss Black was pretty sweet too. Now the '13 570 would actually be $2000 less than a '12 XP900. I know a couple of you have these. Hauling inside a pickup would probably be the ticket it sounds behind a Newell. What about an open flatbed trailer hauled sideways with a smaller car too?

If you own one, what size RZR do you prefer and why? Do you think the 570 would have enough power? hmmm??????

Ken

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
A few years ago I purchased one of the original Polaris RZR. Traveling, so I cannot give your the model number. I think the engine is not as strong as their newer models, but I have used it several time at the Imperial Sand Dumes boarding Arizona and California. It can climb the highest dunes with two persons with no shortage of power. Hope this helps.

Neweller
08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks Chester for your thoughts. I used to have the tendency go after whatever was the bigger engine. And after being busted up a few times and getting a tad older I need to slow it down a some. And I prefer anything that has roll over protection.:blushing:

smagown
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm looking at them too. Ron Skeen came thru last week and had his in his pickup. The 800 fits but the 900 or S is too wide. Summersgal also carries their RZR in their towed. They all just returned from CO in their Newells w/RZR's.
Thanks,

Neweller
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
How about hauling on a trailer like one of these. I don't think it would be too long and if the heights were OK it could be a possibility.

speedingsport
08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Oh that's SWEET! I'd love to have a set up like that! I'm considering a RZR too.

Ron Skeen
08-21-2012, 12:53 AM
The best way to go is carry your 800 RZR (50 Inch) in your pick-up. I am working on a set up to carry the RZR on the back of the M/C and pull the Pick-up with a 1800 Goldwing and K1200 S BMW in the towed 1500 4x4 Dodge truck. I carry a can am outlander 1000 on the back of the coach now with no trouble, but the RZR is a 8 inches wided and 18 inches longer. I will modify the carry ramp which I have now to accommodate the RZR. This is my first year with the RZR after riding dirt bike and ATV for the last 40+ years and I will probably never go back to them. If I can be of help let me know.

Neweller
08-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Ron, can you post a pic of the set up your talking about. I have been looking the 1500 Ram's and currently have my Ram 3500 dually for sale since I don't have a good enough use for it any longer. Or you can email the pics and I'll upload them for you. I like those k1200's too, there cool. I'm weighing options out on different scenarios and when your trying to accomplish this type of knitty gritty it can get interesting.

Ken

folivier
08-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Ron, does your 1500 4x4 drive ok with the weight of the RZR in the back?
Thinking of doing the same and not sure if a 1500, or 1500HD or 2500 would be best.
Thanks.

Ron Skeen
08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I have lower my 1500 2" and installed ride rite air bags with pump. This was all bought at Summit Racing. I can email picture but don't know how to post. My wife did not like the ride height of the 4x4 stock suspension. We are country but don't like trucks you have to climb up to get in. I have a 99 4x4 Dakota I have set up the same way that haul two bike or ATV.

Neweller
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Forrest, I believe the Ram 1500 would be plenty good enough. The standard payload is right at 1909lbs and if the razors weigh in around 1000lbs depending on model and how equipped, that should be sufficient I would think. Another way I was thinking of going on my '11 Ram 3500 Mega Cab if I kept it was to put a nice looking aluminum bed on it to gain on the width and maybe cheat a little on the length. I have seen this done on the 1500 as well and I think a guy gains a little additional payload along with more hauling space. I have some pics I could share on those ideas.

Ken

The Newell
08-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi,

for reference I thought I would post a comparable Ford 150 CC V8 has a payload of 1660LBS and the Chevy CC V8 1937LBS Keep in mind these specs are for 2012 model trucks.

folivier
08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
If we do this it'll be either the Chevy or Dodge 4x4 so we can tow it easily. I'm not sure if the Ford's can be towed?

Neweller
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I have this link for some comparisons of RZR line up: RZR Sport Side by Sides: Polaris Side by Side ATVs (http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/sport-vehicles?WT.mc_id=9CCA001F-9CEB-E111-B07F-0050569A00BB&WT.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=)

Neweller
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Here's a sick little pup! Who want's one? 2689

Ron Skeen
08-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Rode here this summer in Moab.2690

Neweller
08-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Goooooooooo Ronnnnnnnnnnnn! Getting crazy! Nothing like a little summer blood boil!

Gone Busing
08-31-2012, 04:10 AM
Man you make that look fun. Wife knew I was even looking at another toy, I'd be in the dog house. Got to get that coach replacement first,. I could use some swear words to express myself but I won't.:tongue:

Summersgal
08-31-2012, 01:17 PM
We own a 2011 RZR 800, and haul it in the bed of a 2001 Dodge 1500 short bed. As mentioned above, the RZR 800S and the RZR 900 are to wide to fit in the bed. I am not sure of all the benefits of the RZR 570, it has the exact dimensions and is the same weight of the 800 with a smaller engine. The 800 does not have so much power that you would have to be concerned, and it has the same safety features of the 570. The 800 and the 570 both weigh in at 1000#. The 800 is quite a load in the back of the dodge, we have hauled it in the truck and towed behind the Newell for over 6000 miles now with no problem. Driving the truck with the RZR loaded is not a problem but the front of the truck does sit pretty high and the steering is light. Most of the weight of the RZR (800 or 570) is located low in the back, right over the rear wheels. With the RZR loaded as far forward in the truck, the rear wheels are sitting on the tailgate. This leaves the only thing supporting most of the weight is the two tailgate support cables. I was not comfortable with this and designed a support post and pad that comes up from the receiver and supports the tailgate. I am looking at purchasing a Dodge 4x4 long bed, this would allow me to tow the truck without disengaging the drive shaft (flat tow-able) and the RZR fit inside the bed with out sitting on the tailgate. We both really enjoy the RZR and would never consider going back to 4-wheelers. We had a wonderful time with Ron Skeen in Colorado a month ago, we both hauled the RZR's to the trail-heads and road all day and then loaded them up and went back to the rigs in the evenings with no issues. If you have not met Ron, it should be on the top of your bucket list. We feel very fortunate to have met Ron and look forward to a long and rewarding friendship. We rode the RZR 360 miles with Ron and then another 600 miles in Marysvale Utah staying at the South 40 RV park. This was a wonderful park and we will definitely be going back, you can ride right out of your sight and hit over 2000 miles of trails.

Jeff

Neweller
08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the nice insight. I'll probably go with something around the size of the RZR 800. I was going to buy a RZR 800 a couple years ago from Hymark Motorsports in CO, they offered me a pretty screaming deal, but timing wasn't right. It's been a while since I've done anything fun like this, its time to just do it! Mama says as long as it has a cage I've got the green light. I used to own sand rails and after my last one got stolen out in Oregon quite a few years ago, I was invited by a friend to go play on his tricked out 3-wheelers at the Oregon Dunes. To make a long story short, I got stupid landed down in a hole with the thing on top of me cracking several ribs, injured my back, broke my sternum and seriously out of commission for quite a while. A few years later I bought quads and had a lot of fun with them. It's just when man meets machine the animal magnetism comes out.:o I'm sure some can relate to that. I always thought if it was jump-able, I needed to try. After enough injuries I think I've learned my lesson. It is important to have a good suspension.:thumbsup:

Ken

folivier
09-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Jeff could you load the rzr backwards and get a better weight distribution?

smagown
09-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey Forest:
LA has a sales tax free (10% here) weekend next week so these RZR's are going like hotcakes here.
The dealer in Ruston had a '12 red 800 LE for 10,450 yesterday, I drove the 15 miles and it was sold when I got there.
The dealer in Monroe has a '13 red 800 LE for 11,500 so me thinks that is the route I'll take.
I've got a choice of an '04 or '12 Z71 and I'm going to load it backwards in each one and see how the truck handles.
Thanks,

Ron Skeen
09-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Best to install air bag helper on truck. Do not put bumper on the front and head in. The front tires will stop at bed and you will not touch the glass. It is safer to drive in and back out. Just got through hauling the rzr 6K miles loading and unloading 50 times and doing 1200 miles off road.

Neweller
09-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Ok, here's a 4 seater I checked out. The seller claims he has double the money he originally paid invested in it. My wife thinks we need a 4 seater. I don't know about going this extreme, I'm only looking. :drool: I'm going to look at another in the next day or so when the weather clears.

Whatcha think? Cool?2704270527062707

I'll take my tape measure to look at the next 4 seater to compare the difference to the 2 seaters. I'm guessing it will have to be a long bed.

Ron, is yours a 2 or 4 seater? In your picture going down the hill it looks longer like a 4 seater.

Ken

Ron Skeen
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Mine is 2 reg rzr. The picture is a 4 place? You can load the 4s in a 3/4 long bed which is close by running over the wheel wells. Take tape and do some measuring. Anything possible with a little thought.

Summersgal
09-03-2012, 04:14 AM
If you load it in backwards...you have to make sure that you do not have the windshield on, it will blow off. Not sure about the roof top, it would catch allot of air.

Neweller
09-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Here's another I checked out locally and the guy invested over $30,000 in it and hardly even drove it. He's onto another toy. LOL Shhhhhssss.....Don't tell the wife his next project is going to be double the investment.

2826 Carbon fiber doors! Sweet, Right! Whatcha think?

Don't worry about me, I'll probably get a stock version to keep myself out of trouble. I've got another deal on the hook for a two-seater but the wife thinks I should get a four-seater. hmm?

Summersgal
09-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Ken

4 seater will not fit in the back of a pickup...just saying! :-)

Neweller
09-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Jeff, I hear ya. That's part of the struggle on the decision. The wife is wanting more room for additional guests instead of having to haul a couple of units. I may pick up this 800 2 seater this week just because. Do guys have a place close to home you take yours out and ride?

Summersgal
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
We have a couple of places that are about 45 mins from the house that we can go ride for the day. And Little Sahara Sand Dunes are 4 hours which makes good for a weekend trip.

We are leaving on the 28th to go and meet Ron and go to WV and spend a week riding the Hatfield/McCoy trail system!

You just have to figure out which one will fit your needs the most :-)

Pam

folivier
09-17-2012, 12:00 PM
The thing that makes the RZR unique is the 50" width. That'll fit down many trails limited to 4 wheelers, and also will fit in the back of a regular size truck bed. When we're ready to buy that'll be the one we get. Either a 570 or 800. But gotta trade the Liberty for a truck first.

Ron Skeen
09-17-2012, 12:33 PM
If your going to do trails out west you should consider the 800. You need the extra power because of the altitude you are riding with the power loss. The 50 inch work great because a lot of places in Utah are limited to the 50's. Cam am Marvick has just come out with a new side x side that over 100 HP but is 64". I have modify my rack on the back of the coach for the RZR but have not got to try it yet. Might get a chance with Jeff & Pam going the Hatfield McCoy in a couple of weeks.

Ron Skeen
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Neweller
09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Very Nice Ron & Jean. I like it! :thumbup:And I see you're not taking any chances with that spare. I can remember plugging hundreds of holes on quad and tires doing the desert rambling. Did you actually go through that opening? Looks like maybe Colorado? The wife said, she likes it too!

Pam, that Little Sahara is about 6 hrs from us. Never been there but have spoken with a couple of guys who say that is one of the places they go. Back in the rail days we always wanted the tallest sand mountains we could find. We would try to avoid the holiday weekends. LOL Wish these side by sides were more common place back then, nothing like breaking something on a sandrail and twiddling your thumbs the rest of the weekend unless you brought a bike or three-wheeler/quad.

My wife prefers the trails over the sand because, she thinks I'm going to get crazy going fast and jumping.:ahhhhh:I don't need to do that anymore. Just want to take in the scenery more now. She'll like it better now.

Ken

Ron Skeen
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
The picture at the gate was in Maryvale Ut riding out of the South 40 RV Park. I did not get through because of aftermarket wheels. You pretty much have to leave the stock 50 inch as is to get through gates. Right about Ouray CO riding with Jeff & Pam in the other 3 pictures. Mountain bikes are great but I am too old for the work which it take. The SxS you can see in 2hrs what it take all day on bike, Horseback or foot. It's where you can go and what you can see is unbelivable from the off road. Almost every state has off road trails and so when you been to all 50 states than you start the off road. I have been bless to have been in every state by car, motorcycle, and M/C and now I am working on Off Roading

paultracy3
09-19-2012, 02:57 AM
i have a 08 800 razor , lots of fun . its a good get around vehicle if you are in a state that allows them on the street . the 900 is kickazz fast