PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the play out of steering box ?

Twins
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
I have several inches of play at the steering wheel. After all of the joints checked out OK the only place there is any play is in the box. How do you adjust the play out of it? I'm not sure if you need to know the year of our newell but if it will help I have a 1977 Newell Coach.

77newell
08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Twins: I played around with my 77 coach's gearbox (Ross) and what I did is contained in several posts on this site, you can search based upon my name; 77newell to find them quickly. A couple things I would note off the top. Adjusting this box is not straightforward, play is normal when the engine isn't running, eventually the seals inside go to heaven (or hell, your choice) and the unit needs overhaul. After tweaking mine as far as we could I had it overhauled and am glad I did.

Jon - 77 coach civic toad

MrE
08-21-2012, 03:53 AM
I have an 86, so it might not be the same steering column, but if it is this will help. I had some play in mine, and did some Internet searching and discovered it is quite common for the Sagina steering column to get sloppy over time. There are 4 torx head bolts that are used to connect the lower housing to the column that need to be re-tightened. Be sure to use red loctite (263) so that you don't have to do it again. Here's a link that will step you through the process. http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Hope this helps...