PDA

View Full Version : Inadequate AC - 1986 40'

86loco
05-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I have heard of coaches being modified to enable the roof air conditioners to operate while on the road. Do you have any suggestions as to the proper modification to use?

Neweller
05-24-2008, 04:43 PM
The only problem that I have encountered is that it is necessary to start the generator while the coach is standing still. There is a squirrel cage blower that supplies air for generator cooling. At times the ram air can get fan running backwards while the coach is moving. If you start the generator while this condition exists it can continue to turn backwards and not provide the necessay air to cool. Other than this we haven't had any problems running the air conditioners while underway.

Ken

86loco
05-25-2008, 05:24 AM
That's a good thought. Thanks Ken!

The Newell
05-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Ken, I would have never thought about starting the genset first.

Thanks for the idea too.

TechTalk
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
The problem of the generator fan turning backwards after being started during driving can be cured by installing a new fan and motor designed to reverse the air flow. The parts required to make this change can be ordered by calling Jim Gering, the Newell service manager, at 1-888-363-9355. If you prefer not to incur the expense and trouble of making the change, be sure to start the generator while the coach is stopped.

86loco
06-19-2008, 01:12 AM
My next question is how about possibility of using an inverter with power from the engine electrical system to run the 110v. system! What are the thoughts about this? I've currently went to the use of the generator but do not like to do it that way.