PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Oil when traveling

DavidBall
08-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone, As I'm rolling in the Newell I started thinking and figured I would ask does anyone know of good locations for oil changes when traveling! Do you stop at Camping Worlds or What?

MrE
08-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I personally would go to a Detroit Diesel shop than Camping World. When I was in the local DD shop recently they had a price of $289 for an oil change. They will have all the filters and straight 40w oil in stock and probably won't need to be told to only fill it to the add mark.

Neweller
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Jon is right about stocking filters and such. If you have any kind of truckers directory, you can call ahead of your route to the different truck stops and confirm pricing and filter availability. The problem in the past with DD's was the availability of the right type of diesel oil. Camping World and a lot of truck stops did not carry oil for the DD's. I always carried extra filters and enough oil for a change. I would take advantage of Napa Auto Parts whenever they would run the 1/2 off specials and buy two sets of all filters. Napa would usually run a big special on oil at the same time.

I keep a list with me handy of the shops that do this kind of maintenance in case the need for service arises.

Ken

Will Procter
08-27-2012, 01:28 AM
literally every truck stop along the way will have the capability. Be sure to use the correct oil for your application (Dello 400?)

The Newell
08-27-2012, 01:30 AM
make sure the label states CF-2
Happy Newelling,

Joseph

Hugo
08-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I agree with Ken it's a good idea to keep a list handy with you of shops that can do maintenance or services if they arise. We map this out along our route for the "just in case" scenarios and then we also figure out if we will need to stop for such maintenance and with a list handy you can easily call a few days before you should arrive to schedule for a shop to take you in if needed.

lbrachfe
08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
When in Texas I highly recommend www.rvmobilelube.com (http://www.rvmobilelube.com) .. John is the owner and very thorough and reasonable. He travels to you and based in Hill Country, Kerrville area