PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom TV upgrade (replace your old CRT TV)

MrE
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
When I got my 1986 it had a Sony (really heavy, deep and square) TV and a separate VCR/DVD player. I started searching the Internet for something to replace them, and found a 24" widescreen LED TV with a built in DVD player that would fit the space and had some favorable options. Uses less power than a 50w light bulb, AC/DC compatible, only weighs 10 pounds and only 2" thick. I had a couple of large holes to deal with, so I chose to match the cabinetry and build a fake door that would be my new TV mount. I was able to match the laminate at Home Depot (Wilsonart) and get the whole job done for under $300.

fulltiming
09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice work Jon.

express1
09-01-2012, 04:59 PM
sorta did the same in our coach. Now have 3 hd lcds.

Neweller
09-01-2012, 05:05 PM
There it is! Sweet job Jon.:thumbup:

Matt, looks like you're living it up on the road. :thumbsup:

The Newell
09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Awesome Work Jon!

Randy J
09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Sweet upgrades guys.

Jon I like the way you did it. Making the fake door. To cover up the hole. Nice you were able to match up the laminate. Thanks for sharing it!

3 hd lcds? to cool!

speedingsport
03-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Looks good Jon! Nicely done. :thumbup:

GORDON HUMMEL
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
This was a 26" TV that I had laying around, but worked fine. Because of it's size I had to mount it at an angle so it would fit, but that worked out better. I also had to cut the wall so that the TV was actually inset on the left into the wall. This also allowed room to walk past it! Previously, there was a mirror there that was held on with RTV. It came off in pieces, & in doing so actually pulled off some of the formica. If you look closely, under the TV, is a portion of the doors that were in the front tv console, now used to cover up cracked formica. This was done in 2010.

Update, I have since changed the bedroom, turning the bed 90 degrees. This added a substancial amount of storage, but made it harder to make the bed.

Update II, This Saturday I was in the process of installing a new 47" TV in the front console. The console needed some mods.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not have new tv under heavy TV bracket when working on bracket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fulltiming
03-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Great job Gordon. Hope the new TV wasn't damaged too badly.

JustDustin
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Gordon, the bedroom tv looks great. Now if we can, let's see the new big guy! :thumbsup: Also if you'd start a thread sharing your bedroom update I think a lot of us would enjoy seeing what you've done. :thumbup:

GORDON HUMMEL
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Michael,
From what I've been told & found on the net, LED/LCD panels are not available nor worth repairing
I believe I have the first 47" SMART WIFI 3D RADIO !

CAPTWatson
03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Gordon I agree the cost of replacement for a new screen isn't worth it. For the price you're better off buying a brand new TV.

GringoPhil
03-19-2013, 10:26 PM
This was a 26" TV that I had laying around, but worked fine. Because of it's size I had to mount it at an angle so it would fit, but that worked out better. I also had to cut the wall so that the TV was actually inset on the left into the wall. This also allowed room to walk past it! Previously, there was a mirror there that was held on with RTV. It came off in pieces, & in doing so actually pulled off some of the formica. If you look closely, under the TV, is a portion of the doors that were in the front tv console, now used to cover up cracked formica. This was done in 2010.

Update, I have since changed the bedroom, turning the bed 90 degrees. This added a substancial amount of storage, but made it harder to make the bed.

Update II, This Saturday I was in the process of installing a new 47" TV in the front console. The console needed some mods.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not have new tv under heavy TV bracket when working on bracket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordon,

I like what you did so whenever your ready my coach is available for your tv upgrade services :thumbsup:

Phil

GORDON HUMMEL
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Just realized I never posted a picture of where the 26" tv ended up in the bedroom. This was temporary until I could find a lighter one & hang from the ceiling or overhead wall cabinet. This current spot was determined by finding a place that would allow opening the 4 doors & 1 draw that it could block; I call it a cloud mounting. There is a loose pin hinge in the closet door jam that allows the "L" shaped piece of wood, the TV is mounted to, to be moved around to allow access to all area's needed! Also in this position, I can open the mirrored door at the head of the bed 1/2 way and have the picture reflected to the new mirror mounted to the PS closet. This way I can watch the TV no matter which side I sleep on.

My current plan is to replace the rear mirrored door at the foot of the bed with a new tv.The TV will be mounted to a turntable on slides. When stowed, the TV will be turned 90 deg & closed flush with the other rear cabinet doors. When in use, the door will be opened 45 deg & the TV will actually be cantilevered over the bed. I'll bet the new TV will weight less than the mirror!

More to come!

86loco
03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Is this what we call the "tv shuffle"? Gordon you may become the tv expert around here. It is amazing how light the led tvs are, what were they thinking with those plasma's? Did Phillips ever come out on their investment?

GORDON HUMMEL
06-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Just about finished installing the new TV, without breaking it. My goal was to get the top of the TV lined up with cabinet doors to get a factory look. Top in & out spacing is controlled by washers & verticle spacing is controlled by either adjustments to the mounting of the bracket(S) or the TV mounting. Because the TV is on an angle to line up with the doors, a single change in one direction effects the other direction. While this TV is 1/2 the weight of my old 42", it still takes 3 people to remove the TV from the bracket to make an adjustment.

When I installed the original 42" LCD in 2008, I had planned on installing it flush with the new @ the time glass cabinet doors. While operating that TV when working on the overhead bracket, I realized that the heat it generated would have been retained in the top of the cabinet. The only viable solution was to move the TV out about 4".

The new TV doesn't even get warm to the touch & is rated @ $10 a year for electrical. It is only 24.5" tall, 2" less than the old 42" TV. The internal speaker are aimed down & don't sound bad, but I use a surround sound system so I don't used the tv speakers.

Still need to order a new left hand glass door that is 3/4" narrower.

This TV was on sale @ Costco for $650; Model 47LM6700.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-05-2013, 04:33 PM
4183I found a Panasonic Hi-Def LCD TV that fits perfectly within the space that was previously occupied by the old tube TV. The Panasonic model is TC-L37E5 and is exactly 34 1/2" wide which in the space without modifying any part of the overhead other than removing the old Sony and its door. I attached it with a heavy duty swivel wall mount which makes access easy, and I installed a center speaker to the surround system in the space above the new TV. I am posting this for those that have a similar overhead and want to upgrade without chopping up the overhead. As you can see from the photo attached, the Panasonic is large enough to provide good viewing. While it is not necessary, i matched it with a Wineguard Hi-Def antenna.