PDA

View Full Version : What Tires Do I Need for a 1973 '73 Newell Coach That is 31' in Length

Bob Marlatt
07-15-2001, 11:01 PM
I have just purchased a 1973 Newell coach (31') that needs tires all around. Since I don't have the original manual that came with the rig, I can't determine the weight or distribution of weight for the coach. Can you recommend the correct tires I should purchase? Are the front tires different from the rear?

Thanks,
Bob Marlatt
1973 Newell Coach
Super Classic 31'

TechTalk
07-16-2001, 12:24 AM
While the original tires installed on your 1973 Newell are probably shown on the build documents we have on file, the changes in tire technology and the possible changes to the motor home in almost 20 years make this information irrelevent. You wouldn't want the original make and model tires, probably a now obsolete tubed tire, even if they were still available. Our recommendation: Weigh each axle of the coach with full fuel and fresh water tanks. Then go down to your local Michelin truck tire dealer with one of your wheels (assuming they are all the same size, which almost certainly was the case when new) and find out what steel belted radial tires Michelin currently offers that will both 1) fit on your wheels and 2) give you a good weight capacity margin. While you are at it, you might need to invest in a new set of wheels to fit your existing hubs.