PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher Placement in Your Newell Coach?

Neweller
09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Most RV's come with either one portable fire extinguisher or some large more expensive motorhomes have an on-board extinguishing system.

What type and size do you have on your coach and where is it stored or mounted?

Do you have more than one?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

fulltiming
09-16-2012, 04:30 AM
We have one in the bedroom closet and one beside the drivers seat. Both are Halon.

folivier
09-16-2012, 01:23 PM
My '93 has 1 in bedroom closet & 1 by drivers seat, also automatic halon in generator bay, and manual extinguisher (co2 I think) mounted in engine bay on curbside.

fulltiming
09-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Forest, thanks for the reminder that I have those 2 outside the coach also.

speedingsport
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
You should have at least three fire extinguishers for your coach. I keep four on hand - I have one in the galley, one in the bedroom, one at the front of the coach and I keep one outside of the coach in the basement compartment (make sure it's one that you keep unlocked). I also keep one in my tow vehicle.

Archie T. Hogan
09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Seems that the chemical in an A B C class fire extinguisher contains,

"monammonium phosphate"

which is "highly corrosive to aluminum".

Should one be discharged ,

it "flows into cracks an crevices and can't be washed out".

"To avoid corrosive destruction, the vehicle must be disassembled to manually clean the surfaces right down to the rivets."

advice is a B-C type extinguisher ,

the chemicals can be washed out.

NewellCrazy
09-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I always have carried a CO2 extinguisher (no mess to clean up, & I can get it charged free), but thanks for the heads-up Archie!

folivier
09-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Just remember if using a CO2 extinguisher in a small confined space that you are displacing oxygen. Use it to put out a fire but plan to get out ASAP.

prairieschooner
09-25-2012, 02:18 AM
I have 2 Halotrons. One for the Galley and 1 just Outside the Engine Compartment. We also carry another 3 Dry Chemicals at similar locations.

stewart33
09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
We keep two inside and one in a basement compartment as well as one outside of the engine compartment.

JustDustin
10-13-2012, 05:36 PM
My take is you should have at least two Fire extinguishers. Make it three or four, that in my opinion isn't going overboard either. Be sure you get a chemical extinguisher that is good for any type of fire.