PDA

View Full Version : Another AGM batteries Thread

Novice Traveler
09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
After I activated the charger on the inverter I noticed the batteries making a gurgling sound. Is this normal with AGM batteries? I have a Prosine 3000 inverter/charger.

I want to make sure I don't hurt my new batteries so I killed the charger function for now.

prairieschooner
09-18-2012, 10:35 PM
1st check the Charge Rate. Read the manual to find out how to set up the charge rate for the AGM Batteries and possibly the ap hour of the battery bank. I am not so sure about the gurgling sound..

Novice Traveler
09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
the Prosine says its putting out 28.8 volts that correct??

prairieschooner
09-19-2012, 02:15 AM
What is the Voltage on that System? We only have 12 Volts so the Charge rate is around 14.4 Volts. Sounds like you system should be 24 Volts otherwise that would be a problem.
Take a Volt Meter and measure without the charger functioning. to find out the voltage, sorry bit I am not familiar with the newer coaches, if that is what it is. Add the year of your coach to your signature so we know more.

GringoPhil
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Novice,

I called lifeline batteries and was told you need to charge 1 battery at a time then tie the batteries together and they won't gurgle if you get AGM's hot enough to vent you will have trouble

Gringo

The Newell
09-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Often but not always chargers will have a setting for AGM that is different than for wet cells. Mostly they're the same but the higher voltage used in wet cell systems for equalizing is something you do NOT want to feed to an AGM. If you don't have an AGM setting available, maybe another charging system is something to consider. they shouldn't gurgle, and if steam is coming out, you're loosing irreplacable electrolyte and again, killing them. Their vent system is "emergency only" and should never open under normal circumstances.