PDA

View Full Version : Depreciation Value of a Newell Coach?

Jon ghiles
09-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Have any of you calculated the money lost when you sold or traded coaches. We have the chance to purchase a 2001 newell from a family member for 195,000. How much money would we lose in two, four, five or ten years down the road if we kept the coach that long.

lbrachfe
09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Your not losing anything. When you go on a vacation and spend $3000 do you consider that money lost ? Owning a coach costs money whether you use it or not. It will not go up in value and is not an investment. There is only one thing you should be calculating and that is if you are really ready for the responsibility that goes along with the lifestyle. Nobody will ever tell you this is a cheap way to live or travel and the return you get on your money is intangible.

fulltiming
09-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree with Larry. If you want a number, look at anywhere from 5-10% per year of the remaining value at the time (not of the price you paid for it). Of course the better deal you get on a coach, the lower percentage it will depreciate. Heck, if you get a killer deal like Tom and do a lot of the work yourself to bring it up to the condition you want, you may actually have an investment that you can sell for more than you paid for it.

lbrachfe
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Tom has skills like few others and those skills are very valuable and worth big bucks. Even if Tom bought that new coach for nothing he still has a fortune in parts and time in it and you almost never get back the cost of the details that a total gut job or rebuild costs you

The Newell
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree as well, Motor Homes and cars are depreciating assets. You will almost always loose money on them If you look at it in that fashion. Having now said that, there are ways to midigate the losses. Buying used is probably one of the best. Buy one three to five years old after it has taken the greatest hit from depreciation. I agree this is a lifestyle and you must be ready for the responsibility that is associated with it.

Neweller
09-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Interesting dialog here. Because of this great economy we are currently enjoying (being sarcastic), the prices of Newell's are all over the place. The rich get richer in times like this. With the internet it can help you or break you (just a lot of good vs. bad comes along with it). I could only imagine the money someone could save or make on a Newell if the web wasn't around. I remember back in the 80's economy if you knew your markets could get wealthy overnight, those days are far and few between because the web has equalized out so many things. Little guys can compete with bigger guys and so forth. There is still a lot of who you know and do not know playing a part.

If you are worried about loosing on the purchase of a Newell or any RV for that part, 95% of us will probably loose. Now if you take into account the enjoyment you have had while living it up in your Newell that may be priceless to some. If you think you may save money living in a Newell, that may not become a reality. I thought that and it never worked out for me. And that is with a lot of my own sweat equity. I do 90% of own repairs because I like it, not because I had to. Now there have been times in my life I had done repairs on vehicles because of financial despair or the sake of time. Sometimes I think the only thing I accomplished in doing my own repairs was self satisfaction and even a waste of valuable time I could have spent better with my family.

Sorry, enough of my rambling. Jon to answer your question in my personal opinion only, a 2001 in 10 years will likely be worth a little more than say what a 90-92 is worth in excellent shape today and that is about 1/4 of maybe what the 2001 is worth now.