PDA

View Full Version : I am seriously contemplating an "automatic" awning

Scott Whitney
09-23-2012, 05:50 AM
I am seriously contemplating an "automatic" awning and would like to know if anyone can compare and contrast the ZipDee vs. the Girard in terms of usability, reliability etc. other than the obvious. I have learned that the Girard is 110V and armless and the ZipDee is 12V and has arms. The difference in voltage and arms vs. armless really makes no difference to me so it's the other "features" that I am interested in comparing.

What are the good features and drawbacks of each and how would you compare them to A&E or Carefree etc. My only previous experience has been with A&E awnings on my last rv which was a class A.

Thanks..

Scott

The Newell
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
To answer your question Zip Dee enjoys a reputation of quality and high price. They also pioneered the curved arm awning for applications with a curved roofline. Girard was, until a few years ago, focused on the home and commercial awning business. Their armless awning has been around for years and I believe that theirs is the longest extension of all. I know of owners with them and they love them. Remote control and high quality UV treated fabric that actually looks porous but never leaks water!