PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter life span

Cheri Smith
09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Are there any way to install an indicator to determine when filters are reaching the end of their life span.

Cheri Smith

Newell Attack
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
unless you have a "fuel filter" warning light, the only way I know is trial & error.

folivier
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
You can add a vacuum gauge, not sure of the readings but it will change as the filter gets clogged.
How about it Steve?

prairieschooner
09-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Yes RACOR has a Fuel Filter with a Vacuum Gauge. The Vacuum Gauge will indicate a Clogged Filter. On Yachts another option would be a Second Filter with a Bypass Valve to continue on your way, Not sure why we don't use it........I may be adding something like this.

TheCarabiners
09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I have the owners manuals to be fairly accurate on replacement miles. You will know if you go too far because your engine will not perform the same. More smoke, loss of power, etc. We carry replacement filters with us at all times. If I do go too long and we are not near a parts shop...no problem. I don't make a habit out of it, but if I must change it, I stop at a Walmart. They have a big lot and I can change it and not be shut down too long. I always carry a 1 gallon gas can in the coach. I go in and buy a gallon of water. I pour the water in a pitcher, quart jars, drinking glass, if it is distilled...our batteries, or just pour it out. It costs 89cents! Then I cut the top open, but still leave the handle. Now I have a carry bucket for the fuel that leaks and the old filter. For 1 more dollar, I can buy a roll of paper towels to soak up the fuel. If I'm at a Supercenter, I can get a gallon of diesel to fill the filter before putting it on. In just minutes I have a new filter, on my way, and nobody even noticed me.

Just a tip that works for me.
Steve