PDA

View Full Version : combo or stackable washer dryer which work better

Archie T. Hogan
10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
We are looking to add either a stackable or combo unit. I am looking for the pros and cons of both. The wife thought about just purchasing a dryer since most places we stay at seem to have washers. The dryers are always the expense. We have been told stackables work better than then combos. Looking for advice.

Thanks,

Archie

prairieschooner
10-01-2012, 02:50 AM
We have 1982 vintage KENMORE apartment type stacked. They still work great.

NewellCrazy
10-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Hello Archie,

My DW did not want to loose the three drawers the w/d was mounted on, so we got a vented combo unit. I really don't see a big deal about either one. Start a load in the morning and let it run during the day. No big deal IMHO to do one load a day.

speedingsport
10-01-2012, 03:07 AM
The combos work great but remember these are small, not your large machine at home and they can only handle a small load.

Neweller
10-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Depending on how much laundry you going to do will determine which set-up you should have. The combo's are for very small loads and the stackers will do a much larger load. Personally for myself it has to be a stacker washer and dryer.

I have a virtually new combo I would sell reasonable.

stewart33
10-01-2012, 03:42 AM
We have 1982 vintage KENMORE apartment type stacked. They still work great.

Orignal huh? That's cool it still works great!

farmell
10-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Never owned a combo model but know folks that do. I like the two stack ables I've owned. The folks I know who own the combo models are probably about 1/2 and 1/2 pleased.

prairieschooner
10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Original huh? That's cool it still works great!

Yep, well they did take a little maintenance but much easier than trying to fit new ones in the old hole.
One load a day and all day would not work out well. The wife does the laundry and you know the saying....Happy Wife Happy Life!

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I have owned motorhomes with the combos, and they are slow, handle only small loads and cost too much. I now have an 11 year old Kenmore house type combination washer with dryer on top. Works just like a home unit, but of course, it takes more space.

fulltiming
10-01-2012, 03:48 PM
As to the original question, which works better, the stacked units are larger and if the dryer is 240 volts "work better". Space issues may dictate a different answer. If you run 1 or two small loads per day, the combo unit will likely work well for you. If you store up your laundry and want to do a lot of laundry in one day, you need to either go to a laundromat or at least have stacked units. By drying one load while washing another, you can significantly reduce the time required. We used to put a load on in our combo unit and leave. We don't do that anymore. We had a load of laundry catch on fire during the dry cycle. Fortunately, I was in the coach and smelled something burning. Couldn't find anything until I opened the closet door and saw flames inside the combo. Now we shut off everything but the A/C units when we leave. I don't think I would now leave a dryer running while I was gone regardless of what brand or type (stacked or combo). Heck, now we turn off the dryer at home when we leave for a hour or two.

JT.Booth
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Combo Pros: takes up less space, Cons: Take to much time to wash and dry, doesn't hold much.

Stackables Pros: Holds more, washes and dryers better, Cons: Takes up more space.

jack14r
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I love my Bosch washer and dryer,I also had a set of Asko washer and dryers in a Marathon coach that were very good also.

voyager1
10-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Gentlemen - Could we hear from you responders as to the Model of your Washer/Dryer combination units or stacked units?

That would be:

Prairieschooner - 1982 Kenmore Stacked Washer & Dryer Model#

Jack14r - Bosch Washer & Dryer - Model#'s
Asko Washer & Dryer - Model#'s

Chester B. Stone Jr - 11 yr. old Kenmore combination W/D - Model#

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

voyager1

----------------------

Neweller
10-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Jack, is that Bosch a stacker set up or combo? What's the model number? This is an important item on my future shopping list. I want an efficient kick butt washer and dryer like I have at home.

Another question I might add on the heavier duty larger capacity set-up whatever they may be, what is the largest thing you can wash? The less I have to go to the laundry facility the better.

prairieschooner
10-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Please remind me in a month or so. I will not remove the Owner's Manual but we should be aboard by then. Anyway a 1982 vintage KENMORE Apartment stack-able. The coach only had about 110K miles on it when we got it so who knows how many loads were run through it.....I bet not many!!!!!!!!!!!

folivier
10-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Kenmore stacked washer n dryer, 120volt.

NewellCrazy
10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
2009 Newell's came with this option: Brand is Artiston.

Sean

jack14r
10-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Steve,The Bosch washer # WAS20160US and the dryer # WTV 76100US which is a vented dryer,they are not huge but they do all but bed sperads for me.

Neweller
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Jack, thanks for the info. Have you ever thrown in a throw rug or two?

stewart33
10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Jack the Bosch washer and dryer sound like a nice size unit. Most units for homes cannot handle bed spreads either so not much of a loss there.

We have the combo washer and dryer, not to happy with it myself. Like others said it takes way to long!

Neweller
10-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Sean, do you know anything about the Artiston brand. I have seen a couple of different models in the newer Newell's. Not sure which one Newell Coach believes is the better model from owners. It would be nice to get some feedback. Of course firsthand right here on the site will work if get enough responses.

We are like a Newell Coach Consumer Guide around here.:thumbup:

NewellCrazy
10-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Ken,

Here is some info:

Ariston Vented Dryer

Measures just 32 3/4"H x 23 1/2"W x 22 3/4"D yet boasts up to 4.0 cubic feet of drying capacity.

This dryer not only dries more laundry—up to 13 lbs. load capacity—but also helps to dry it more evenly with less fabric wrinkling, thanks to bi-directional drum rotation. Features include an extra-large door opening, 3 timed cycles, Sensor Dry, Easy Iron and a Low Heat option. Refer to the control panel's "Sample Load Chart" when selecting a drying time, or choose the Sensor Dry cycle and the dryer will stop automatically when the laundry is dry. The Easy-Clean lint filter is located in the front of the stainless steel drum instead of the back for easy cleaning.
Drying Options

Adjustable dry timer
Air fluff
Easy iron
Low heat
Auto dry

fulltiming
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
The last three Newell have listed, 1466, 1467 and 1479 all have Whirlpool stacked 220 volt washer/dryer units in them.

jack14r
10-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Yes I have washed 3 bath mats at one time and these washers do a great job.

Randy J
10-03-2012, 01:32 AM
We got one of those combos. Came in the coach when we bought it. Leeann doesn't like it to much. So she goes to the laundry mat. She says its easier for her to get it done. I don't argue with the boss! lol!

JohnC
10-03-2012, 06:56 PM
We have used combos and stackers of many brands and better-half still prefers stackable. One of my check-list items when I'm choosing a show coach for Indio or rallies.

Dan B
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
If space isn't an issue, the stackables win hands down. If you don't have space for stackables, make sure your combo unit is VENTED to the outside. That moisture needs a place to escape when you are drying clothes.