PDA

View Full Version : Batteries completely drained now boiling over

Jim Barclay Sr.
10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I was going to replace my batteries but I need to know how to check my converter to make sure it's not over charging, I don't want to ruin new batteries. Our Newell had been sitting awhile and the batteries were drained completely so I decided to plug it in and checked the water level to find some of the cells to be low or close to empty, I refilled with distilled water and checked periodically only to find some of the cells low again. Could the converter be over charging trying to charge the bad cells causing it to boil out or is the problem my converter? After I install new batteries what kind of reading should I get and where do I take the readings from the converter or at the battery?

Regards,

Jim

prairieschooner
10-01-2012, 10:43 PM
It does sound like you may have a dead cell or two. Not sure about the battery charger you have. I would start with a Volt Meter and find out what the Voltage is.

The Newell
10-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Possibly but I think I'd be looking closely at the case if it's loosing liquid that quickly. Measure the voltage while the batteries are charging to tell if the converter is putting out too much