PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Newell Coach exhaust brake whistling

Ron in South Dakota
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I need some expert advise, Over this past weekend I test drove a 1994 Newell that was recently serviced and exhaust brake repaired. When the brake was applied, I heard this whistling jet type sound when the transmission down shifts in to the lower gears. Is this normal or should I be concerned that this particular newell could have a major problem and move on?

Neweller
10-03-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't that would be a major concern. What did the seller say about it? I have heard jake's make that kind of sound. Check for maybe something loose on the exhaust like bolts of connections. I would not kick this unit down the road over that quite yet.

NewellCrazy
10-03-2012, 11:55 PM
I would suspect a leaking exhaust pipe maybe. Definitely not a reason in my book to pass. If there is nothing wrong with it besides a possible exhaust leak and if the price is right buy it and join our family! Remember Can't go wrong with a Newell !!!!

GringoPhil
10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Normal. Since you are essentially blocking the exhaust escape through the butterfly, you will get a noticeable hiss/whistle when activated.

fulltiming
10-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Technically, a 1994 would have a Jake Brake rather than an exhaust brake. A Jake Brake works by closing the exhaust valves to, in essence turn the engine into a big air compressor. It should make a fast rattling sound (like a big truck only much less loud).