PDA

View Full Version : Using large solar panels 200W +

Dom Ferris
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm finding numerous larger solar panels for costs of $1.00 to $1.25 per watt. This of course means two panels is all that I'd need. I've read many times that just a small amount of shade on a panel "kills" the output. Has anyone installed one of the 200+ watt panels on an RV, and how satisfied were you with the results.

Thanks,

Dom Ferris

The Newell
10-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Be careful of cheap panels. Research the manufacturer and the warranty, there are some that have none. High quality will last 30-40 years and have a 10 year warranty.
Shade on cheaper panels is more critical, a quality panel will still produce power even when partially shaded but at a reduced out put.

NewellCrazy
10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Every panel is different so you will need to post the make and model. Basically it will depend on how many bypass diodes and voltage.

And what are the shade issues? Trees, air conditioner, tv/satellite antenna etc?

Generally shade will about kill the output.

farmell
10-05-2012, 04:33 PM
moderators please delete this post as i made a mistake and reposted

farmell
10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Every panel is different so you will need to post the make and model. Basically it will depend on how many bypass diodes and voltage.

And what are the shade issues? Trees, air conditioner, tv/satellite antenna etc?

Generally shade will about kill the output.

I guessing this is where having a tilt mechanism comes in handy? What degree of tilt being on the roof would be best?

Neweller
10-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Mike your exactly right, you need about a 15 degree tilt as the norm. The other available route is mounting to a solar tracking system.