PDA

View Full Version : When did Newell come out with slides?

CAPTWatson
10-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Good day folks.

I don't know much about the Newell coach. I keep reading here to learn as I go I read that nice thread about the pros and cons of slides. I appreciate the information and I believe the pros out weigh the cons. Anyway, I didn't see a mention of when Newell coaches came out with the options of slide outs?

NewellCrazy
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Captwatson,

Introduction of slide out on Newells came about in 1997. 1997-1999 most having 1-2 slides. 2001 brought triple & quad slide units. Today Newell Coach continues on track building mainly quad slide but will occasionally build a triple slide when requested although when it comes to resale value quad slides hold their value best.

CAPTWatson
10-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Appreciate the answer Sean. Thank you.

fulltiming
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Newell introduced their first slide out in the 1997 models about mid year. Coach number 458, owned by Steve Magown is one of the first, if not the first slide coach build by Newell. I think you can safely say that prior to coaches with a VIN ending in the 450's none of the Newells had slide outs.

CAPTWatson
10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Appreciate the reply, Thank you. :)

smagown
10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Captn:
My single slide was Newell's first. If you level the coach before slide operation you will have no problems. I've taken mine in for adjustment once in four years of ownership. I extended the slide with the coach at a severe angle front to back. While retracting it went in slow so I took it in. No water leaks at all.

rheavn
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Steve,
Leveling the coach before slide operation is backwards from my owner's manual and what I have been instructed by Newell. I've been told to extend and retract slides only in the "travel" mode and at ride height. I questioned the Newell procedure because my Country Coach, which had a HWH slide, called for only extending or retracting the slide after leveling.

Although both our slides are HWH systems maybe Newell changed their procedure in between our coach productions.

afrench45
10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Steve, I have been told the same steps as you. Newell Told me since they build the coach is travel mode, that's the way they extend and retract them. If it is level, there may be twist on the frame that may cause problems.

smagown
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Steve/Andrew:
I use travel mode, not level. My bad, no more posting from the bathtub!

1993Newell
10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Steve/Andrew:
I use travel mode, not level. My bad, no more posting from the bathtub!

:laugh: Posting from the bathtub?! You better be careful there Steve! ;)