PDA

View Full Version : Do you loan your RV to Family Members?

GringoPhil
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
My brother-in-law emailed me saying he, his wife and two teenage girls want to plan a camping trip next summer and was wondering if they could borrow our motor home for a week in July. They want to go about 1000 miles away - 2000 miles on our Newell round trip. We take very good care of all our vehicles as well as our house. They are opposite - drive old cars and their house is a mess. He is also prone to car accidents - had 3 in 5 years.

I have not mentioned this to my wife yet. I am leaning towards saying no. Just wondering if others loan out their Newell's to family members?

Phil

MrE
11-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Hopefully saying no won't cause friction between you and your wife. BTW, there are some family members I would loan my Newell to and others that I would not because of exactly the same reasons you stated.

Randy J
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't want to. But can't anyway because this is our home. Unless we want to be homeless. lol!

CAPTWatson
11-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't know if I would because a coach is one of those larger more expensive items compared to a say a camera. And the saying "if you break it you replace it" would be a little on the harder side to enforce.

NewellCrazy
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Nope, I wouldn't do it.

bigcatwally
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I have in the past and I will continue to do so but only to my sons who help me work on the coach to begin with.

express1
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
"Let'em Have It!"

speedingsport
11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Never have because they all have their own coaches. :thumbsup:

prairieschooner
11-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Simply....I don't share my toys!!!

The Newell
11-02-2012, 03:29 AM
That's a huge investment to let someone (anyone) use. Especially with the background you describe. Personally I would come up with any excuse to NOT loan them your rig. One option (probably even the truth)is that your insurance company will not cover them (neither will their auto only coverage) and getting a separate policy that would cover just this trip would be very expensive. They would be better off renting a rig for their use.

Good Luck

WessH345
11-02-2012, 03:46 AM
I had made this mistake one time to end up with a ruined 8v92 that cost me over $25,000 to have rebuilt. My foolish nephew was high off his rocker and filled the diesel tank with gasoline and you guessed it.

MrE
11-02-2012, 07:15 AM
I had made this mistake one time to end up with a ruined 8v92 that cost me over $25,000 to have rebuilt. My foolish nephew was high off his rocker and filled the diesel tank with gasoline and you guessed it.

At least he filled the tank. lol!

Barthman
11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Back when I owned a TC I had loaned it out to a friend and once to a family member to haul on their own pu's. A motorhome to me is off limits. I would have to say if you're willing to do it, you better have the person borrowing it completely understand all the systems first. If you have a very fat wallet and just really don't care either way, then go for it. It is like a lot of things and that is if it has been rented, I surely do not want it.

NEWELLWIZARD
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Never have we loaned out the coach. I have let family drive it when we are there but nothing more. I don't feel comfortable with letting someone take our coach out for a vacation.

Retired63
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Would depend on who asks. If it was my brother, I would in a heartbeat, but I know he would take very good care of it, and is experienced in driving one. Plus his wife is a neat freak, and would come back cleaner then when it was new. My in-laws on the other hand would be a no. They have never driven one, and are a bit irresponsible. This did come up, with them asking and the wife and I decided not to loan it out.

Newell Attack
11-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Not a chance. No way. Never. Uh uh. Nope. Negatory. Are you kidding? I don't think so. Not in this lifetime.

There, I think I covered most of the bases. I would never loan out our rv to anyone.........ever. If someone wants to try rv'ing there are plenty of places to rent one. Personally, I can't imagine the gall it would take to ask a relative to borrow something like that. Kind of asking for a free ride and using leverage on your family relationship. Do they have any clue as to how expensive rv's are or how much you have to learn to tow them and use them correctly? Do they have any idea how much your rv means to you? The fact that you stated your in laws seem to be accident prone would have stopped it right there. Imagine the damage they could cause. Also, if they don't take care of their own property why do you think they would take care of yours?

Like the individual stated above, tell them insurance will not cover them and add that you do not let anyone else use the unit. Anyone...........period. That will stop any further inquiries.

By the way, did I mention NO WAY??????????????