PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Programs to a New Computer???

Newell Attack
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
My old HP Laptop is about to be retired in favor of a new Dell laptop.

I have several programs that I would like to transfer and probably several that can go by the wayside.

Is there a utility that will allow me to pick and choose which programs to transfer without a complete transfer of everything?

And even more basic.....what is a good transfer program if I decide to send it all?

Thanks for any ideas,

Jeff

NewellCrazy
11-02-2012, 09:05 PM
The problem with transferring programs is that parts to them are stored in several different places in the old computer. For example, the part of the program that actually starts, called the executable, is stored in one set of directories in Windows while the data link library (DLL) on which it depends is stored elsewhere. To make matters worse, the program has to be "registered" in Windows and the registry file entries are extremely difficult to manipulate for anyone who doesn't do it frequently.

The best and safest thing to do is to re-install those programs that you want to keep when you get your new Dell. If some of those programs where pre-installed before purchase on your old machine, you may end up buying them again. I always try to make sure that I have the original "source" for all the programs that I use and want to keep in a safe, secure place along with any software keys needed to access them. Loosing them can be very expensive.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
If I purchase a program on a disk, I save the disk and code. If I download a program, I save the downloaded program in an external hard drive along with the code. I think Sean's advise is best - install all of the programs on the new computer.

MrE
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
:dito: Microsoft provides "Windows Easy Transfer", but it made a mess out of the one computer that I tried it on and I wouldn't suggest relying on it. If you're like me, you'll format the hard drive on your new computer and load it fresh. That is the only safe way to get rid of all the bloatware that Dell preloaded on you new laptop. You will have to make sure that Dell provided the media to reload your laptop, or you may have to use their programs to create those disks prior to formatting.

speedingsport
11-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Maybe this will help How to Transfer Data From Old to New Computers | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_2143161_transfer-data-old-new-computer.html)