PDA

View Full Version : Has any Newell owners changed out basement air to roof airs?

Chipper
11-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I have been struggling with some things while out shopping for a replacement coach. I have looked at some nice bus conversions, Wanderlodges, Foretravels, Rexhall Industries and a couple of classic Newell's. I like the classic style coaches and have also considered what I understand to be the next series of Newell, the 2000 series. I absolutely do not want basement air, I like lots of basement storage. All the Newell's that I have looked at just don't cut it in the storage department. Budget is not my major concern, it's more of feasability, comfort, and preference. My wife says no to the newer style Newell with the bug look. I told her, you mean it kind of reminds you of a grasshopper. It doens't do much for me either; in my humble opinion, the company has gone backwards in the looks department. Forgive me if I have offended anyone.

Now here's my questions -

Did Newell ever offer roof airs on the 2000 series?

Has anyone around here ever converted a basement air to roof airs?

GORDON HUMMEL
11-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Chip,
There are quite a few post on this forum on this subject. The factory has done some, some individuals have added some. I personally added 2 ducted units & retained the 3 original split airs. On the older units like mine, parts are hard to come by, & you always seam to need them at the wrong time! I believe the roof units became an OEM item shortly after slideout were available because off air distribution problems the slideouts had.

Stylin Monster
11-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Gordon Hummel hit the nail on the head. I can't hardly blame you on the style choice. The bug thing comes mostly from the Setra Bus mirrors.

Neweller
11-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Chipper,

Are you giving up on the classic look now? I believe you had test drove a couple of late 80's models correct? What happened on those? The basement could be a problem unless you can utilize the massive inside storage Newell usually offers. I'm not a huge basement HVAC guy either mainly for the same reason. But many owners have gotten repairs done to their coaches without too much of an issue thanks to the help of this forum. Gordon Hummel has done to his coach exactly what I would do on a like year of Newell. You will probably have to get into the early 2000's with slides to find one without basement air or go back to the late eighties. But, if you would enjoy the space, go with slides and depending on how much time you have and how lucky you are, you might find a '97-99 model year that has been switched over like Gordon's.

Let us know anything else we can help you with.

Chipper
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
It was suggested by another member to go after a 2003-2006 since they usually have 3-4 roof air conditioners. On a Newell what would constitute whether or not a coach had 3 versus 4 air units?