PDA

View Full Version : Headlight restoration kits?

Cheri Smith
11-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Our headlights are old and weathered they are in need of restoration or replacement. We recently talked about trying one of those headlight restoration kits on our headlights. Before we waste any money I thought it might be a good idea to ask if anyone has used a kit and how much if at all did it help?

Thanks!
Cheri

larryweikart
11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I tried 2 different Kits and neither on had any noticeable effect on my headlights.

fulltiming
11-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I bought a kit from Wal-Mart that includes sandpaper and chemicals. Used it on the PT Cruiser and it REALLY made a difference. Only problem is towing it behind the Newell, it now needs to be done again some 2-1/2 years later. I just bought another kit.

MrE
11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Unless you have upgraded your headlights to projectors with a plastic lens, I would bet that you have glass sealed beams that would be available at any auto parts store and inexpensive to replace.

Sorry, as Mike points out below I wasn't thinking about the toad. There are mobile headlight restoration companies springing up around here, and I've seen where some of the rock chip repair places are now offering headlight restoration too.

NEWELLWIZARD
11-10-2012, 02:27 PM
For your toad this is a prefect idea. For the coach you may be better off just upgrading or like MrE said replace the glass sealed beams.

jWolfe
11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Take Headlights from Yellow and Grimy to Clear and Shiny! | Shurhold (http://shurhold.com/article/auto/exterior-detailing/take-headlights-from-yellow-and-grimy-to-clear-and-shiny/)

Check that link out it might help you. They share a pretty indepth process with a product list of what you'd need to do it yourself, directions and photos.

speedingsport
11-11-2012, 03:01 AM
For a few bucks you can try one out. Be warned there are several brands and applications out there. I would read some reviews before making a purchase.

bigcatwally
11-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I have used a few kits in my day. Some work better than others but for the most part they do what they are supposed to do. Just follow the instructions because some kits have different product to be used. ;) Good luck!