PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Street and Trips with GPS Locator Input Needed

Newell Boss
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I am getting ready to head south during the winter months. We are thinking of buying a notebook computer and also buying Microsoft Street and Trips with GPS Locator. What are the pros and cons. We appreciate any input.

Thank You.

NewellCrazy
11-11-2012, 02:43 AM
works very well. of course a lot bulkier since you're using it on a laptop. not as compact as other gps units designed for vehicles. but i didn't like the small screens these units have. i use "streets and trips" on my laptop which has a 17 inch screen. gps function works very well. two thumbs up!!

fulltiming
11-11-2012, 03:58 AM
I also use Streets and Trips. I upgraded to the 2013 edition during my trip to South Dakota, Colorado and New Mexico. I will be upgrading my Street Atlas to 2013 shortly also. If you plan ahead, I find it a good idea to map out your destination for the next day on multiple gps units and see if they come up with different routes. There are several mapping companies that provide the base maps to the various vendors, then the vendors add their own algorithms to determine the optimal route. I check those against the Motor Carriers Atlas to make sure it isn't taking me down a road I shouldn't be on. If I want to take a more scenic route, I fly it with Google Earth looking for switch-backs and underpasses that might be a problem.

Ron Skeen
11-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I use Street & Trips on my laptop along with my VMS. I use a split screen with the VMS on half and S & T with a GPS on the other half. I also use a small Garmin stuck on the driver window with the route also. I have the flat dash so the 15" laptop set there.