PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to put engine additives with every fill up

DavidBall
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Two friends of mine who have dealt with diesel engines all their life say that I better put additives in my fuel every time I fill up with diesel otherwise the injectors will dry up, and that is an expensive repair. Is there any truth to this or are they steering me down the wrong path.

Thank You,

David Ball

Newell Attack
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
In normal use, you don't need any additives for diesel fuel.

NewellCrazy
11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
:dito: There should be no need to put additives in your diesel fuel. I recommend ignoring advice EXCEPT that of the engine manufacturer which in your case is Detroit Diesel.

Maybe others will share their opinions and if I'm wrong I stand corrected and will have to edit my post

Sean

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I put in FuelPrep to combat alge if parked for a month or more.

77newell
11-14-2012, 01:31 AM
David: I have no clue what these guys are talking about. Having seen a parts breakdown of the mechanical DD injectors I can see no way they can possibly dry out, they are by design always filled with fuel.

As mentioned above, algae killer is not a bad thing, nor is anti-gel if you buy summer fuel and plan a winter trip. I will admit that once when I was moving house and needed to get rid of a couple bottles of STP oil treatment which I dumped in my fuel tank and it did seem to make the engine a bit smoother but it was probably just my imagination and I never repeated it.

prairieschooner
11-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Simply stated....maybe. Here is a link to a previous discussion;
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/major-mechanicals/1357-ulsd-additives-older-engines.html

PS this is for 2 Stoke Diesels! 92 Series pay attention.