PDA

View Full Version : General Generator Service Intervals

Twins
11-14-2012, 08:20 PM
At what intervals should a generator be serviced? (i.e. at how many hours do you need to have XXXX done).

77newell
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey Twins, good to see someone else here with a "contemporary (to 1977) coach".

I need to go to the coach to pull the manual for the engine but it seems that it (Perkins) calls for engine oil and filter every 50 hours. Since I run about that or less in a year I've been changing oil, oil filter and fuel filter once a year just because. I'll verify that in the next few days, perhaps delayed a bit by cataract surgery tomorrow.

The Newell
11-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I agree with Jon 50 hours for the engine oil even though I have been told that you can go 150 hours between services.

77newell
11-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, the Perkins manual I have states a 100 hour interval, I agree with the statement above that 50 hours is good. So, I would be comfortable changing no less than once per year and then using an interval of 50-150 depending on length of individual runs, mine are short so lower hours makes sense, if I needed to run 6 straight days I would do that and then change. Given the varied usage conditions there is no "sure thing" answer, you need to make choices you can live with.