PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Black & White to Color Back Up Monitor

Newell Attack
11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello all,

I would like to convert my current Black and White back up monitor to color, but I'm not wild about trying to route a new cable to the rear of the coach.

Does anyone know if it is simply possible to disconnect the B/W Monitor and Camera and install the new color monitor and camera to the existing cable?

I have searched in vain for users manuals for the Audiovox "Voyager" camera and monitor (which is what I have now).

Thanks for any information on whether or not this is feasible, or any ideas on how to find a manual.

Jeff

Gary&Terry
11-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Generally I'd say yes, the wires should just switch over.

One thing you might wish to consider is that the b&w camera has better variable light performance, Color cameras are more fussy about light levels.

Gary

NEWELLWIZARD
11-19-2012, 11:32 PM
I personally like the color back up cameras.

The Newell
11-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Probably, assuming the two devices use the same sort of cable and connectors. The color transmission may be somewhat more susceptible to interference than the b&W, but is not inherently different and can be carried on the same type of cable. Typically the cable used is an inexpensive wire with RCA plugs on either end. Not the greatest for video, but usable. We aren't talking HDTV here! You can inspect the ends of the cable you now have and once you know what wiring you have, attempt to buy something with a matching connector.

MrE
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I changed mine out, and running the cable from the front to rear only took a couple of hours. The biggest time expense I had was retrofitting the new camera into the old container. Bought mine from Costco.com, $200. 1 Backup Camera System with 7" LCD Screen by Rear View Safety (http://www.costco.com/.product.11526596.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInC ategory)