PDA

View Full Version : Clock not keeping time

Dom Ferris
11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
This last weekend I was out camping dry dock. During the day, and running the gen I didn't notice anything amiss, but when on the inverter while sleeping, when I got up in the morning, the clock on my microwave gained about an hour. Did it both Friday an Saturday night. My battery indicator showed I was still had about 1/2 to 3/4 of my battery life left and showed a steady 12 volts. My indicator showed I was pulling 5-10 amps. I have a Xantrex 458 inverter and Freedom control unit.

Any suggestions on this one?

fulltiming
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Not that unusual for the clock to be somewhat inaccurate but gaining an hour overnight is more extreme than most that I have seen. The clock circuits assume you are going to be on power company regulated 60 Hz electricity. Inverters, especially the non-sine wave inverters do not provide as stable a frequency so the clock drifts. I changed my inverter out with a pure-sine wave model and my clocks remain pretty close. If you run on generator long enough you may notice a slight difference. My generator is off by about 0.3 Hz.

The Newell
11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Fulltiming is correct, I believe your issue is with your inverter since its a xantex 458 modified sine wave.

express1
11-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Mayan!:thumbup: