PDA

View Full Version : GFCI outlet Keeps Blowing

Newell Attack
11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Okay this is bugging the heck out of me. My GFCI keeps blowing, but not always. I thought it was just due to increased load so I hit the reset and it blows again. Then reset and it stays fine for a few hours . Then out of nowhere it blows again. I have checked outlets on the rig all have solid correct connections. connections at the box seem fine.
Could it just be a faulty GFCI? This happens on Genset or plugged in to 50AMP

Ideas? Tests to run?

Thanks for your help

prairieschooner
11-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Have you a Polarity Tester? I use one that also checks the GFCI when doing a survey. Amazing how many times I find Reversed Polarity issues.
The GFCI Receptacles do fail, luckily they are relatively inexpensive. I agree with you and would start with a new one. After that it could then be the wiring or another device that is powered in that circuit.

NewellCrazy
11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Has it done this since you've owned your newell? or did it just start happening recently? If it's always done it, it could be faulty wiring If it just recently started doing it,

it's probably a bad GFCI module. Definitely get it fixed and it should be an easy one at that if its just a bad GFCI.

Retired63
11-22-2012, 11:36 PM
My son is a master electrician. He tells me that if a GFCI has tripped 12 times total, it MUST be replaced

something to think about,

Retired63

prairieschooner
11-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Start by thinking that our coaches did not come with GFCI Receptacles. I would start by checking the Polarity on ALL Receptacles in the Line. If all is well then Replace the GFCI and use an Amp Meter to make sure all is well. Retired is correct, they do not last forever and they are so inexpensive that it isn't worth worrying about.
Be Careful, Electricity does Not Forgive!