PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Continuous Pumping

Jonesy
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Just bought the motor home(Newell). Used it for 2.5 days and I am fairly sure during the time the pump only came on when it needed to.

I Dumped the black tank and now when I turn the pump on it continues to "pump". Black tank drained a good amount out but still shows as 2/3 full (this is what it showed before I dumped). All water flows as it has been so it seems nothing is clogged on the fresh water.

Any ideas on if the two are connected or is this 2 separate issues? Ideas on why the pump is running?

NewellCrazy
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Make sure that you have water in the fresh water tank. The pump will run forever if the tank is empty.

As for the black tank, it's not unusual for the sensors to give false readings. If it bothers you, check into doing some tank cleaning and maintenance.

lbrachfe
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
auto fill switch and tank switch in same position will cause the pump to run forever

GringoPhil
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Larry is most likely correct, That said I will still give some more possibilities. I would check for leaks or valve first, or the pump can have a points problem. the points can corrode together and tapping on the head of the pump should separate them.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
The pump will run continuously if there is air in the line, and some time the shut off switch in the pump goes bad or is stuck open. Try tapping on it lightly.

Jonesy
11-26-2012, 12:15 AM
thanks for the responses. I will check this stuff out.

prairieschooner
11-26-2012, 12:29 AM
stand by, what type of pump are we talking about?