PDA

View Full Version : Tech Talk Archives 1

Neweller
11-28-2012, 04:30 AM
RecNo DateCreated TimeCreated DateModified Name Email Subject Message QA
58 8/14/2000 12:19:56 PM 11/7/2003 Newell staff engineering@newellcoach.com Proper Tire Inflation SUMMER SEASON TIRE CARE

The simple rule: proper inflation for Michelin 315/80 R 22.5 front tires on a Newell motor coach is 130 p.s.i. cold for 65 m.p.h. speed rating and 140 p.s.i. cold for 75 m.p.h. rating. Running at lower pressure decreases the load carrying capacity and speed rating of the tire and can result in a blowout. This is particularly critical running freeway speed in the heat of summer.

The majority of the weight supported by a tire is actually being carried by the air contained within the tire body rather than the rubber tire carcass. A tireÕs sidewalls are designed to contain air, not to support the weight of the vehicle. However, decreasing air pressure reduces the weight that the air can support, and causes the tire sidewalls to flex as the vehicle is driven. Excessive sidewall stress causes heat buildup, especially running in the heat of the summer.

When heat buildup reaches a critical stage, the rubber actually begins to liquify, the bond between the tire casing and tread will begin to degrade, particularly with higher centrifugal forces at high speed, and the tread can suddenly delaminate from the casing. This typically happens at freeway speeds without warning.

Running at 130 or 140 p.s.i., versus lower inflation pressures, reduces sidewall flex and heat buildup, contributing to reliable, safe tire performance.

Neweller
11-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Q
67 8/21/2000 11:24:14 AM 10/11/2006 markallen marka@newellcoach.com Do not Erase THis Do not erase or approve this message

Neweller
11-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Q
68 9/12/2000 1:43:59 PM 9/12/2000 art knapp agkcpa@hotmail.com Battery Relocation I am planning to install a Trace PS2512 sinewave inverter in my 1983 Newell (to replace the Rockwell "Power Generator"). The electrical wiring is already in place in the drivers side compartment just aft of the wheelwell. Trace says the maximum distance from the inverter to the batteries should be 5'. The house battereies are about 30' away (passenger side, front). The coach batteries (2 - 8D's) are also over 5' away (one battery on each side just in front of the wheel well).

In order to get the batteries closer to the inverter, I was planning on placing them in the engine compartment on the driver's side. Do you have any recommendations regarding the battery placement or the type of battery box? Or, any other part of this project?

Thanks,
Art Knapp

Neweller
11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Q
69 9/12/2000 2:32:36 PM 9/12/2000 Newell engineering service@newellcoach.com Battery Relocation We agree that placing the inverter as close as possible to the batteries is desirable. This is because minimizing cable length minimizes voltage drop from the batteries to the inverter, or from the charger to the batteries. If the inverter is also the battery charger, we also recommend that the inverter be wired to the batteries, and that the other 12 volt loads be on the far side of the batteries from the inverter/charger. That way, the batteries act as a filter for the somewhat "dirty" current that can be produced by a battery charger.

The exact placement of the batteries and the inverter is going to vary from coach to coach depending upon the space available, existing cabling, amount of work you want to put into it, etc. The battery box or rack should allow ample ventilation to the atmosphere, and the batteries should not be located where gassing that occurs during charging will corrode electronics or sensitive electrical connections. For example, the batteries and inverter should not be located in the same compartment.

We currently prefer the Statpower ProSine inverter over the Trace sine wave products. The ProSine uses different technology that substantially reduces the weight of the inverter compared to the Trace. In addition, the set-up and operation of the ProSine is simpler than the Trace, minimizing problems that might result from "operator error." Our preference is only that, and we have built a number of coaches at customer request with Trace sine wave inverters. Our customers with Trace inverters are happy. For the record, after a series of buyouts, the three major inverter manufacturers, Statpower, Trace, and Heart Interface, are now all owned by the same parent company.

Good luck with your project.

Neweller
11-28-2012, 04:39 AM
A
70 9/13/2000 10:32:51 AM 9/14/2000 ken thwaits ken@pdiusa.net Proper Tire Inflation Our coach is 1995 model with the taller front tires. What is the proper inflation for all the tires on this coach?

Erika
11-28-2012, 04:57 AM
A
71 9/13/2000 1:32:27 PM 9/14/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Proper Tire Inflation Your 1995 Newell was equipped new with 11R24.5 Load Range H tires all around. Make sure that the tires currently on the coach are Load Range H, as Load Range G tires do not have the load capacity required. In the front, these tires should normally be run at 120 psi. For an extra measure safety if you are running at interstate speeds in hot weather, tire engineers have advised that you should increase the inflation to 130 psi. The drive axle tires should be inflated at 105 psi minimum, and tag axle tires 90 psi minimum. These inflation specs are for cold tires. The inflation pressures will read higher warm or hot tires. Air should never be bled out of a warm tire to reduce the pressure to the cold specification.

Erika
11-28-2012, 04:58 AM
A
72 9/13/2000 3:02:34 PM 9/14/2000 charlie kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Proper Tire Inflation My coach is a 1996 with Bridgestone tires. When I picked the coach up two weeks ago I was told that the correct inflation was 105 to 110 for the rears and 110 to 115 for the front tires.

Is the difference between what I was told and the 130 psi to 140 psi mentioned above a function of the Bridgestones vs. Michelin?

Is there a difference in the basic size of the tire that would also make a difference?

Erika
11-28-2012, 04:59 AM
A
73 9/14/2000 3:05:49 PM 9/14/2000 newell engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Proper Tire Inflation Charlie, the inflation recommendation for the front tires depends on the size. The first message in this thread covers 315/80 R 22.5, with Michelin Load Range L being the only recommended brand and ply rating. The third message in the thread is our inflation recommendation for 11R24.5 Load Range H of any brand. We will remind the service staff of our inflation recommendations.

Erika
11-28-2012, 05:05 AM
A
75 9/25/2000 12:55:22 PM 9/25/2000 newell engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Proper Tire Inflation Wayne: Your 1994 Newell requires the load range H version of the 11R24.5 tire. Load range G does not have adequate weight capacity for the steering axle, although it can be used on the drive and tag axles. The proper cold inflation for load range H is 120 psi, increased to 130 psi for operation in high ambiant heat conditions. We will be in touch "off the board" to work out arrangements to change your coach to load range H tires on the steer axle.

Erika
11-28-2012, 05:06 AM
A
76 9/28/2000 4:29:14 PM 9/29/2000 Dan Niebojeski bojes@aol.com basement airs Do my basement air-conditioners have filters that need cleaning or replacing? If so, were are they?

Erika
11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
78 10/5/2000 1:29:08 PM 10/5/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com basement airs You have cleanable filters for the central air conditioners. They are in the return air duct located between your steps inside the entry door.

Our recommended service schedule includes cleaning the a/c filters "as required." Different conditions, such as whether you have pets that shed, often leave the door open while the a/c's are operating, or how often you use the air conditioning, make it impossible to establish a set interval for cleaning. You can normally clean the filters with hot water and soap. If they are exceptionally soiled and do not clean well, replace them with new. The filter material is available from hardware stores in larger sheets which must be cut to fit.

Erika
11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
A
79 10/5/2000 5:14:39 PM 10/6/2000 Art Knapp agkcpa@hotmail.com Alarming Sound We have a 1983 Newell (Bettin). While driving up an extremely steep detour in Alaska (and pulling our Dodge Caravan) a loud alarm (buzzer) started. I checked all the gauges (oil, water, air, and transmission) and we were ok. There was no place to pull over. The alarm sounded for about 1-2 minutes then stopped. My son trued to locate exactly where the alarm was, but could only narrow it to the dash area near the passenger side. The alarm stopped by itself and the coach went happily on its way. This has never happened before or since. Can you tell me what the alarm is for, what conditions set it off, and what to do when it does start? We do not have a manual for the 1983 Newell. We have a 1987 manual, but I can not find mention of this alarm. By the way, if there is anyway that I could get a copy of a 1983 Newell Manual, let me know.
Thanks for Your help.
Art Knapp

Erika
11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Q
80 10/5/2000 5:26:55 PM 10/6/2000 Art Knapp agkcpa@hotmail.com Sanitron Our 1983 Newell (Bettin) has a Sanitron electric odor control system. There are 12 volt wires connected to electrodes on the holding tank. The wires terminate in a small aluminum box in the holding tank compartment. The electrodes have become severely corroded. Some of the wires are broken and have been spliced or taped. The manual (1987) says there is a Sanitron control panel in the tankage compartment and that this panel has an on/off switch and a test switch. There is no such panel in my compartment. Can you give me some advice on restoring the Sanitron system and how to locate a Sanitron control panel?
Thanks for your help.
Art Knapp

Neweller
12-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Q
81 10/6/2000 2:49:53 PM 10/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Sanitron In a word, we don't think parts are still available, but there is an easy, practical work around.

For many years, strong holding tank odors in the form of sewer gases vented into the interior of RVs when toilets were flushed. Therefore, most RV users added chemicals to holding tanks to suppress the formation of sewer gas.

From the early 1980s through the mid-1990s, Newell installed electronic odor control systems on the waste water holding tanks. With these systems, low voltage electrical current passes from electrodes on one side of the interior of the holding tank to electrodes on the other side. The production of sewer gas was substantially reduced and the need to use chemicals was eliminated.

In recent years, RV toilets featuring water barriers in the bottom of the bowls came into use. Because of these water barriers, sewer gas in the holding tank cannot vent to the interior as before. The use of odor control, either through chemicals or electronic odor control, has been eliminated.

Sanitron was the brand name of an odor control system Newell used in the early 1980s. Our recollection is that Sanitron did not have a control panel, although such a panel was furnished with later brand of odor control. While we are still checking our records for a telephone number or address, we do not believe that the company is still in business or that parts can still be sourced for Sanitron systems.

Our recommendation is to confirm that the system is not receiving power or is disconnected, and to use a good quality liquid chemical odor control product in the tank. We suggest Aqua Kem, a brand we have used most successfully through the years.

Neweller
A
82 10/6/2000 3:11:02 PM 10/6/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Alarming Sound The only audible alarm used in Newells of this vintage was a high coolant temperature warning. Most of these alarms included an engine shut down feature if the temperature continued to escalate. If your instrument panel gauge appears to be working correctly and did not show a coolant temperature in excess of around 215 degrees F., the alarm is probably going off a bit prematurely.

We suggest that you confirm the accuracy of your dash gauge against a manual gauge that a mechanic can install at the engine. Further, from the circumstances you described, it sounds like the alarm indeed may have been warning of temperatures approaching the problem point. So you should exercise caution when the alarm sounds, as your engine may be getting close to overheating and damage, or the engine shut down may activate, with immediate loss of all engine power.

To cool properly, Newells of this vintage require regular, thorough radiator cleaning with a high pressure washer and engine degreaser.The condition of the radiator can be checked easily by using a mechanic's "trouble light" to shine through the core while looking through from the opposite side. The radiators eventually experience damage from small stones and debris in the air blast, and require recoring or replacement. We suggest that radiator maintenance, repair, and replacement as required is more economical than repairs that can be required after an overheat.

Neweller
A

83 10/7/2000 2:40:25 PM 10/7/2000 Jim Weckman jweckman@hutchtel.net Battery Relocation You may have already gone this route, but I would suggest placing the battery box below the engine compartment floor as is done in the later built units. I used 1 X 1 SST angle to do a battery box for another coach, and it worked out well. The frame can be linned with SST, or poly, and the top with clear plexi or lexan. If you make the box water tight be sure and install drain holes and venting.

Neweller
A
86 10/9/2000 1:17:54 PM 10/9/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Alarming Sound After further discussion, we believe that the most likely cause of your buzzer alarm was the TV antenna alarm giving a false warning rather than a high temp alarm. To verify this theory, you can raise the TV antenna and turn on the ignition key. If you hear the same sound, you have your mystery solved.

Neweller
A
87 10/10/2000 12:19:15 PM 10/10/2000 Glinda Peek Glinda.peek@concert.com 1979 Newell fire..restore I need to find replacement windows for my 1979 Newell.
I also need an owner's manual. Any help!
Thanks

Neweller
12-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Q
88 10/10/2000 2:14:23 PM 10/10/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com 1979 Newell fire..restore Good news: Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, Washington can make custom windows for older Newells. You have the choice of standard or double pane insulated glass. You can reach Penisula Glass at 1-800-468-4323. Bad news: The was no owner's manual for a 1979 Newell. We still have the original build file on most coaches. If you'd like us to check the archives for your coach and mail you copies of what we have, e-mail your name, address, and coach serial number to Marcia Green at MarciaG@newellcoach.com . Good luck with your restoration.

Neweller
a
89 10/11/2000 2:29:16 pm 10/11/2000 robert e. Crowl rcrowl@acdcom.com brakes what type of brakes are on the newell coaches, say from 1992 to present, i.e., air?, disc?, drum? On which axles?
Thanks

Neweller
Q
90 10/11/2000 3:14:03 PM 10/11/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com BRAKES The brakes at all wheel positions have been full air type since the mid-1970s. In 1992, drum brakes were used at all positions. However, shortly thereafter, the steer axle brakes became disc. In 1998 or 1999, the tag axle was changed to disc. In early 2000, the drive axle changed from drum to disc. Therefore, new coaches now have disc brakes in all positions. The coaches have also been equiped with 4-channel ABS anti-skid control for the last five years or so.

Neweller
A
92 10/14/2000 3:35:43 PM 10/14/2000 Ralph Streeter indyralph@aol.com 1979 Newell fire..restore I have a '70 Newell. The weather stripping and glasss chaneling (I"m not sure what the proper name is) are completely shot. Checking with Penisula their estimate was over five thousand to replace the windows which I felt was too much for such an old coach. Yours is nine years newer so may be worthwhile but I have decided to take the windows out. reweatherstrip them as the glass is slightly fogged around the edges but by adding a tint it will be ok. good luck

Neweller
A
93 10/16/2000 1:32:09 PM 10/16/2000 DICK MILLER RWMILL62@AOL.COM Proper Tire Inflation ALL LOAD RANGES ARE PRINTED ON THE SIDEWALL OF YOUR TIRE; I THINK NEWELL WOULD SUGGEST YOU USE THE TOP RANGE FOR SUMMER USAGE. DIFFERENT TIRE MANUFACTURERS USE DIFFERENT PRESSURES BUT MOST WILL BE WITHIN 10 LBS OF ONEANOTHER. ONE THING TO ALWAYS REMEMBER IS THAT A TIRE RUNNING ON A SEMI WILL NORALLY BE READY FOR RETREADING WITHIN A YEAR AND A HALF AND THE RECAPPED TIRE CORE WILL BE OFF THE ROAD IN THREE YEARS MAX. I SAY THIS BECAUSE YOU MAY THINK YOUR TIRE LOOKS GOOD AT 4 YEARS SINCE YOU HAVE LOTS OF TREAD. DO NOT LET THIS FOOL YOU. I AM SURE YOU WILL NOT RUN THE MILES THAT A SEMI TRUCK DRIVER WILL, IE. 100,000 MILES ANUALLY. A TIRE CORE MUST BE REPLACED ON OR BEFORE IT'S FIFTH BIRTHDAY NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF TREAD IS LEFT. LOOK FOR DOT DATE ON SIDE OF TIRE. MANY TRUCKERS WILL TELL YOU FOUR YEARS MAX. I HAD TWO BLOW OUTS THIS SUMMER BECAUSE A TIRE DEALER TOLD ME THE TIRES LOOKED FINE. THE TIRES WERE ON THEIR 5TH YEAR AND BLEW LIKE A BOMB. CLOSER INSPECTION REVEALED TIRE CHECKING.

I ALSO DETECTED A FRONT END SHAKE THIS YEAR AND WONDERED ABOUT AN ALLIGNMENT PROBLEM. I DROVE INTO A FRONT END SHOP THAT HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE. AFTER CALLING JIM IN SERVICE, HE ENLIGHTENED THE FRONT END SHOP THAT THEY NEEDED TO FORGET AN ALLIGNMENT UNLESS THEY WANTED TO HEAT AND BEND THE AXLE. THE ONLY ADJUSTMENT AVAILABLE IS THE TOW-IN. JIM THEN ADVISED ME TO TAKE THE COACH TO A TIRE SHOP AND REPLACE THE FRONT TIRES TO SEE IF THERE MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN A BROKEN SIDEWALL, THEN CALL HIM BACK IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT CORRECTED. I DID SO; NEW TIRES CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.

MORAL TO STORY; REPLACE YOUR TIRES BEFORE THE BOMB HITS!

Neweller
A
95 10/16/2000 2:39:29 PM 10/17/2000 Greg Allworth PHlhansen@sierra.net Brakes I have A 1969 newell coach, what type of brakes are on this years model? Is there a master cylinder? where do you put the brake fluid!! Help!!

Neweller
12-01-2012, 04:29 AM
96 10/16/2000 5:03:30 PM 10/17/2000 Brian Hunter airgoat@mindspring.com Generator door problem I am having a problem getting my generator door to function. I replaced the air operator valve and it did not solve the problem. I checked air pressure and it's good,120 psi. I called the factory and they told me it could be the telescoping exhaust, hangs up sometimes from lack of use. If it was an air leak in the rams you could probably hear leaking air and there is none so I do not think that is the problem. Any other information would be appreaciated. Brian Hunter Thanks

Neweller
Q
97 10/17/2000 10:01:30 AM 10/18/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org battery merge Our 1983 has the standard coach/starting battery switch, meter, and a three way switch (center off, up merge, down merge). When I move the merge switch from the up to the up or down position (in either coach or starting mode) I get a different meter reading. Any ideas out there why this happens? Is it the merge switch or solenoid or, ?

Neweller
Q
98 10/17/2000 3:51:40 PM 10/18/2000 Jody Larriviere Jody@louisianafoods.com Sanitron We experienced similar problems with our 1983 coach.
Our problem was complicated by the fact that the coroded
Sanitron electrodes(which are no longer available from Sanitron)
were leaking from the holding tank. We used 2 1/4inch boat
transom plugs with the brass folding tabs that fold over 90
degrees. We abandonded the Sanitron system, pluged the electrode
holes, and everything is working just fine. This eleminiated
having to remove the holding tank & custom manufacture a
replacement.

Neweller
A
99 10/18/2000 11:58:07 AM 10/18/2000 Gary Reddick greddick@orcasonline.com Chrome Illusion Paint The Chrome Illusion Paint Graphics on the front panel of my coach (#547) is in need of refinishing. Does this paint require a special application process or can any good paint shop do the work? Can you furnish the name of the paint supplier and the color codes to allow me to purcase the paint. I know the paint is not cheap! Any direction you can give regarding the application process will be appreciated.

Neweller
12-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Q
100 10/18/2000 12:05:19 PM 10/18/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com battery merge Unless the batteries are merged, you will get different readings on the engine and house batteries. They are independent, see different loads and have different charge sources. If the merge solenoid is working, the voltages should equalize a short period after merging. If the voltage doesn't equalize, it is a good indication that the merge solenoid has failed. Because these solenoids are mechanical, have a finite life, and are not expensive, we recommend they be changed annually rather than waiting for a failure that might be inconvenient. Later model coaches also have an Echo Charger, a small Heart Interface device wired between the engine and coach batteries, that trickle charges the engine batteries from the house batteries anytime it sees more than a small voltage differential between the two. This is a passive device. It relieves the need to merge the batteries to keep the engine battery charged while the coach is in storage. They can be easily retrofitted and are nominal in cost. You can buy them from Newell parts.

Neweller
A
103 10/18/2000 7:03:51 PM 10/19/2000 otto Burleson otto@spinn.net Generator door problem Hi Brian -- Please check the air pressure on the "supply Side" You may have 120 on Brake side and o on supply side-
This is the gauge on the right side on the panel. Also, with 0 air pressure on the supply side, you can operate the slide door manually. Try bringing up the air pressure on the supply side--- you do not need 120 to make this work.
cordially otto burleson albuquerque nm

Neweller
A
104 10/18/2000 9:58:27 PM 10/19/2000 Dan Solberg ddandman@aol.com What is a 1982 40' coach worth? I am considering purchasing a 1982 40" Newell Coach.
Some specs: 903 Cummins, Turbocharger, Jacobs Brake, 206 gal main fuel, 56 gal Aux fuel, 3 roof air cond., Gas/Elec. refrig, 100 lb. pullout freezer, Zip Dee awnings, Interior redone by Newell 7 years ago, Rear camera, Microwave, Toaster, Ice maker, safe, etc. Good Michelin tires. 90,000 miles. Good condition. Needs some interior updating. Can anyone tell me what it may be worth? Also, are there any characteristics about this model I would like or dislike? Do they start in the winter? How long will they last? Will I have a problem with corrosion of the body? How cold can it be before the water lines freeze with basement heat? Can I get parts? Can I get updates from Newell for the interior? If anyone owns this model or knows about it, I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you!!!

Neweller
Q
105 10/20/2000 7:03:32 AM 10/20/2000 Dave Jordan djordan@lk-oilfield.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach I would like to know if air bags can be installed on a 1976 model to improve the ride. Would it be a expensive major undertaking, or would it not be worth it on a coach this old? The coach was recently had the interior redone, the diesel rebuilt and a new Isuzu generator installed. I am trying to decide if I would be better off to purchase this coach or look for a newer model.

Neweller
Q
106 10/20/2000 8:49:25 AM 10/20/2000 Newell Coach sales@newellcoach.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach You should understand some of the challenges. 1) The suspension under a 1976 is totally different than the air bag equipped coaches. Therefore, you would have to modify to chassis to accept a new suspension. This would require largely unpredictable, but certainly significant amount of labor by a skilled fabricator. 2) A complete air bag suspension would be costly, certainly in excess of $10,000 front and rear. 3) Some of the parts have been out of production for several years, so availability may be an issue. 4) When you were successfully finished, from a resale standpoint, you'd still have a 1976. A nice 1976, but a 1976 nevertheless. That having been said, some people do these kind of projects for the fun of it. But it would not be inexpensive, and the investment would not increase the value of the coach nearly as much as it would cost.

Neweller
12-01-2012, 04:31 AM
A
107 10/25/2000 7:18:50 PM 10/25/2000 Perry Burney easycarela@aol.com What is a 1982 40' coach worth? I have an 84 40ft. for sale at $97,500. Updated in 96.

Neweller
A
108 10/27/2000 9:27:59 AM 10/27/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Chrome Illusion Paint Chrome Illusion paint is a two-stage (base coat, clear coat) product. It is a unique paint in that it reflects as different colors viewed from different angles. While the paint is not difficult to apply, your Newell requires a rather large paint booth. Also, typical of two-stage paints, the paint does not have the chip resistance of Newell's standard clear coated single-stage Imron, so it is not surprising that the Chrome Illusion needs a little touch up on the front after a year or two. Off-line, we understand you you might cover the refinished areas with the 3M clear protective shield product to improve the chip resistance. A good idea.

Neweller
A
111 10/28/2000 9:23:03 PM 10/29/2000 Charlie Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Satellite Data Connection When I travel, there are two satellite-related options that
would be a great plus:

1. In motion TV reception for the kids, and

2. In motion or stationary internet connection

I know that Hughes Electronics has an offering named
DirecPC or DirecDuo for internet connection.

Are there any competing options?

How do I find out exactly what satellite system was installed
in my coach when it was built?

What would it cost to upgrade to one of the newest in motion
systems?
at the factory?

Neweller
Q
112 10/29/2000 10:21:13 AM 10/29/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Satellite Data Connection 1. So far, we have not seen anyone offer an in-motion system compatible with DirecPc or DirecDuo. This may be because so far, the data stream for these internet connections is only one way by satellite, download, with the upload via a phone line. We expect to see some interesting developments, but it is hard to predict the time frame.

2. The factory installed stationary systems in 1996 were Moto Sat. An in-motion system requires a complete change over of dish and satellite electronics, and would cost approximately $3500 - $4000.

Neweller
A
117 10/30/2000 10:01:23 AM 10/30/2000 Carolynn Von Harten Greg127@ix.netcom.com 1969Newell coach I have a 1969 Newell that is in very good condition.
Ford chassis with a 460 marine engine, interior and exterior condition very good!! Would like to know the value of this year...any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Neweller
Q
118 11/3/2000 7:01:07 AM 11/4/2000 Frank Aragona aragona@123.net Oil grades What oil grades do you recommend for the 8V92's and the Yanmar generators? I live near Detroit and drive down to Florida alot.

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Q
119 11/4/2000 6:59:08 PM 11/5/2000 Charlie Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Satellite Data Connection After purchasing a coach with an already installed small dish type satellite system, who do I contact for a programming subscription?

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:43 AM
A
121 11/5/2000 9:07:19 AM 11/5/2000 Charles Cravens craminc@juno.com Hot Water in Shower There is plenty of hot water, yet in the shower the tempature must be turned to the extreme and the flow turned to max to get hot water. This started two days ago. Any suggestions?

Neweller
Q
123 11/5/2000 10:26:30 AM 11/5/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Oil grades We recommend a premium synthetic oil, Mobil Delvac 1, for all Newell Detroit Diesel engines; and Kohler, Martin, Onan and Power Tech generators. (These comments also apply to Detroit Diesel private label versions of Delvac 1). Delvac 1 is a multi-viscosity product. While Detroit Diesel generally recommends against multi-viscosity oils in Series 92 engines, this is based upon certain characteristics (technically known as "shear") of conventional mineral base oils not applicable to Delvac 1. In over ten years of using and recommending Delvac 1, we have seen superlative performance from this lubricating oil. Cold weather starting is much better than with straight grade mineral base oils, evaporative losses, and therefore oil consumption, is less, and Delvac 1 withstands higher temperatures and therefore will do a superior job of protecting the engine in overheating situations. Delvac 1 is the gold standard.

Neweller
A
124 11/6/2000 11:45:28 AM 11/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Hot Water in Shower Since around 1990, Newell has installed thermostatically controlled shower valves in new coaches. These valves maintain the set temperature even with variations in water pressure that occur with RV water pumps. Over time, the "thermoelement cartridge" that controls the temperature can fail and require replacement. When your coach was delivered new, the manual for the shower valve was included in a large loose leaf notebook of various component literature. If you can locate this manual, identify the specific cartridge with its part number in the illustrated parts breakdown. Our parts department can order the required cartridge with this information. If you cannot locate the manual, we may be able to order the correct part if you advise us of the brand of the shower valve. It will be either a Arwa Luwa or a Grohe. If you cannot identify the brand of the shower valve, another option is to have our service techs try to identify the brand of the valve from visual inspection when the coach is here.

Neweller
A
127 11/7/2000 6:46:47 PM 11/9/2000 agkcpa agkcpa@hotmail.com Hughes Autoformer - 50 amp I am thinking of installing an Autoformer in my 1983 Newell.

They have two 50-amp models, a 50-amp 120-volt model and 50-amp 240-volt model.

I believe the way my coach is wired is two legs of 50-amp at 120-volt. Is this correct?

I would like this to be a permanent installation inside the electrical compartment. In what order should things be wired (line from shore power, Autoformer, inverter, electrical panel, etc.)? Which model should I get if I want to have the transformer work for all of the 120-volt circuits? Or do I need two? Is there a better alternative?

Thanks for your help,
Art Knapp

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Q
130 11/9/2000 5:13:53 AM 11/9/2000 Bud Burton info@mobilsat.com Satellite Data Connection You will need to contact DirecTV to set up an account if your receiver still has a valid access card
in place. If not you can contact a Satellite Retailer to get a card and programming. You can contact
our office via e-mail for more info.

Thanks

Bud Burton
Mobil Satellite Technologies

Neweller
A
132 11/9/2000 5:31:08 AM 11/9/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Hughes Autoformer - 50 amp Yes, your coach has two legs, 50 amps at 120 volts each. We have no experience with the Autoformer device you are considering. We suggest you consult technicians trained and experienced in this product and also carefully review and follow the manufacturer's installation instructions regarding use of this product in your Newell.

Neweller
A
133 11/9/2000 11:47:30 AM 11/9/2000 Tuga Gaidry tuga@cajun.net Satellite receiver overheating... My satellite receiver is located in the cabinet above the passenger seat in my '93 Newell. This cabinet also houses the Sony surround sound, VCR, and Datron satellite control box. The access card is distorted from the heat. I would like any suggestions as to where I could relocate the satellite receiver.

Neweller
Q
134 11/12/2000 5:31:52 AM 11/12/2000 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Satellite Data Connection I have the same need for internet service while travelling in my coach. I just received an email update from Dish Network, which indicated that starting late this month they will be offering satellite internet service without the need for a telephone line. You can visit their site at: www.starband.com . After visiting their site, I read that satellite service is not available at this time. But we should keep checking their site for updates for their service. Also, look into internet service provided through cellular antenna. Look at www.goamerica.com . They offer unlimited internet service for $59.95 per month via cellular antenna. A special pcmcia card with an antenna is required, which can be bought from them. The only fall back is the service is only available while in major cities. If you have any new information please post it or email me please. I hope they figure this stuff out soon.

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:45 AM
A
135 11/12/2000 5:36:43 AM 11/12/2000 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Satellite receiver overheating... I had the same problem. I now leave my cabinet door cracked slightly open to let the heat out. My card has not warped yet....I hope it won't. I also have a second satellite receiver located in the back bedroom that is hooked up to the bedroom TV. I haven't had any overheating problems there. Hope this helps.

Neweller
A
136 11/13/2000 9:20:14 AM 11/13/2000 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Satellite Data Connection After reading further on at starband.com, I have learned that they do not recommend the two-way internet for motorhomes. They say that it requires a special installer to aim the satellite. I don't know what is so diffucult about aiming the satellite though. Their site said that Starband service will be available in November through Dish Network retailers and through Radio Shack. Dish Network will be selling a Starband modem with dish. And Radio Shack will be selling a computer that has special hardware installed in it that will hook up to the external dish. I imagine that other companies are on the verge of releasing similar versions of no phone line internet service.

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212al

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212am

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212an

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212ao

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212ap

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212aq

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:46 AM
testing testing testing 1212ar

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212as

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212at

Neweller
testing testing testing 1212au

Neweller
A
137 11/13/2000 9:33:12 AM 11/13/2000 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com a/c filter cleaning? Is there an easy way to get to the a/c filter under the bed?
I cannot reach it by removing just the louvered vent. I have to remove the mattress and then unscrew the laminate wood base and slide it off the edge and then reach the coil area. Any easy way to do this? The other two coils are easier to get to. For the one in the bathroom I have found that instead of removing the louver, I can get to it by pulling out the bottom drawer and the coil is right there. In the kitchen, I can get to it fairly easy by going under the sink. The bedroom is just too difficult unless there is an easier method.

Neweller
Q
139 11/15/2000 1:34:44 PM 11/15/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com a/c filter cleaning? Yes, once in a while, we screw up. And we did so here. We examined the issue you raise and have confirmed that the only way to change the a/c filter is remove part of the bed riser. We also think there might be as many as 20 other coaches of this vintage running around with the same problem. A solution is to move the filter to the return air grill in the side of the bed riser. Our service department will do so at no charge on your coach and on any coach that was built this way.

Neweller
A
141 11/19/2000 7:55:53 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Michelin Replacement My 1996 coach has Bridgestone R293 11R24.5 Load Range H Tires.

I would like to replace them with Michelin, but a review of
the tire selector at www.michelintruck.com shows that the XZA,
XZE, XZA2, and XZA-1+ all come in 11R24.5, BUT they are all
load range G.

Does the Newell Service Dept. have a specific recommendation
either for a tire model or an alternative size equivalent
to the 11R24.5?

Neweller
Q
142 11/19/2000 9:32:08 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Owners' Directory How do I get an updated Owner's Directory?

Is there any plan to make this available online?

Neweller
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Q
143 11/19/2000 9:37:09 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Newsletter I bought my coach in August but have not received a newsletter
yet. Has this been dropped?

Why not keep all back issues online?

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Q
144 11/19/2000 9:59:04 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Cell Phone Base Mount I would like to install a base mount for my Motorola StarTac cell phone in order to get the
full 3-amp power on board my 1996 coach. What's the best place for easy access to the driver's seat?
Are there any special considerdations for installing the antenna?

Neweller
Q
145 11/19/2000 10:02:21 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Phone Line Connection Occasionally, we find an RV site with phone connection right next to the shore power. I have not been able to find an external RJ-11
jack for a phone on my coach. Is there one that I have missed?
If not, where is the best place to install one? I would like
to be able to use the phone near the dinette and my modem either
at the dinette or in the co-pilot's seat.

Neweller
Q
146 11/19/2000 10:06:24 PM 11/20/2000 Charles Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Satellite Subscription We have had our coach for four months now and are just getting
around to subscribing to one of the satellite TV services.
Most of our travel is in the Western states particularly, TX,
NM, AZ, NV, and CA. Can you recommend a particular service?

Neweller
Q
147 11/20/2000 4:50:06 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Phone Line Connection For at least the last ten model years, the external RJ-11 connection for land line telephone service has located on the rear wall of the shoreline compartment.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
A
148 11/20/2000 4:59:37 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Cell Phone Base Mount There is ample space on the right side of the instrument area of the dash to locate a cellular phone convenient to the driver. Don't forget that you will need to access 12 volt power and connect to the antenna. All late model Newells have a cellular antenna, with the wire run to the firewall area just forward of the accelerator pedal. We suggest you work with the dealer that sold you the cell phone, as his installers are probably pretty good at selecting a good base mount and working through the installation issues.

Neweller
A
149 11/20/2000 5:05:36 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Office office@newellcoach.com Newsletter The most recent newsletter was mailed in October, so we'll check to see that your name and address are properly loaded in our data base. I suggest that you confirm your correct address by e-mail to our newsletter gal, Cindy, at cindyw@newellcoach.com . The next newsletter will be mailed within a week. For a few months, we had the newsletter available online. We had some technical complications because the way we produce the hard copy version. However, we're considering posting the newsletter again.

Neweller
A
150 11/20/2000 5:14:23 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Office office@newellcoach.com Owners' Directory The next update of the Owners' Directory is scheduled for early next year. It will be mailed to chapter members automatically when completed. Any member who would like to update or confirm their address and phone number for the new directory can do so by sending an e-mail to CindyW@newellcoach.com . We have no plans for an online version for several reasons, including confidentiality of the information.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:06 AM
A
151 11/20/2000 5:23:58 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Michelin Replacement We agree with the results of your research--we have never found a load range H version of a Michelin 11R24.5 tire either. (We're had a customer who claims to have purchased such a tire, but we've never seen one.) However, don't despair. We have had excellent experience with the Bridgestone R293 11R24.5 LR-H tire. Readers should keep in mind that this advice does not apply to newer coaches equipped with 315/80 22.5 (low profile) tires. Michelin not only makes the 315 tire in our recommended load range L, but the Michelin tire is the ONLY 315 tire we recommend. Complicated, huh?

Neweller
A
152 11/20/2000 5:45:34 AM 11/20/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Satellite Subscription Nationwide, you can subscribe to programming by calling DirecTV at 1-800-347-3288 and USSB at 1-800-204-USSB. Depending on where you live, they may refer you to a local service provider. Be sure to tell DirecTV that your service is for a motor home and that you want the network channels. The networks are now available over the satellite system for RVs. If the telephone agent at DirecTV is uncooperative with your request for network programming, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Neweller
A
154 11/23/2000 5:11:30 PM 11/23/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Phone Line Connection My coach 1988 - does have the external RJ-11 located as Engr advised -- however - the outlet in the bedroom doesn't work. The line starts out to be an external weatherproof line from the box and changes somewhere to a simple inside cord like a handset. If you solve your problem, please share info with me. otto@spinn.net

Neweller
A
155 11/23/2000 8:55:14 PM 11/26/2000 Dean Stoops 67gto@bright.net Satellite Subscription I have used Dish Network for 2 years. It has worked very well.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
A
156 11/26/2000 1:23:07 PM 11/26/2000 LARRY WEIKART LARRYWEIKART@AOL.COM Satellite Subscription WHEN YOU REQUEST THE NETWORK CHANNELS FOR AN RV, DIRECTV WILL SEND YOU A FORM TO FILL OUT WITH YOUR VIN# PLUS OTHER INFORMATION. BE SURE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT OTHER SERVICES YOU CANNOT RECEIVE IF YOU RECEIVE THE NETWORKS. WE WERE TOLD WE WOULD NO LONGER BE ABLE TO GET ALL PRO OR COLLEGE SPORTS SUBSCRIPTIONS. ASK THEM TO SEND YOU THEIR MOBILE VEHICLE AFFIDAVIT DECLARATION OF INTENT AND THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. GOOD LUCK.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
A
157 11/26/2000 1:28:28 PM 11/26/2000 LARRY WEIKART LARRYWEIKART@AOL.COM Satellite receiver overheating... I HAVE THE SAME ITEMS LOCATED IN THAT AREA BUT I HAVE AN EXHAUST FAN BUILT IN THE SIDE OF THAT OVERHEAD. MY COACH IS A 94, SO I DON'T KNOW IF NEWELL HAD THIS IN 93, BUT YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK AS IT MAY BE THERE BUT NOT WORKING.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:08 AM
A
159 11/30/2000 10:15:11 AM 12/3/2000 Harold Olsen hcole@heartland . net CD Player At one time the Newells' News newsletter had operating instructions for the CD Player. I can't find the article. My CD changer plays only the first 5 of 10 discs. How can I remedy?

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Q
161 12/3/2000 8:23:06 AM 12/3/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Smoking Tires The left rear of our 1984 dropped down such that the tires were rubbing on the underside of the body. After stopping I was able to raise that corner with the leveling system. Could a defective leveling system valve cause this problem? A friend that converted a bus said the buss had blocks that stopped the body from comming all the way down when the air bags were not able to hold the body up and provide safe clearance. Can such blocks be installed on a Newell?

Neweller
Q
162 12/3/2000 8:37:55 AM 12/3/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Length & Year of Coach Could the coach length and year be included in the Newell owners directory? Owners could then contact others with the same type of coach.

Neweller
Q
163 12/3/2000 8:46:01 AM 12/3/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com TechTalk Longevity How long will a message remain on the TechTalk list? If a message is of lasting value (i.e. a maintenance tip or the Newell recommendation for oil type) could it be moved to a reference type of list?

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Q
164 12/3/2000 2:32:07 PM 12/3/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com CD Player The newsletter you reference discussed using the "shuffle" command to play selections from all of the CDs loaded in the changer in random order, rather than going through the CDs and their individual selections in order. The "shuffle" feature is very popular with owners who have learned to use it. However, from your description, you have another situation. It sounds like the changer has a problem. Of course, if you have the original operating manual for the changer, the instructions should be reviewed to see if CDs one through five can be selected to play, excluding six through ten. But we do not recall such a feature on the changers we have used.

Neweller
A
165 12/3/2000 2:57:41 PM 12/4/2000 Karl Blade KarlB@newellcoach.com TechTalk Longevity So far, we have deleted no messages once posted to TechTalk. If the format eventually becomes clumsy because of the number of subjects, we will look into some form of archiving system within our web site.

Neweller
A
166 12/3/2000 3:04:02 PM 12/4/2000 Newell sales sales@newellcoach.com Length & Year of Coach So far, the owners directory has been limited to address, phone number, e-mail address, etc. We have a sense that expanding the information beyond what is already listed would raise some privacy issues. In addition, this type of information tends to become dated within the year or two between updates. Our suggestion would be to use the TechTalk message board to solicit information from owners of similar model year and size coaches.

Neweller
A
167 12/3/2000 3:58:57 PM 12/4/2000 Jim Crall jlc@iland.net Suggestions on engine replacement I have A 381/2 ft. 1977 Newell. It had a Cummins 555 engine in it, and the crankshaft failed resulting in major damage. With the 555 engine, the coach was underpowered when driving up hills and mountains were almost impossiable.
I am considering putting a Cummins ISC 350 H.P. with an Allison M3066 trans. in it. Would you advise me if this is a good choice, would I have plenty of mountain power,could I use my original trans.( I believe is an Allison 643 ), what about my gear ratio. Please give me any information you can regarding the best engine replacment with plenty of power. If there is anyone out there who has made an engine and/or transmission upgrade, please let me know what you have and if you are pleased with the results.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Q
168 12/4/2000 12:57:56 PM 12/4/2000 K.H. 'Ki' Punilei khpaladin@aol.com Merge Switch and Solenoid In researching the electrical system our '81 40' coach I
note that the merge switch on the dash is ON-OFF-ON type
rather than ON-OFF. Investigation found a white/orange wire
on the up position contacts and a red/white on the down position contacts. It was also found there are front and rear merge solenoids that energize when either ON position
is thrown.

First - Why are there two merge solenoids? Maybe two
separate merge senerios, e.g. house to chassis batteries
when hooked to shore power versus off engine alternator
when running.
Second - What is the correct wiring? According to the
Front Terminal Panel list the White/orange wire is the
Battery Merge and the Red/white wire is the Main Diesel
Tank level.

I wish to compliment all the Newell personnel for a job
well done. My redhead and I bought our '81 coach in '98
after researching the market for about 18 months. We both
were impressed with the quality of the coach and the superb
help of your service, parts, engineering, and office people.

Best Regards

Ki and the 'Redhead'

Neweller
Q
169 12/4/2000 9:58:56 PM 12/5/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org bay door water leaks I have had a continuing problem of water leaks in my 1983 Newell. I know the bay doors were engineered differently in later years and this apparently solved the problem. I have installed new weatherstrip material but suspect the water comes through the hinge. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Neweller
Q
170 12/5/2000 5:22:40 PM 12/6/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Backup System I have an Intec "Car Vision System" in my 1983 Newell and keep blowing a fuse on the hot side wire. There must be a short somewhere but I can't figure it out. Where can I find a contact for Intec to locate someone in my geographical area (Oregon) who can trouble shoot my system? I really don't know where to turn! Thanks!

Neweller
Q
171 12/6/2000 8:36:06 AM 12/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Backup System Your best source for trouble shooting this problem is the Intec Technical Support and Customer Service Department at 1-800-468-3254. They are located in Laguna Hills, California. If possible before you call, remove the monitor from the dash and make note of the model number and serial number located on the back. This will assist the Intec technician to trouble shoot your problem.

Neweller
12-06-2012, 05:12 AM
A
172 12/6/2000 8:53:42 AM 12/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Smoking Tires The solonoid valves which control the air leveling systems weaken over time and eventually will fail. Therefore, we suggest replacement of the "mode" valve every few years, and the other valves on an as needed basis. You may also wish to upgrade to the later model system we began using in 1990. The cost of the upgrade, parts and labor, is about $1200.

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:48 AM
A
173 12/6/2000 9:51:41 AM 12/6/2000 Tech Talk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Suggestions on engine replacement We urge caution. A coach repower is a complicated and expensive project. A new engine and transmission package "in the crate" could easily cost about $50,000. In addition, many issues would require resolution, including providing increased cooling capacity to handle the extra power. A more powerful engine may be physically larger and not fit within the space available, so frame or body modifications may be required. We expect that the labor costs will be both substantial and difficult to predict with accuracy. You might wish to take the substantial amount of money that could be involved and put it toward a trade for a later model coach, perhaps a 475 - 500 hp 8V92 powered Newell from the mid-1980s or later.

Neweller
A
174 12/6/2000 11:14:04 AM 12/7/2000 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Merge Switch and Solenoid The Newell battery merge system has been used in its current form for over 25 years. The merge system uses a single solenoid located on the rear panel. BECAUSE A SOLENOID WEAKENS OVER TIME AND USE AND EVENTUALLY FAILS, WE RECOMMEND THAT THE MERGE SOLENOID BE REPLACED ANNUALLY. The single control switch on the dash has three positions. The center position is "off," while both the up or down positions are for merging through the solenoid. In this way, the batteries can be merged by the solenoid powered by either bank of batteries. Otherwise, if the solenoid was powered by only one battery bank, and this was the battery bank that was discharged, the solenoid switch would not close and would not merge the batteries. The wires powering the two sides of the switch are (power from engine batteries) red with a white stripe and (power from house batteries) orange with a black stripe. The single wire to send power from the switch to the solenoid is white with an orange stripe. On a 1981 model, you will probably find the two source wires on the front fuse block in positions 17 and 18, and the wire from the switch to the solenoid on the front terminal board in position 23.

Neweller
A
176 12/8/2000 7:51:48 AM 12/8/2000 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Toilet The toilet in my Newell is not operating properly. I have replaced air/water cycle valve, but still have to plung toilet after using toilet paper. The timer has been adjusted anywhere from 3-7 seconds. This does not correct the problem.

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Q
177 12/8/2000 7:57:10 AM 12/8/2000 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Windows My coach windows have begun to leak, mostly while driving. Can they be repaired? Also, is it normal for rivet heads to come off on sides?

Neweller
Q
178 12/8/2000 1:06:19 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Toilet From your comments, it appears your coach is equipped with a Microphor RV toilet. However, we do not have enough information to speculate on a diagnosis. We suggest that you call the Microphor customer support department at 1-800-358-8280, ext. 122 and describe your situation in more detail. Microphor provides very good direct customer support.

Neweller
A
179 12/8/2000 1:25:34 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com bay door water leaks The piano hinge along the top edge of the door has a gasket the is squeezed between the two sides of the hinge when the door is closed. This gasket may be deteriorated and need to be replaced. Also, the door frame is secured by rivets which require sealer to prevent leaks. This sealer may have deteriorated through the years and require renewel.

Neweller
A
180 12/8/2000 2:11:56 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Windows There are a variety of causes for windows beginning to leak with age. The window frames may require new caulking. The felt along which the windows slide may be worn. The drain holes along the bottom edge of the frames may be plugged, causing the channels to fill with water and overrun. We suggest that you have an experienced RV technician diagnose and make the repairs required.

Neweller
A
181 12/8/2000 9:55:37 PM 12/9/2000 Samuel P. Ryan samuelpryan@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach An open solicitation to purchase a '94-'96 Newell Coach. I reside in the Dallas, TX area, and am interested in talking to you about your coach.

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Q
183 12/10/2000 7:41:14 AM 12/10/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Pre-Owned Newell Coach Is Tech Talk really a place to run want adds? I doubt it.Is this service, provided by Newell Coach, a place for want adds in competition to Newell sales force?

Neweller
A
184 12/10/2000 9:45:40 AM 12/10/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach We have a fairly liberal standard for approving the postings offered for TechTalk. Every message is reviewed, edited, hopefully accurately for grammer and spelling, and most are approved for posting. We won't post any disparaging comments, items that are probably not of any interest to Newell owners and friends, nor items that are very specific (such as, "What are the paint numbers for my coach?") that should really be handled personally by the participant with the Newell service or sales department. We doubt that we would post a "for sale" notice, but we think the "I'm looking for a Newell..." post was okay. A good, active resale market in preowned Newells benefits all Newell owners as well as the company. And after all, the Newell sales force is also free to respond directly to the poster, and something tells me that they already have! What do some others think of this issue?

Neweller
A
186 12/11/2000 12:48:29 PM 12/11/2000 larry weikart larryweikart@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach I agree! I believe it benefits all and keeps the market active and honest. If and when we decide to sell our 94, it would only be to purchase a new one.

Neweller
A
188 12/14/2000 5:03:59 PM 12/15/2000 Linda Schneider ltschneider@earthlink.net Rivet Heads The rivet heads on our 1977 Newell are coming off in places. Is this normal?

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Q
189 12/15/2000 11:05:47 AM 12/15/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Rivet Heads Rivets can fatigue over time and break. When this occurs, we recommend that you drill the rivet out and install a pop rivet in its place. (A drive rivet will not work because
you can't hold the bucking bar behind the rivet). The rivet head should be covered with a cherry cap. Replacing broken rivets is a relatively easy and quick procedure, although if the area is painted, repainting will be required for a finished, original look.

Neweller
A
190 12/16/2000 7:38:53 AM 12/17/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach Before we purchased our 1984 Newell I converted a 1974 bus into a motor home. If your hobby is improving an older vehicle, do not expect to get more then half of your $$$ back. I did not. When a friend saw my 1984 Newell after he had put over twice what I paid for the 1984 Newell into a 1970 GMC, he was not to happy. He tried to sell his very nice 1970 converted GMC earlier this year, asking $150,000. Many lookers but no offers at the Bus Conversion Convention.

Neweller
A
191 12/17/2000 7:44:16 AM 12/17/2000 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Hot Water in Shower What year Newell? In My 82 Newell I could only get hot water. I checked the shower valve and it was OK. Taking off the valve cover in the closet, I found on each side of the shower valve there was a spring loaded (check?) valve. I cleaned the valves and now all works great. I guess one could remove the spring and plunger and get the same results.

Neweller
A
192 12/17/2000 8:13:26 AM 12/17/2000 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature What temperatures are normal? Both the engine and tranny temp.on my 1982 6V92 turbo just come off the peg. Putting both the sensors in boiling water and they show about 215 or so. Going down the road, the engine temp shows about 160. On a hard pull, the tranny. temp comes up a little but not the engine oil temp. Is this OK? The engine cooling will rise with a hard pull and hot temp has gone to 220.

Neweller
Q
193 12/18/2000 7:21:48 PM 12/20/2000 Harold Olsen hcole@heartland.net Tag axle switch on dash The switch on the dash labeled "tag" is a three position switch, up, down, and center (neutral). Does pressing up fill the air bag or release air in the bag? After pressing to the up position, the switch returns to the center. What occurs then?

Neweller
Q
194 12/20/2000 12:16:30 PM 12/20/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tag axle switch on dash The "tag axle" switch controls the air pressure in the tag axle suspension air bags. Pushing the button toward the "up" side increases air pressure, adding load to the tag axle and taking load (weight) off of the drive axle. It can be used to bring the drive axle load under the limit imposed on the Ohio turnpike. Pushing the button "down" relieves air pressure from the tag axle suspension. This adds weight to the drive axle, increasing traction while driving on mud, snow, or ice. Combined with the driver controlled locking differential, the coach will "walk out" of situations where otherwise it would be stuck and require an expensive tow. If the switch is a momentary type, returning to the center after activation, the air pressure will return to normal when the switch is released. Later model coaches use a positive switch with an audible alarm when activated rather than a momentary switch.

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
A
195 12/24/2000 7:33:52 AM 12/24/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Locking Differential On this board, reference has been made to a "driver controlled locking differential." Is this a standard item? How do you engage the locking feature? I do not have any identified control.

Neweller
Q
196 12/24/2000 9:54:06 AM 12/24/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Locking Differential A driver activated locking differential has been standard on Newell coaches for many years, as best I recall, since the late 1980s. When a coach is so equipped, a switch labeled "DIFF LOCK" is located on the instrument panel. In situations such as driving on ice, snow, or mud where traction becomes a problem, activating the differential lock prevents one set of rear duals from freely spinning while the opposing set simply sits inert. On three axle coaches, traction can be further enhanced by pushing the "TAG AXLE" switch to the down position, lowering air pressure in the tag axle air bags which transfers weight to the drive axle. As far as we know, Newell is the only motor coach manufacturer to include a locking differential, although we believe that this is a very worthwhile feature considering the less than ideal driving conditions that can be encountered on occasion.

Neweller
A
197 12/24/2000 12:18:00 PM 12/25/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Locking Differential for staff: my coach is 1988 deliv in march 1988 to: Robert Hedman
Vin: 1N9912X84J10111011 - Does not have switch on dash labeled Dif Lock.
Thank you for your response.

Neweller
A
198 12/26/2000 6:22:51 PM 12/28/2000 Dean 67gto@bright.net Suggestions on engine replacement I can relate to the lack of power. I have a 1978 Newell with the Cummins 555. I have considered repowering as well. I think we would need to change the final drive ratio if we go to an inline 6 cylinder. The larger diesels don't run as high an r.p.m. as the 555. If you check with a diesel engine rebuilder you may be able to find a rebuilt 555 priced fairly reasonably. Sell the 555 powered Newell to a flatlander and trade up! I'm curious, how many miles did you get out of that motor?

Neweller
A
199 12/27/2000 6:53:50 PM 12/28/2000 LOWELL wasarose@earthlink.net ENGINE TORQUE 2001 COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF 1650 FT LB TORQUE IS AVAILABLE
ON THE NEW COACHES?

Neweller
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Q
200 12/28/2000 10:02:30 AM 12/28/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com ENGINE TORQUE 2001 The 1650 ft. lb. torque Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine became stanard equipment in the spring of 2000, replacing the 1550 ft. lb. version. This 100 ft. lb. increase became available because Allison introduced an uprated version of the World Transmission. Previously, the transmission was restricted to a maximum of 1550 ft. lb. torque. The new transmission also carries a 5 year / 200,000 mile warranty instead of the previous 2 year warranty. The new engine continues to be rated at 500 hp @ 2100 r.p.m. Therefore, while the power output at the red line has not changed, the increased torque provides noticably improved response at mid-range engine speeds where the engine is most often operating. We would like to use the 1800 ft. lb. torque, 550 hp version of the Series 60, but the Allison engineers get red faced and start hyperventilating every time we talk about it.

Neweller
A
202 12/30/2000 1:18:09 PM 12/30/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature All of the temperatures you reference appear normal, with the possible exception of the engine temperature stabilizing at 160 F, which sounds a little low. We would expect to see more like 180 F. You might have the thermostat tested to see if it's opening too soon, although even so, this would not be much of a problem.

Neweller
A
203 12/30/2000 8:51:16 PM 1/1/2001 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com. skylight gaskets We have a 1986 40 foot with three skylights. The gasket seal on two of these have been damagaed and are leaking. These were manafactured by Kenco. I have been told that this company is no longer in business. Short of installing new lights does anyone know who might sell replacement gaskets? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Neweller
Q
204 12/31/2000 7:13:56 PM 1/1/2001 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature Thanks for your answer, I,ll just keep my eye on the temp. Also people need to know how IMPORTANT it is to keep the radiator clean.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:52 AM
A
205 12/31/2000 7:18:02 PM 1/1/2001 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Length & Year of Coach Good idea, Don. I know all Newells are made to order, but all the lengths are something else. I know yours is a 40 and mine a 39. What else is there out there?

Neweller
A
206 1/3/2001 5:41:37 AM 1/3/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature I have also had temp problems with my 6V92T (in a retrofitted 78 coach). Last summer it ran up to almost 210 on the mountain stretches in AZ. So far, Detroit has changed coolant, and I've changed radiator cap. Weather makes it hard to assess. If the problem comes back, I expect them to check the thermostat. Any other steps you recommend?

Neweller
A
207 1/3/2001 6:00:34 AM 1/3/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Positive Feedback! Thank you for establishing this Tech Talk service!
For the past five years, we have enjoyed our 78 Newell immensely. However, except for two trips to the factory, we have felt like we're out there alone. Your Tech Talk service has changed all that for the better.
Of course, the factory visits were very enlightening, and calls to your parts department or to the service technicians, some of whom built the coach, have always been extremely productive. However, there has been no good way to learn about the ins and outs of our coach except through direct question and answer to you. Tech Talk is connecting us to all the other owners of the older coaches, as well as to your experts. It is a wonderful idea.
Again, we greatly appreciate your company's continued commitment to the coaches you have built. We wish you all the best in the New Year.

Maura and Dick Quirk
Ft. Huachuca, AZ

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Q
209 1/7/2001 2:38:17 PM 1/7/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Electric Heaters I have 3 electric heaters in my 1986 Coach. Two of the fan motors have stopped working. There is not a name on either one. Can you be of any help? Both are same size. A third heater in the bath appears to be smaller, but is still working.

Neweller
Q
210 1/8/2001 12:05:43 PM 1/8/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Electric Heaters From your description, we believe that you are referring to forced air electric in wall heaters manufactured between 1970 and 1986 as model TW 1222 heaters under the Square D or Nelco brand names. In 1996, Square D conducted a recall of these heaters. The recall stated that if the blower wheel does not operate, OVERHEATING MAY OCCUR RESULTING IN A FIRE WHICH COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE. Do not operate the heaters. You should replace the heaters with new units designed and manufactured by Marley Electric as a field replacement for TW series heaters. The new heaters are available from Newell Parts by calling Gerald Williams, 1-888-363-9355. The 1996 recall was conducted entirely by Square D and information on the progress of the recall was not shared with Newell Coach. For this reason, unfortunately, Newell has no records pertaining to the recall status of particular coaches.

Neweller
A
211 1/8/2001 4:00:57 PM 1/13/2001 Jim Weckman jweckman@hutchtel.net skylight gaskets You may want to try some of the after market supply companies like JC Whitney, or get a copy of a Hemmings Motor News to look for automotive restoration companies specializing in rubber trim and gaskets.

Neweller
A
212 1/8/2001 5:25:56 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Electric Heaters I had the same problem in my 1979 and 1987 Newells. The Square D recall provided for a replacement heater at a wholesale price of something like $110. The problem was it didn't fit in the same hole (heater was wider). If you need the smaller one, like in the bathroom, and if Newell doesn't have it, you can get it from Grainger for about $125. If you don't have a Grainger account, email me, John Clark jvclark02@cs.com .

Neweller
A
213 1/8/2001 5:43:01 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Michelin Replacement I agree with Newell on the Bridgestones, and have also found Toyo tires to be very good. I prefer to use steer tire versus drive tires, as they have a reinforced edge to reduce cupping. It may be just me, but I also think they ride better. I have a 1987 with a tag axle, and just spent the summer in Alaska with no problems.

Neweller
A
214 1/8/2001 5:48:55 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Satellite receiver overheating... I bought a small 12 volt muffin fan (quiet is the key) and installed it over one of the vents. Problem solved. You can use a swithch or thermostat to activate it.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:54 AM
A
216 1/12/2001 9:26:54 AM 1/16/2001 Jim Weckman jweckman@hutchtel.net skylight gaskets Both JC Whitney and Hemmings Motor News are on line and may be a source for the seals you need.

Neweller
A
218 1/15/2001 8:37:59 PM 1/16/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net Inadequate AC - 1986 40' I have heard of coaches being modified to enable the roof air conditioners to operate while on the road. Do you have any suggestions as to the proper modification to use?

Neweller
Q
219 1/16/2001 6:36:43 AM 1/16/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature The following message, received from John Clark, was inadvertently deleted from this string on the Tech Talk Board, and is reposted:

I have an 8V92, and have experienced much the same temperatues you have. I just finished a 17,000 mile trip to Alaska trip and engine temps between 160 and 210 seemed the norm. When my engine approaches 210 and there's a lot of grade left I usually slow down and shift to lower gear. If you can back down 5 to 10 lbs on your boost gauge, it will make a big difference on your water temp. I also carry a 2 gallon yard sprayer (filled with 409/Fantastic etc. and hot water) with me so I can rinse off dirt and oil build up on my radiator (accessible coin operated pressure washers are getting harder to find). Keeping the radiator clean, using the proper coolant (and mixing it properly), and backing off the throttle on long grades, should keep you from having the most expensive boat anchor in town. The Detroit 92 series engines do not like to be overheated; if you warp the heads, you might as well put jam in your pockets, because you are toast.

Neweller
A
220 1/16/2001 8:00:17 AM 1/16/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Suggestions on engine replacement A quick check of the internet shows a Cummins 555 for $4500 and a Cummins 903 for $3500. I think a 903 gives about 350 hp vs. your 555 at 240. They look damn near identical, and Newell used both engines in their late 70s early 80s coaches. Maybe an "old timer" at Newell can clarify the differences.

Neweller
A
221 1/16/2001 8:15:42 PM 1/17/2001 Danny Roccaforte, Darby Oil droc@ih2000.net Tag axle pressure On my 1987 40', what air pressure should I run to the tag axle in normal driving conditions?

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Q
222 1/16/2001 8:30:43 PM 1/17/2001 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com. Inadequate AC - 1986 40' The only problem that I have encountered is that it is necessary to start the generator while the coach is standing still. There is a squarrel cage blower that supplies air for generator cooling. At times the ram air can get this fan running backwards while the coach is moving. If you start the generator while this condition exists it can continue to turn backwards and not provide the necessay air to cool. Other than this we haven't had any propblems running the air conditioners while underway.

Neweller
A
223 1/17/2001 3:45:25 PM 1/17/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Inadequate AC - 1986 40' The problem of the generator fan turning backwards after being started during driving can be cured by installing a new fan and motor designed to reverse the air flow. The parts required to make this change can be ordered by calling Jim Gering, the Newell service manager, at 1-888-363-9355. If you prefer not to incur the expense and trouble of making the change, be sure to start the generator while the coach is stopped.

Neweller
A
224 1/17/2001 3:49:58 PM 1/17/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tag axle pressure We recommend 25 psi.

Neweller
A
225 1/18/2001 8:24:14 AM 1/21/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net Inadequate AC - 1986 40' My question really referred to possibly using an inverter with power from the engine electrical system to run the 110v. system! What are the thoughts about this? I currently use the generator but do not like to do it that way.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:56 AM
A
226 1/20/2001 8:52:13 PM 1/21/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Electric Heaters I went through that recall with Square D on our 1978 Newell. Square D paid a good part of the costs. It is possible that they are still doing so. If you are interested, I will dig out contact information for Square D.
The new heaters they sent are more narrow than the originals. Furthermore, they are wired for an electric entrance on the right of the heater (as you look at it), whereas the old ones had their electric entrance on the left. Rerouting was not too difficult, but there were a few tricks involved. Again, if you decide to use these newer heaters, I will send you my experiences.

Neweller
A
227 1/21/2001 12:28:48 PM 1/21/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net roof AC from eng. & inverter? Any suggestions other than the aux. gen. to use the engine 12 volt electrical system with an inverter for 110 volts for roof ACs?

Neweller
Q
228 1/21/2001 5:34:41 PM 1/23/2001 Dean 67gto@bright.net roof AC from eng. & inverter? Using an invertor to power the roof A/C is quite common on the bus conversions. I believe they sometimes add a second engine driven alternator to keep the house batteries charged
as they run the invertor.

Neweller
A
230 1/23/2001 4:48:37 AM 1/23/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? I run my front roof air off my Heart 3000 Inverter. My amp guage shows about 60 amps usage. I always wait until my batteries are fully charged before putting the load on my engine alternator.

Neweller
A
231 1/23/2001 5:04:44 AM 1/23/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Tag axle pressure When I pull into a rest area, I usually check my tire temps with my hand. I started noticing that my tag tires where running hotter than my drive. I found the guage to be the problem (10 years old) and replaced it with a 0-50 psi guage. I have found that a setting somewhere between 20 and 30 PSI will keep the tire temps the same.
Using your hand to check the temps will also help find a low tire ( I found as little as 10 psi will make a noticeble temp. change). I still check my tires with a guage on a normal schedule.

Neweller
A
232 1/23/2001 5:51:38 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Air Leaks My 1986 40', after a day or two, will drop all the way down on passenger side. I have tried leaving level switch on and turning it off. The air compressor is working properly.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:57 AM
233 1/23/2001 5:57:16 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Electric Heaters I found that Carroll Appliance is handling the recall for Square D. Mark Casey is the contact 800-654-3545. He sent me three new heaters at $88.00 each. Thanks for all your help.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:57 AM
A
234 1/23/2001 6:08:54 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com skylight gaskets Mine only leak while driving. I have installed sun roof air diverter purchased at Auto Zone parts store, the type used for car sunroofs.

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:31 AM
235 1/23/2001 2:56:17 PM 1/23/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Air Leaks With the manual system (four toggle switches, one for each corner, plus a master on/off) rather than the later, single button automatic system, once you have leveled, turn the master switch to off. If you still have a leak that causes the coach to become unlevel, you can try to find the leak by using soapy water to soak all of the connections between the leveling valves and the air bags until you find one (or more) that bubble.

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:31 AM
A
236 1/24/2001 5:04:17 AM 1/24/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com New Leveling Systems In your tech reply to air leaks, you mentioned a newer one lever leveling system versus my 1987 4 toggle system. Is there an upgrade kit available from you or an aftermarket source for the control unit?

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Q
237 1/24/2001 3:47:09 PM 1/24/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? Through the years, we have equipped a handful of new coaches to operate a 120 volt air conditioner from a large inverter powered by a high capacity alternator. However, we are not enthusiastic about this approach. While the system can be designed within the theoretical capacities of the individual electrical components, the alternator and inverter are being pushed very hard under these circumstances. In addition, the large amount of DC current flowing between the alternator and inverter to produce the approximately 1500 watts to run an a/c can result in a simple fault (i.e., loose connection) having a serious result (i.e., fire). Further, there is a temptation to push this approach even further, running an a/c from the batteries, a situation we feel is far too aggressive. We suggest using the on board generator to operate the a/c and avoiding the considerable extra expense and risk of attempting to use the inverter for this job. By the way, using the alternator to supply the inverter with current for air conditioning loads is not "free power." The alternator under this type of load will consume an extra 15 hp or so from the main engine. This is power that is not available for climbing hills, etc., and fuel mileage is affected. Operating the generator supplies independent power for the a/cs, and the fuel used is, to some extent, an offset from the decreased mileage of putting this load on the main engine. Others may differ, but this is our opinion.

Neweller
A
238 1/26/2001 4:47:46 PM 1/26/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com New Leveling Systems There is no retrofit kit as such to convert from the four button system to the single button, automatic system. One would have to go through the leveling system adding and replacing parts as required, to end up with the automatic system. While the automatic system is certainly convenient, with the single push of a button all that is required, a well maintained, properly functioning four button system will do an excellent job. Without making a study of it, we'd estimate that the changeover could easily run a couple thousand dollars, and perhaps some frustration before everything was operating correctly. As a related aside: the solenoid valves operate with magnets and springs. Over time, they will gradually weaken and eventually fail. Therefore, expect some maintenance on the air leveling systems from time to time.

Neweller
A
239 1/28/2001 8:53:22 PM 1/29/2001 Dean 67gto@bright.net 1978 bay door latches I'm getting ready to repaint. The round bay door latches on my 1978 are getting rusty. Is there a good source for new ones? Do you stock them at the factory? If so how much do they cost?
Thanks!

Neweller
Q
240 1/29/2001 8:24:59 AM 1/29/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1978 bay door latches You can order Newell parts, or check stock and prices, by calling us toll free at 1-888-363-9355. With specific regard to the stainless steel bay door locks you need, the part number is NC6263, 6 are currently in stock, the price is $66.86 each.

Neweller
A
241 2/5/2001 4:52:26 AM 2/5/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? A recent e-mail has prompted me to better explain my use of an inverter powered roof a/c:
1) My Brisk Air HE provides 20% more cooling, while using 25% less energy (less than 10 amps) than my factory supplied Mach III.
2) My 3000 watt inverter is operating at 35% of its continuous duty rating. My alternator is operating at 55% of its rated capacity (65% if I turn my solar system off).
3)The absence of noise and vibration from the genset is well worth the parasitic 10-15 HP on the main engine. (Come on now Newell, 15 HP off a 500 Detroit is peanuts, and you can always start the genset if you see a mountain pass looming ahead).
5) I am sure that in 3 to 4 years from now, I will be chastised for my outdated/obsolete energy wasting system, but what the hey, I still love new technolgy.
6) Thank you Newell (Karl), for providing an excellent, well laid out bulletin board, and providing your staff to reply to our questions. Cheers: John Clark

Neweller
A
242 2/8/2001 11:59:04 AM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature I too have experienced a little heating problem, I think. Just had the radiator removed, cleaned and a small leak repaired in our 1983 6V92. Had the transmission serviced and AMSOIL synthetic installed (I'm a dealer). Transmission temp rarely gets much off the peg unless pulling long hills in very hot weather. Engine oil temp usually runs around 190-205 degrees but as of late, the water temp is showing strange signs: The instrument needle will jump up and down a little when up to highway speed and seems to be running closer to 212 degrees. In the past it pretty much followed the oil temp. Is it possible that my water temp sending unit is going? It's up on the back of the expansion tank on the back of the radiator and I see no loose wires. Can anyone tell me how to test this to be sure it is sending an accurate reading to my dash instrument?

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:33 AM
A
243 2/8/2001 12:03:02 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Backup System I sent my Intec camera and monitor back to the company and they promptly repaired the problems. It is back in now and working correctly, but seems to not be providing a sharp focus. I remember the tech guy at Intec saying he needed to tweek the focus a little, but I think he tweeked the wrong way!

Neweller
A
244 2/8/2001 12:08:33 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Positive Feedback! I sure agree with you Dick! After three+ years I have finally learned nearly everything about our 1983, but still get stumped from time to time. I think the factory folks do a good job trying to figure our problems out, and this forum was a great idea to add to that. Keep up the good work Karl and staff!

Neweller
A
245 2/8/2001 12:10:44 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Rivet Heads I have experienced the same thing as Linda Schneider. Can you tell me what a "cherry cap" is and where I can get them? Thanks!

Neweller
A
246 2/8/2001 12:17:55 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Merge Switch and Solenoid Should the battery condition meter read the same regardless if the switch is in the up or down position? Also, is it okay to leave the switch in the merge position at all times when on the road or when connected to electric service? I assume that by leaving the batteries merged while not hooked up will drain both the starting and house batteries and not be a good idea.

Neweller
A
247 2/10/2001 1:12:24 PM 2/10/2001 Wesley Johnson wjjohns@pressenter.com 1979 Newell fire..restore We have replaced all the sides windows in our 1974 Newell. They are all good and we still have them. Bedroom 21x55. They are angled. Dining area is the same. Maybe this will help, send a reply if interested. They are regular glass not insulated.

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Wesley Johnson Phone (715)749-3456 A
248 2/10/2001 7:34:59 PM 2/26/2001 Les Renfro LRCOMPROP@CS.COM 1990 38FOOT NEWELL We are looking at a 1990 38 ft. Newell to possibly purchase, and would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give us as to dependability or drawbacks to that year model/coach. Would like to hear any comments or about experiences that anyone has had.

Neweller
Q
249 2/11/2001 12:22:12 PM 2/26/2001 HAROLD OLSEN carol.olsen@verizon.net Amp hrs Amper hours accumulate on my link 2000 heart interface when the coach is pluged in. Why? Next. how are steering axle tiresw identified frm drive tires?

Neweller
Q
251 2/14/2001 8:03:04 PM 2/26/2001 corky cfeole@bigfoot.com 1969Newell coach hi i just sold my fathers 1969 26ft newell it sold for $10,000 i have a 30 ft newell that would take considerbly more to buy if i was ready to let it go but i am having to much fun with it. A

Neweller
252 2/15/2001 1:52:06 PM 2/26/2001 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Air Leaks If your coach has the MAC valves (6 in front & 6 in back) as a part of the leveling system air can leak out the top of the valve around the manual operate (push & lock) plunger. Or a valve might not close all the way due to a broken manual operate shaft (I had one) or grit inside the solenoid might prevent it from fully retracting (I also found grit in several valves in the engine compartment). I rebuilt all my leaking valves with a rebuild kits available from MAC distributors at about $10.00 each. Most valves can be rebuilt without taking them out of the vehicle, just loosen them from their mounting. On some I had to remove one air hose to get access to the valve. Or MAC will rebuild your valves for about half the price of a new valve. I bought one new valve ($40.00)so I could take it apart and study the inside. I suppose a leaking ride height valve could ccause air to leave one (or more) air bags.

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:35 AM
A
253 2/15/2001 2:15:33 PM 2/26/2001 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Electric Heaters The Square D heaters on my 1984 have a heat sensitive safety switch that disconnects the power if the fan motor is not working to keep air flowing through the unit (they get hot and stop). The one in the water bay evidentally stopped when the coach was parked in freezing weather causing the pipes to freeze for a former owner. I found that bathroom vent fan motors at Home Base(Depot)have the same footprint as the original Square D fan motors. I put a 70 CFM vent fan motor (less than $20.00)in one of my units Square D units (had to use spacers to get clearance)and the blower seems to spin faster than the other SD operating units. The repaired unit fit into the original case. Maybe the original blower motors are 50 CFM. These electric heaters require periodic cleaning and the blower bearings need a drop or two of oil. The service interval depends on how dusty the environment is where the coach is used with the heaters running.

Neweller
A
254 2/16/2001 11:51:07 AM 2/26/2001 Tuga Gaidry tuga@cajun.net Sanitron I have been using Clorox to eliminate odors in my holding tank for about 10 years - no problems - no fuss - inexpensive. Immediately after dumping, just pour a quart of Clorox in the toilet and flush. The chlorine kills the bacteria; no more odors!

Neweller
A
255 2/16/2001 3:53:47 PM 2/26/2001 Carl Tesch teschc@lati/tec/sd/us vaccuum venturi assembly I am an instructor in a Diesel Technical school. We are working on a Newell Motor Home which belongs to the Governor of South Dakota. We have all the information we need to work on the brakes, engine, gen set, etc. ; but very little technical information on Newell itself.
I am trying to repair a constant air leak from the exhaust port of the vaccuum venturi assembly which I think supplies vaccuum to the heater/defroster blend doors. I have purchased a new venturi assembly and it acts the same as the old one. I have used a hand vaccuum pump to supply vaccuum to the "S" port but this still does not close the valve. Any suggestions? Can you tell me how this device is supposed to work?
thanks for your time and attention.

Neweller
Q
256 2/18/2001 7:51:48 PM 2/26/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Oil grades I need to make sure that I understand your guidance here. I have a '78 with a Detroit 6V92TA. The engine was produce in 1980, and retrofitted to the coach. In all that I have read, especially from Detroit, the only oil to use under standard conditions is SAE 40 oil. Detroit does especially speak strongly against multi viscosity oils. If I understand you correctly, Delvac is the unique exception to this rule. With an engine of this model and age, should I switch to Delvac 1?
Last question...what about the other Delvac's, are they also appropriate, or is Delvac I the only Delvac to use in these engines?
Dick Quirk

Neweller
A
257 2/19/2001 6:20:38 PM 2/26/2001 D. Carpus DCarpus@DCarpus.com Inadequate AC - 1986 40' Featherlite Coach has been doing this for a couple of years and have had what they claim to be great success. They are using a pair of 4kw Trace inverters to do this. My concern about doing this in a 86 coach would be that the alternator is not large enough and that it would require quite a bit of cooling on the inverter(s), but this does sound like a concept worth looking in to,

Neweller
A
259 2/22/2001 12:23:44 PM 2/26/2001 HAROLD OLSEN carol.olsen@verizon.net link2000 my link2000 shows a build up of nergitive amp hrs when pluged in to proper (30 or 50 amp) supply. It also does "go to Float" after a resonaqblwe time then continues to build neg. hrs. Why?

Neweller
Q
261 2/23/2001 10:47:37 PM 2/26/2001 Walter Preston wlp55@attglobal.net Electric Heaters Our 87 has Cadet heaters that have also been recalled. Are these the same as the Square D?

Neweller
12-09-2012, 04:36 AM
262 2/26/2001 7:38:46 AM 2/26/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com vaccuum venturi assembly The device you describe is a vacuum generator used on older model Newell coaches. It uses a small amount of air pressure to produce vacuum to operate the heater controls. What you are hearing under the front of the coach (just behind the front bumper) is normal as the device continually exhausts a small amount of air.