PDA

View Full Version : At what interval should I refill propane tank

GypsyCliff
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I am doing rather well on propane usage, but coming up on an issue. When should I draw the line, and go fill it up, again? (For whatever reason, propane dealers will not deliver)

I have never ran it dry, so I don't know what the meter reads, at that point.

I have the control panel display, inside, and a meter on the tank in the propane bay. The meter is a round dial, with hash marks around the circumference. It is marked 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 at appropriate intervals.

I don't have the guts to run it down too close to 0, as I am allergic to cold! http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/rolleyes.gif

Am I safe to go down to 1/4? Lower than that?

Thank you,

Cliff

The Newell
11-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Here is my opinion: A tank gauge and also the internal indicator, I would trust the external gauge more than the inside indicator. Both are operated by a magnetic control system inside the tank. The tank gauge is quite reliable because it is all mechanical.

The inside indicator uses the same mechanism but relies on a rheostat to feed the right resistance value to that indicator. The rheostat (variable resistor) could be marginal/defective/dirty to give a false indication. Fixing that problem will take another post.

My suggestion is that if you are nearing the 1/4 full mark on the external gauge, get the tank refilled, just to be sure.

Paul Wilbert
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't let it get below 1/4. If something happens and you can't go and get it filled, then you have a few days buffer to get you through.

NewellCrazy
11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Make note of what outside gauge says when you get it filled. Compute difference #s/gals when full/filled. Next time you will know how much is still in the tank when the gauge (not monitor panel) reads XXX.