PDA

View Full Version : Weird Odor coming from fridge

Jonesy
11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
The fridge, when I started it up this morning upon departure, emitted this awful smell. I guess I thought it was food I left in the fridge last night, and didn't think much of it, until I realized that not only was it still giving off this smell, it also wasn't cooling, but the freezer was, and did not have this smell.

After much reading in my manual and on the net, all I can find is stuff on ammonia, but this is NOT an ammonia smell. I am thinking maybe it's a ventilating issue, since all the vents on top are likely either frozen or covered with snow. Thoughts?

We have the furnace running since we are in cold temps, but we have turned the fridge setting to electric since we are in the campground.

Thanks,

Jonesy

folivier
11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Do you have a CO (carbon monoxide) detector in your coach?
You should. This odor could be related to CO if your vents are not working properly.

Randy J
11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Forest is right. Make sure your vents are working properly.

speedingsport
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Def. check it or take it in to have looked at.

The Newell
11-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Check your vents, The refer will not work properly if the vent is covered and the black and gray tanks also need to be vented or you'll get odors from them.

Not sure what you are smelling. Could you describe the smell? Dirty socks, rotten meat, sewer, propane, etc.?

ccjohnson
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
If it is a food related odor, try some baking soda and/or crush some charcoal briquets. Place these in some CLEAN old socks. Leave them in the freezer/refrigerator until the odors goes away. Took about 2-3 weeks to completely get rid of rotten meat odor that resulted from not setting unit to auto so it would switch to propane.

NewellCrazy
11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
exhaust maybe? . I've been in a coach when the fridge blew and there is just no mistaking the ammonia smell. You would know and so would your neighbors. Good point about getting the tank vents open also. You could start getting sewer smells to add to the mix.

1993Newell
11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Whatever it is I hope you get the smelly situation taken care of. lol!;)