PDA

View Full Version : Can I Run My Fridge With An Inverter In 120V Mode

Jon ghiles
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
can you run a RV fridge in 120v mode with a inverter? and how big of one would i need? how long should i expect it to last?

I've heard that the heating elements in rv fridges pull around 400-1000 watts but there's a big difference there. any closer numbers?

thanks

Jon

NewellCrazy
12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Short answer: YES.. The fridge takes aroudn 350-450 watts depending on the make and model when it's running, run cycle can be well over 50% so a single pair of U-2200's can run it 2-4 hours. That's the problem.. Run time.

The Newell
12-04-2012, 11:36 PM
It's quite common for people to run a fridge via inverter while driving and the engine alternator can keep the batteries up, but less so when parked. You need an adequate battery bank for the wattage and even 400 watts is a lot at 12-13dcv. On a moderately warm day, the fridge will run most of the time, so that pretty much continuous at temps much above 70 degrees.

A new residential type fridge with a low energy compressor is actually more efficient if you wont to run in this fashion. Wattage is similar but the duty cycle less.