PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Problems Any idea's

GypsyCliff
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Hello all,

About four days ago my furnace began acting up. After the fans turned for about 60-90 seconds, we heard a fairly loud bang, kind of like a small firecracker going off. I shut it down right away, and tried it again the next night and heard the same sound. It was pretty scary so we did not use it again for the rest of the trip.

Anybody have an idea of what the problem might be? I'm handy enough to fix it (I think), but not sure where to start. Any ideas? Thanks.

Paul Wilbert
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Check for obstructions in the outside combustion air intake and exhaust - mud daubers and other insects are attracted by the smell of propane and like to build nests there.

The Newell
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Agree on the mud dabber problem and you might need to clean the burner as well. It sounds like its getting too much gas and then the pilot lite, or spark, whichever you have is coming on too late and there's an overload of gas that finally gets ignited.

GypsyCliff
12-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Thank you for your reply's. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. Much appreciated Cliff.

prairieschooner
12-13-2012, 01:18 AM
yep, check the fan and the burner. do the recommended maintenance. The Suburban Furnaces are reliable as long as they are maintained.

77newell
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
In addition to the above suggestions I would add that unless your sail switch has failed in the on position you should not have the gas being turned on unless adequate air is blowing through the system for some time to ensure there is no residual gas.