PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen vs Air in Motor Coach Tires?

Newellin Thunder
12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I have heard nitrogen in tires is better than air! no expansion or contraction with temp. no condensate inside tire. is this true??

Newellin Thunder

Neweller
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Ernest, I have been running Nitrogen in my last four vehicle's and the latest two bought this year were already done by the new car dealership. One was from a Honda dealer and the other from Dodge/Jeep dealer. These guys sell all their new autos with Nitrogen. I have had great success with my auto's but have not tried anything on a coach and would love to know for myself as well how it has worked out for other luxury coach lifestyle owners? I think it has been discussed on here in the past, I have probably missed out on the subject.

Dom Ferris
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess I am cheap as I use a nitrogen blend at approximately 79%. It is readily available from my compressor and works for me.

lbrachfe
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Had Nitro in all my race car tires to 95%. Normally you have mostly nitro in the air and as don said about 79%. i tried Nitro in my coach tires for a year and experienced none of the same benefits you have in auto tires except keeping the insides dry. Problem comes up anytime you need air pressure in a tire. There are NO car dealers set up to do a coach tire. The coach weight is too much as in the process the tire needs to be deflated to the ground and reinflated. See my point ? It's a waste of money in a coach, but worth every cent in car tires.

NewellCrazy
12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
In the enclosed web site you will find a list of very informative tire publications from Michelin. Keep in mind that when they are talking about RV tires they are only referring to tires used on self propelled RVs.

On page 37 of the truck tire service manual you will find a paragraph that addresses Michelin’s position on the use of 100% nitrogen in their tires.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Reference Materials Page (http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/toolbox/reference-material.jsp)

Gimpy
12-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Not all attributes stated are true for using nitrogen to pressurize tires. constant air pressure is not a benefit since nitrogen as a gas must react as other gases in accordance with Charles' Law which states that pressure of a gas is directly proportional to temperature if the volume (inside the tire) remains constant.

David Carrol
12-13-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm a fan of Nitrogen in cars tires. Not sure what to think about using it in my coach tires.