PDA

View Full Version : 77 Newell front heater not getting hot coolant from engine

rellick
12-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Hello,
Anyone know of a hidden valve near the rear for the front heater? checked for a valve at the front it has been replaced with a piece of 1/2" pipe. getting lots of heat to rear heater and basement heater. Also checked heater core for any blockage and it is clear. I searched high and low and can't find anything that would stop the flow to this heater.

prairieschooner
12-19-2012, 12:43 AM
I simply run the generator and use me electric heaters. I may try the engine temperature transfers later this year but then again maybe not.
I think that on our older coaches the older Heaters and Air Conditioners are not that valuable and the $$ spent is better in diesel for the gen.

MrE
12-19-2012, 07:05 AM
When I bought my '73, it had no heat to the front heater. From years of not being used it was pretty well clogged up. I had to pull the heater core and get it unplugged and then run pressurized water through the system to get all the gunk out. After that everything worked as advertised.

rellick
12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I bypassed the rear heater and ran hoses to the front heater and got heat to get me home. There must be a blockage near the back end somewhere on the return side, Up north in Grande Prairie it is -26c, I havent tried to start the gen. yet. I used a portable propane heater also. I was having trouble finding the dipstick on the gen to check oil with no luck so I decided to leave it alone till I could get it inside in the warmth. It is a chrysler nissan 4cyl dsl. Any ideas where it is?

ccjohnson
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Not sure on older models, but ours has an electric pump in the engine compartment to get the hot coolant all the way up to the front. Newell replaced a relay for us on it. Makes a big difference when it is working. ( This is for dash heat).

rellick
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Ya, ill check that out, I was thinking as I was driving, after I borrowed the hoses from the rear heater, this would work better if it had a pump to help it out. I didnt get decent heat until the rpms were up there

MrE
12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
-26c, and I was feeling bad about working on mine where it's +22f. One of the previous owners of my coach installed a Proheat XL900 diesel fired boiler. It can be used with the engine running or not, it has an impeller style coolant pump and turns on when the coolant temperature drops to 150f (60c) and shuts off when the coolant temperature reaches 185f (65c). You can read more at Teleflex Thermal Systems ? Welcome to Proheat (http://www.proheat.com).

rellick
12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
That would be very cool:cool:

folivier
12-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Look on the rear of your engine on drivers side, up near the water pump. On our 8v92 there are 4 valves (globe valves similar to a hose bib), these allow the coolant to circulate to different areas of the coach, water heater, heaters, etc. Make sure all 4 are open fully.

rellick
12-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Thank-you, I will give that a try, I will be bringing it into the shop tomorrow to check it over

77newell
12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
On my 77 coach with 6V92 (original engine was Cummins 555) there is a single engine coolant loop that starts and returns to the engine through valves in the area of engine water pump. On mine the loop comes from the engine to the bedroom heater, then all the way to the heater at the front, then to the motoraid circuit in the hot water heater, then to water compartment heater and then back to the engine. Due to low heat availability in cold temperatures I added an electric boost pump to the circuit. Originally there was a 3-way valve just above the generator up front that could allow bypassing the from heater core in warm weather. I couldn't tell any difference from one position to the other in the summer so I eliminated it.

IN your case, since bypassing the bedroom heater resulted in better heat up front I'm guessing that there may be a restriction in or near that rear heater since that is all that changed from no heat to yes some heat. I'm guessing the rest of the circuit is fine because you were more or less satisfied after removing the rear heat core from the circuit, still I did find that the booster pump helped my coach.