PDA

View Full Version : 77 Newell Repower?

rellick
12-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Hello, its great to see there is a few of these classic coaches still on the road. I am just starting to dive into mine and making plans on what to do with it as far as powertrain, the rest it pretty decent, a few glitches with electrical and a few other things. I have only owned it for a week, drove it home about 500 miles and it worked suprisingly well for its age. The engine is a 555 cummins with about 190,000 miles, I have heard mixed reviews on these engines. I am going to cut apart the oil filter on it and take a look for any filings and take an oil sample in for analysis just to see if I should spend any money on it (injectors, tune up etc.) my mechanic buddies figure if the oil and filter checks out I should just run it,or should I just repower it with a newer engine. I was thinking an 8.3 cummins. I am a welder and machinist by trade so any bracketry or mods shouldnt be too much trouble. Any thoughts or opinions on witch way to go with this?

Neweller
12-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Keith, I have been involved in a repower on a '76 Newell that originally had 555 and it was not all that hard to convert. I made mounting brackets and moved the radiator to the side bay. I had help from a couple of other guys whom hotrod a lot of newer Cummins engines. I considered the 8.3 Cummins, they came in a lot of school buses and could be made to work. They are a great engine. Transmission usually reguire changes in the process to match the right gearing and torque requirements. The tripple nickle is an okay engine, just under powered and that is why the 903 is the easiest change over. The blocks are pretty much the same. The 903 with turbo is real equivalent in power to the 6v92T. I do know where their is a lower mileage (375hp+) 6v92T DD Silver Series with Allison 5 speed for sale, if ever of interest?

If a guy plans on keeping a Classic Newell for a long time, it would be well worth the money to upgrade. It is a whole lot less money than what someone would have invested compared to doing something similar in a bus conversion. Because you already have a dynamite coach in a Newell.

rellick
12-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I have never run a 6v92, I have heard them running and have heard opinions on them, I am sure they are a good engine. I was thinking if I am going to upgrade I would like an inline 6 4stroke. I was told we could turn up the ponys on the 555 as well, but that makes me leary as well

Neweller
12-22-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm with ya on the inline 6 4 Stroke idea. The 8.3 can be a sweetheart setup and parts are readily available. That is the biggest problem with the 555, they are bummer to round up good parts. They were used in marine applications and that is where most of the core parts can be obtained from. The 903 cousin was used a lot by the US military and in a lot of dump trucks. If someone can do the 8.3 for a reasonable cost, which when I checked, the running gear could be had reasonable, there will be a few others standing in line for the same set-up. In my search I ran across at least two retired rear engine school buses that had super low remans in them crying for a Luxury Coach Lifestyle. We are on the same page here. I'm really surprised many others have not done this. It just takes someone to show it being done and it becomes an infection.

rellick
12-22-2012, 05:54 AM
What I was told by a vet diesel guy (started 1970 ) unless maybe a little senile in his age, the 8.3 runs the same rpms as the triple nickle and the bell housing is the same, he told me those old allisons are bullet proof, if he is right I shouldnt have to mess around with my gearing. Im not to up on the diesels my experience has been mostley with gas engines. When in doubt I like to talk to the guys with some experience, no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel. And I really dont want to end up with an expensive can of worms. Another reason why I posted this thread!! I know you guys have been messing around with this sort of thing for a while!

77newell
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
My 77 coach originally had the 555 with 230hp which for a 29000 pound coach is pretty meager. It was replaced with a 350 hp 6V92T and has rather spritely performance. Since I don't know all the particulars of the change I can't say why it was done.

If I was in your situation, as I understand it, I would have an engine oil, engine coolant and transmission oil analysis done before I did anything drastic. If you find the engine is doing at least OK then you buy time to figure out what to do when you finally decide to do the change. Figuring it all out can be fun and finding parts in very good condition at a reasonable cost probably will take awhile.

Unless you plan to go with with a side radiator I doubt an inline 6 will fit.

I love our coach and the attention it gets when we are parked.

rellick
12-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Thank for the input Jon, I think I will end up running this one for a while, as long as it checks out ok. I am pretty sure injectors are fairly cheap for the 555, If it runs good enough I could probably sell it to a farmer or something. There is a surplus of 8.3 s around, Ill get some measurements and make a plan as to how it will all fit in there. I also enjoy figuring out this sort of thing. I plan on keeping it for a while and I think it would be worth the effort.

HoosierDaddy
12-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I had a '78 35' with the 555. It ran great...My mechanic "turned it up" a bit. I didnt notice much difference. The only time it seemed underpowered was in the hills. It would run 70mph all day long on the flat. If it blew up I would have considered a Duramax engine/trans. That would not require a radiator move or final drive change.

rellick
12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a duramax in one of my welding trucks, I love it. How would you run the injector pump? is there an aftermarket ecm for those? Hmmm? My mechanic figured I wouldnt have to do any changes to my gear ratio with an 8.3. He doesnt have anything good to say about v-engine diesels, I think the duramax is an amazing engine performance wise. They are an Izuzu engine, the japanese know how to build engines!

MrE
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Another motor that you could repower your coach with and not have to relocate the radiator is the Detroit Diesel Series 50. It's a inline 4 cylinder 8.5L spinoff of the Series 60 that was produced from 1993 to 2004.

rellick
12-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Hello all, looking at buying a 97 thomas bus with an 8.3 cummins and a B300 allison trans to repower my coach. Anyone know anything about this model of transmission?

NewellCrazy
12-30-2012, 01:54 AM
The only problem I have heard of with the B300 Allison trans is coolant in the trans, and that came from the radiator/trans cooler combos that developed crack between the two and allow coolant into the trans-fluid. The cure is to replace the cooler. Some sealed the radiator and then put a separate trans cooler on to keep the cost down. Radiator trans cooler is very pricey.

Neweller
12-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Keith, I believe the 8.3 would work. I have a guy down my way who has been doing conversions on all types of buses for about 40 years now. A friend of his used to do suspension upgrades on the 70's Newell's. This guy is really good at what he does and could tell me right away what will work and what not. I will call him on Monday and ask about the 8.3 Cummins and report back to you. I already got the run down somewhat on the 50 and Series 60 Detroit's and the newer Cat and Cummins models. He did say that converting a DDEC engine to a Series 60 was one of the easiest to do. I recently seen a newer Wanderlodge that they pulled the brand new Cummins out of, because the owner wanted a Series 60. A lot of people would think this sounds crazy but the Wanderlodge owner likes the 2 additional mpg and maintenance cost of the 60 Series. Very interesting information for sure. Lots to grind our teeth on.

Myself I would like to do this upgrade on a Classic and on a 90-95 Series 2000. With the right group of folks around here, we could revive some Newell's like thousands have been doing with the bus-conversions.

I also started another thread on engine upgrades. Maybe, we'll have to think about combining the info? See how it goes.

rellick
12-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Sounds like a radiator issue, transmission oil usually flows to and from the rad to cool the oil. The only way coolant could get into the transmission would be from a cracked cooling tube in the rad. Yes it would not be good to have coolant in the transmission, but wouldnt be the fault of the transmission.

rellick
12-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Hello, yes any info would be great, people that have been doing these mods for a long time are the best to talk to about unforseen problems. I did find a pretty sweet deal on this bus, and I think the engine trans will work great in my coach. If you like to combine the info on these threads great! I am new to forums so I wouldnt know how to do that. I am more mechanical literate than computer!lol

86loco
12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I am in agreence with you all on the idea of this type of upgrade. The wife and I have been looking at lots of later model luxury coaches, mainly being Newells and my brother plans on taking the '86 we currently own off our hands and further down the road plans on upgrading the old girl with a later model power plant. Like my brother has told me, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to accomplish the task of an engine upgrade, that it's only time and money. Many trucking companies order their fleet vehicles with a choice of multiple engine options and there is a reason for this.

rellick
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Newer engines are alot more efficient, and less trouble. I like the classics, there can be issues when repowering with newer stuff, the more info the better it sometimes is not easy, but if someone else has already done it thats the people to get info from to do this sort of thing. It can save alot of headaches!!

Neweller
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Keith, I have a call into the mechanic and should here back shortly. He was taking a breather during the holiday. Do you know the horsepower of the 8.3L in the '97 Thomas Bus? When I was looking in the past at using this engine, a lot of them were 330hp. I know they can be pumped from there.

Here's an interesting video of an 8.3 running out of the bus. Pretty quite and smooth compared to the old DD 2-strokes and without muffler etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xYggFNrfMYU

rellick
01-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Hi Ken, thanks for the reply, right now the engine is only 210hp they must have it detuned because its a transit bus, maybe they didn't want people falling into the back of the bus?lol! We will be turning it up to around 330hp. I will also have to reprogram the transmission for 6speed. Its only 5 now.

rellick
01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know what gear ratio(s) they were using in the 77 diff's?

Neweller
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Keith, I obtained some great information. May not be what you want to hear but I got the info. The 8.3 Cummins would work but it is basically just a notch up on the 5.9 Cummins. The 8.3 would definitely be an upgrade to the 555. The mechanic said that he always recommends going with the largest capacity engine you can make fit comfortably so the engine will not work as hard while helping it get a higher MPG. The 8.3 would be fine up to about 35' coach, after that it will be under powered unless cranked up and that would take away from longevity and MPG. Gears are not a real big deal to do if needed. Most gears run around $600.00 for a good used set. He said the only buses or coaches he is aware of where the gears get pricey is on the old Eagle buses where they can cost up to $2000.00.

Gear ratio's in these Newell's can be 3:33, 3:36, 4:10 etc., depending on engine hp and transmission configurations. Yours being a triple nickel and lower horsepower I'm thinking you could have around 3:36 and that is a wild guess.

The more I research the engine upgrade option possibilities, it really gets me pumped. This is truly the way to go and the more Newell's upgraded the better they should retained value. This is my serious assumption of course. Keep these baby's going for years while obtaining great performance, mileage and dependability.

rellick
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi Ken, thanks a lot for the info, I am getting somewhere with this project, I have a friend with a 97 bird with a factory 300hp 8.3. 37ft very close to the same size and weight. I will be setting up my transmission and diff to the same specs as his. He is very happy with the way his works. I think he gets about 10mpg, fine with me if I can get that. I will finally be getting greasy next weekend, ill make sure to take some pics and post them.

Neweller
01-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Keith, that sounds fantastic! I will keep my fingers crossed for you, and definitely look forward the info sharing and pics.:dance: Let the grease fling! Here we Gojo!

rellick
02-05-2013, 03:04 AM
The 8.3 is officially out of the bus, it took a few days but it was very simple to work on, ( we got side tracked lots) plus with me being on days off I had alot of other things I had to get done, and Rick my mechanic is also very busy, I think total time was about 8 to 10 hrs, including removing the head, ( and alot of bsing)lol
The mess of wiring is for the allison transmission. It will be transplanted into the 77 Newell. We pulled the head off to change the exhaust springs from 32psi ones to 65psi to give enough back pressure for the pac brake to work properly, plus I wanted to change the gaskets. We may also re-bearing and gasket the bottom end, just because its easy now, ill give it a good cleaning and a paint job before we put it in the 77. Plans are to pull the v555 out of the coach on my next days off, (in ten days) I measured roughly and there should be lots of room to fit the new engine. Well thats all for now folks

Neweller
02-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Looks like you have been busy little northern beavers! Fantastic! That is one dry looking unit, which means she didn't leak and puke on herself. I thought she was coming out of a school bus and I see it is a city bus.

All I can say is: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt.......... ...................:thumbup: Thanks for sharing bro!

NewellCrazy
02-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Awesome pictures Keith keep them coming & keep us updated on your progress!!!

rellick
03-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Well Ken, its our turn!!There is a snowfall warning for the whole area, supposed to get 25cm by the morning, so we decided to finally pull the Newell in the shop to pull the engine. Started at 10 this morning and by 330 its ready to pull out, I will go to town tomorrow and borrow a pallet jack to pull it out, were going to block it from underneath and take the weight off then just roll it out the back. Did some measuring and it looks like the new engine should fit in just nicely! I may have a new home for the engine running a hydraulic pump for some equipment should suit it just fine!

MrE
03-14-2013, 03:51 AM
I'm really interested in what kind of MPG you're able to get with the 8.3 and 6 speed tranny! Keep us up to date.

Neweller
03-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Great news Keith about the engine swap moving forward. Of course not the damn snow! But then again, you should be used to it. Looking forward to the finished results like many I'm sure are.

Jon, you know it will beat the heck out of the triple nickel mileage. Except it sounds like the 555 will have a new stationary home, somewhere that won't possibly leave you stranded. I looked for months trying to find a rebuildable core to replace one of those. So many people back then were suggesting I stay original. :crying: So, I could only imagine nowadays.

86loco
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I am really excited to see this come to fruition. Keep warm and godspeed!

rellick
03-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Well folks the snow is getting deeper by the minute, only got stuck once today. The good news is the old triple nickle has been pulled out like an absess tooth. The 8.3 awaits its new home! We changed all the gaskets and seals checked the bearings in the lower end, the head came off to change the exhaust springs from the factory 32psi to 65psi ones for the exhaust brake were installing, while we were in there we lapped the valves and replace the seals, and new head gasket. Tomorrow we will do the motor mounts, mount the rad and if there is time possibly mount the power steering reservoir, and maybe the air cleaner.

NewellCrazy
03-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Keith,

Looking good! your on fire with this project! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sean

speedingsport
03-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Keith you're kicking some @ss on this engine swap. Keep warm! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more. :thumbsup:

Barthman
03-15-2013, 02:16 AM
This project is really coming along. You old boys really do know what the heck's going on. This is the most extensive repairs I have ever seen around here.

Looks like a great mascot as well.

Neweller
03-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Looking really good my friend!!:thumbup: Nice to see the old turd out of there.lol! The way you're going, you may end up as our Classic King. That baby will be purring like a kitten before long.

Randy J
03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
This is awesome Keith! Great documentation and photos. :thumbsup:

rellick
03-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Well folks, the snow is still getting deeper but I dont care! the 8.3 cummins is officially bolted into the 77 Newell!:cheers:Spent a good part of yesterday just cleaning up wiring and hoses etc. cleaned up the original front motormount/ crossmember and driiled our hole for the center rubber mount. Today I had to cut the two vertical plates out of the frame and relocated them 1/2" on each side wider than the original to accommodate the 8.3 mounts, welded the plates all back in, rolled the engine into place and bolted it up. The driveshaft worked out nicely we used one half from the original and the other is the 6 speed allison, lucky the splines matched up perfectly. Also the length worked out. I tell you it is like this engine was made to fit!! Next will be the rad, it will take some fabricating to fit it in, i had to cut the right side floor out as well as the rear support to fit this bad boy in there, were going to dry fit it in make sure all the hoses and such line up nice then install the mounts that came with the donor bus, I will have to re-structure the rear support after the rad is mounted in and Im happy where its new home will be. Im sure that will be a whole day project.:D

NewellCrazy
03-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Keith your a work horse just getting her done. Happy to see everything's coming along smoothly for you.

Sean

Neweller
03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
That is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as Canadian Maple Syrup! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! So are you saying the radiator is going in the rear? http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticon-critic/images/funny/back-flip.gif

We have some Classic Newell remanufacturing going-on here! It's going to take us a few years to go through all the classics out there, but it can be done.lol!

Leeann J
03-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Way to go Keith! :beer:

rellick
03-17-2013, 02:18 AM
That is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as Canadian Maple Syrup! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! So are you saying the radiator is going in the rear? http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticon-critic/images/funny/back-flip.gif

We have some Classic Newell remanufacturing going-on here! It's going to take us a few years to go through all the classics out there, but it can be done.lol!
Right side rear Ken, itl still be the side rad, were going to try line up all the hoses how it was in the donor bus. It had no floor there just two supports coming off the frame to support the rad and air to air. I had to cut the floor out and one cross support out of the Newell, the rad and air to air is 42" long, we will have to lay it over and pull it up from underneath and get it sitting on a floorjack, then we can line it all up and re- support everything. This way we should end up with a factory like finish with everything fitting properly how it should. Nothing worse than buying a hose and having to kink it to fit it in etc. or having to custom make now and later on down the road.:banghead:

chockwald
03-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Keith, love the pictures, and your descriptions of the work you are doing....you are saving thousands with your ability to fabricate, and modify the frame, etc. Being a fellow Classic owners I am really appreciating the work you are doing to repower your Classic.

rellick
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Well the snow is fairly deep! there are swings on this swing set but they are buried, they are calling for warmer weather in the next few days so hopefully we get some melting action!
Well yesterday I spent the day streamlining the wiring and hooking things up, the heater hoses replaced and nicely routed. Found a home for the fuel filter and plumbed it in, I figured we should tie everything in before the rad goes in just for more room, Today I think ill try and route the transmission wiring harness in where the old shifter cable was and build a console for the allison keypad.

MrE
03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Kieth, you're giving me inspiration! I'm going to try and get my engine pulled before the end of the month. Once I get it apart and find out why it seized, and if I have a rebuilable core or not...

rellick
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
G'day jon, maybe a good candidate for a Series 60? I look forward to hearing about it, and if you or anyone has any questions for me send me a pm. I am more than happy to help, the coach engine swaps are fairly new to me but I have been a fabricator, welder, machinist most of my life and have been involved in building things since I was a kid.:thumbup:

Neweller
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Keith, as long as the shop is heated I can deal with the elements. But, I will say it again, I prefer to go visit the snow, then for it to visit me.

Jon, how's that back recovery coming, you going to be alright doing that or do you have some extra muscle around? I wish you the best on that engine. Now, karma could go in the way of an engine transplant. Remember Keith is a little younger and has a little more of that animal magnetism than some of us and can still do this like it's child's play. That is why we may have to pass the crown onto him.

MrE
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Keith, thanks for the offer. If I don't have a rebuildable core, I'll probably trailer it out to Ken's buddies and let them do it. I don't have room in my driveway for a donor vehicle and don't want to get nickled and dimed to death buying all the pieces that I would need without a donor.

rellick
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
That sounds like a good idea, those boys are doing this sort of thing all the time and are setup to do it, if you do go with the newer engine they will be able to wire in the ecm etc. Probably cost the same or less than rebuilding an 8v and not only will it be upgraded but will add value to your coach! Good luck!!

rellick
03-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Well folks, its a runner!!:bounce: I spent a couple of days sorting through the coach wiring, it definately had a few gremlins., there is still a couple of minor issues to sort out. It starts right up and seems to run nicely. I had built a console for the allison shifter pad and have it roughed in, I will remove it and upholster it while the ecu is getting reprogrammed, ( its programmed for a 5 speed soon to be a 6speed) transmission lights up and goes into drive and reverse. perhaps tomorrow or the next day after a couple of loose ends are tied up we wiil take it out for a test drive.

JustDustin
03-25-2013, 04:34 AM
:thumbsup: That's awesome Keith! Looking forward to hearing how the test drive goes. Did all that snow melt away?

NewellCrazy
03-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Very nice Keith your just movin right along and its looking great!

Jack Fouts
03-25-2013, 05:32 AM
That is a inspirational photo. Not to many people get to see what it looks like to replace a be honken v-series engine with an inline-6. I really like all the room you have gained for any future repairs ever needed.:thumbsup:

rellick
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
:thumbsup: That's awesome Keith! Looking forward to hearing how the test drive goes. Did all that snow melt away?
Justdustin, still have alot of snow! warm weather in the forcast for the next week. Sure like the looks of your avatar pic!!

rellick
04-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Well the Coach is out of the shop, we took it for a drive and it works really well!
The transmission is still programmed for a 5 speed but the ecm will be done hopefully within the week. No more smoke and it has some power now!! There is still some bugs to work out with the tach and speedo also but ill get those sorted out soon too. For now its at home and were going through the coach wiring etc. I will be redoing the flooring and replacing the microwave and tv's.
Also re-upholstering the sofa and dinette. I thought I had some more recent pics, I will post some more in the next couple of days, We are pretty much going through every square inch. :bandit:

jWolfe
04-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Fantastic news Keith. :thumbsup: You will have a whole new coach after redoing the flooring, replacing the microwave and tv's and re-upholstering the sofa and dinette. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Be sure to post before photos as well.

Neweller
04-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Sweet Sunrise! There she be, so she can do a white burnout eh? You Da Man from Can! Or I guess we could say the Man Dat Can! Figured I'd throw some of that island sunshine at you and hopefully melt the rest of that snow.

Keith, I think now you can add your engine info in your signature line and enjoy some bragging rights!http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

NewellCrazy
04-02-2013, 05:25 AM
She's a beauty Keith great to see you got her out of the shop and on the open road.

Sean

stewart33
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Way To Go Keith! I must say you're a natural. Keep it up! I look forward to seeing the interior changes too, keep us posted on the progress. :thumbsup:

rellick
04-22-2013, 10:51 PM
G'day folks! Just figured I would update you with some pics. The first is the one of the old shifter, the second was the new shifter roughed in and still programmed 5 speed. The last is the
finished shifter programmed 6 speed. Took it for a burn this morning and works great!! Had the old gal up to 76mph, it would have went faster but I wasn't!!:thumbup:

Neweller
04-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Sweet sweet n deed! So, tell us; with the 6 speed functioning now, does this baby have more get up and go? Feel like it would climb a hill better than the old triple nickle? I have recently spoken with a Newell owner from my old stomping grounds who owns a really cool looking done up black with flames '77 Newell with a 555 Cummins that he has been towing his "Funny Car" dragster with and he will be traveling on a much broader drag circuit which he will have to do much more mountain climbing and he states the power is not there and was thinking about selling this really nice coach. If he doesn't sell it than a more powerful engine is in order.

rellick
04-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Gday Ken, this 8.3 6speed is like night and day compared to the 555 it has lots of torque, the tranny seems to keep the engine in its powerband. if your friend likes his coach I would definately recommend the engine trans swap.

Neweller
04-23-2013, 01:22 AM
I spoke with Chris today and you have to see the flame paint job he has done on his Newell. Maybe I'll post it in the Classic Inspirations forum section.

JustDustin
05-01-2013, 03:33 AM
Keith I give you props man, you did it! I know the Newell factory strongly urges caution on repowering coaches because it can be an expensive project. How many hours of labor would you say was put into the repower project?

rellick
05-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Keith I give you props man, you did it! I know the Newell factory strongly urges caution on repowering coaches because it can be an expensive project. How many hours of labor would you say was put into the repower project?

Thank you for the kind words, How many hours?hmmm, not quite sure, there is a lot of factors that came into play, I could estimate about a hundred hours to do a repower, now if it was something I did on a daily basis it may be a different storey. If you include finding a donor vehicle purchasing it and removing the engine trans etc, we resealed and gasketed the engine cleaning and painting etc, I also reworked a lot of the coach wiring etc at the same time, its hard to say how many It actually took. My mechanic has around 100 cows and they were calving so he was in and out on the project, I helped him with a few projects he has, so I didn't really keep track of actual hours. I did it more as a hobby rather than a job because its something I enjoy doing. Was it worth it? For me it was because I like doing it and I am proud of what it is now. Now if I were to hire someone to do this, I would take it to a shop that does it a lot and they could give you a fairly accurate estimate. The coach still isn't finished inside but I hope to have it close in the next couple of months.

rellick
08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
G'day folks! Just figured I would update you with some pics. The first is the one of the old shifter, the second was the new shifter roughed in and still programmed 5 speed. The last is the
finished shifter programmed 6 speed. Took it for a burn this morning and works great!! Had the old gal up to 76mph, it would have went faster but I wasn't!!:thumbup:
I wanted to share this photo for ideas for this 76 repower. This is how I mounted my shifter pad, it was a fairly easy thing to build. The only thing I would have done differently is to route the allison wires farther up under the dash, I used the same hole the old shifter cable came through. I will change it on the next shop go around.

HoosierDaddy
08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi Keith,Great job! Is that a Bennet air shifter?

rellick
08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
The old is cable, 4-speed and the new is electronic, 6-speed, the bennet air shifter was the era between the two.

RoDesign
08-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Nice job !!!!!!!!!!!!

rellick
04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Just thought I would update this thread, we tore the 8.3 down for a complete overhaul. After about 5k miles last year it was using some oil and had blowby, it was a used engine. I ordered a complete kit that contains pistons,liners,bearings and gaskets. I also took the rad in for a recore, sent the injection pump in for a possible rebuild, and found a new turbo. It should be all back together in a week or so with all fresh new parts and ready to hit the road. Total cost should be right around 6k. very reasonable I think. Parts for these 8.3's are very easy to get and very reasonable.
I tried to upload pics, for some reason they won't upload like they used to

ccjohnson
04-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Not a bad price at all Kieth. Stewart Stevenson Detroit Diesel has quoted me ball park of 20K for complete re-manufactured engine replacement labor included. But that is on my 8V92.

rellick
04-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Clint, the overhaul kit is about 2k, turbo is 850, rad 1700, inj. Pump 1500, there will be filters, oil, and cleaning and checking the head. I have some good friends here. Labour isnt free but we trade back and forth. I have a boat interior in my shop right now!!
20k for a 8v92 installed sounds like a good price. They are a bigger engine and perhaps getting less common these days?

ccjohnson
04-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Kieth, How far are you from Edmonton? I have a truely great friend who just sold their rural property and are moving into town. he has been wanting me to drive up to visit since they always come down to Vegas to visit. We might make the trip this summer. Would like to meet you guys if timing works out while we are up in the frozen north.

rellick
04-20-2014, 06:07 PM
That sounds great Clint, were about 4-5 hr drive. Summers here are real nice. Let us know when you plan on coming up and we will try plan something.