PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Issues

BMG Coach
12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I noticed, that any time I signaled for a lane change my cruise control would deactivate, just as though I had stepped on the brakes. All lights seem to work correctly, and the "old Girl" just passed a safety inspection yesterday.

Anyone with an idea of what may be going on?

The Newell
12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
The cruse control reads the voltage on both sides of the brake light switch, It's looking for 12 volts on the "Battery" side and Zero on the brake light side.

If you have a ground fault on your brake/turn lights then when you signal a turn the voltage will "Feed back" and kill the cruise.

If the turn signal switch is defective it may feed voltage back to the brake light lead.

And if you have a right/left turn short somewhere in the harness (Very rare) .. Same thing.

I typed them in suspect order.. I'd start with the grounds at the south end of your north
bound rig.

NOTE: If you are TOWING a car.. The bad ground may be on the trailer (car) or on the ground lead (either end) of the umbilical This includes both the car and motor home pigtails as well as the connecting wire itself.

MrE
12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I had a similar issue when I picked up my coach and drove it home. It fixed itself prior to getting home, so my assumption is that it was a grounding issue on the south end of our north bound coach.

Gimpy
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Just to throw one more variable into the mix, you could have a shorted diode

prairieschooner
12-28-2012, 02:33 AM
try securing the wires that go to the CC Switch Unit on the Turn Signal Switch Arm. I have noticed that mine is sensitive on occasion.
Sorry try some ty-raps fore this

77newell
12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
If it is a ground problem on one signal light then the CC would kick off only upon signalling a turn in that direction. The odds of grounds simultaneously going bad on both sides is small but not nonexistent. Based upon this you can look either for ground problems or shared system problems as noted above.

BMG Coach
01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Got it fixed by your outstanding suggestions. Don't know what I would do with out this forum.