PDA

View Full Version : INverter switches inside the coach

encantotom
11-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I have an interesting question. i have a new freedom 458 zantrex 2000 watt inverter charger in my coach that was installed before i got it this summer. it runs the icemaker, the blender, the gargage disposal, the 110v light in the bathroom and the tv's front and rear. it is controlled by a freedom remote in the back of the coach. there is a factory installed invertor switch both at the control panel above the microwave and at the head of the bed. when turning that switch on, it clearly clicks a relay in the power panel in the bedroom, but it does not appear to do anything other than click. is this just a leftover from the old system and it does nothing? any of you have any thing like this? i will continue to trace the wiring out, but it is interesting. probably an artififact around installing a new invertor of higher wattage than the original and rewiring.

thanks

tom

fulltiming
11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Tom, those switches are no longer functional but to be on the safe side, after I had my 1200 W Heart replaced with a 2000 W ProSine, I removed the lead from one side of each of the old inverter switches and taped it off with electrical tape.

The Newell installed system used separate relays in each circuit that was powered by the inverter. The clicking you hear is the old relay energizing. The installer should have removed the wires from the old relays and installed a new breaker box to run the new circuits. I don't like having current going to unused relays thus my reason for taping off one of the wires to each of the previous inverter switches.

encantotom
12-02-2007, 12:09 AM
thats what i figured. i will disable it myself. i am in the process of putting in the 32" lcd and 19" lcd tv's. took off the side valences up front and that was a bit of work. ran new coax and cat5e down the channels and will also run a 35' hdmi cable front to back. will set it up to do infrared injection over cat5 from front to rear. also ordered long svga cables and corresponding audio cables to hook up a laptop at front or rear and dsiplay on the lcd tv's along with being able to play movies off of them onto the lcd's. i am also running a connection from where the laptop is on the center console by the driver so i could display onto the 32" lcd from there as well.

fulltiming
12-02-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm impressed and somewhat envious. That should be a great setup.

Richard and Rhonda
12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Tom,

Do you mind listing your source for the long cables? I stumbled across a site once, but forgot to bookmark it.

R

encantotom
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
i have bought a ton of stuff from www.monoprice.com

they are cheap, high quality and shipping is fast.

i have bought many many hdmi cables from 35 feet cl2, to shorter ones to audio adapters, mike cables, lcd mounts, audio cables, etc. i just got their color coded 6 foot hdmi cables and they are very very good.

i think they are hard to beat on pricing and fast shipping.

tom

Richard and Rhonda
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you, now everybody on the forum has a source.