PDA

View Full Version : metal racks in my fridge are rusting

MiracleJ
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
The metal racks/shelves in my fridge are rusting. Not a lot, but it irritates me so I'm going to do something about it. I'm thinking of sandblasting them and then spray painting with some kind of paint - rustoleum comes to mind. Anyone have any better ideas? I can't be the only one to ever have this issue. Thank you in advance.

Jerry

NewellCrazy
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Jerry,

I've used a rubberized-type paint on worn/rusted spots on my dishwasher racks a couple of times over the years. If you have small spots of rust here and there, that might work for the fridge racks, too. Would not be the solution for large areas, though.

Neweller
01-04-2013, 12:23 AM
My suggestion would be to remove the racks, clean them really good to make sure there is absolutely no grease or grime using a course steel wool pad. For additional etching and as a adhesion promoter use a good rust inhibiting self-etching primer following the instructions. Follow up with a good epoxy finish coat (appliance type will work) available at your home improvement store or online. Make sure it is well cure before installing the back in your fridge. West Marine carries everything you need as well and it's a very reasonable refinishing task.

If you have never used steel wool pads, here is an example of the one's I buy made by 3M and they come in a pack of (6) for only about $6-7 dollars. You can go the cheaper route and buy the other type but these are nice.

MrE
01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Has anyone tried powder coating stuff like this? I've been trying to cost justify getting a powder coating setup...

1993Newell
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Jon, powder coating the fridge shelves would be a good idea. I'm a fan of powder coating, it will last a lot longer and I have seen kits for easy do it yourself.

The Newell
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
You can also use porcelain paint. Used to fix chips in sinks. Pretty tough stuff. Can be found at Home Depot.

bigcatwally
01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Rust-oleum primer and a white Rust-oleum paint would work. You can get the kind that it will stop the rust and corrosion. Wire brush the loose rust like others mentioned then paint over it. It should hold up for a long while.

jWolfe
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
You could always order new racks from the fridge manufacture.