PDA

View Full Version : Motor Coach Weigh in

Ron in South Dakota
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Any hints on the best places to get the coach weighed at each corner, each end and total? We are near Seattle Wa

MrE
01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Try finding a weigh station near you on this link: Weigh Station Scales Locations in Washington WA (http://www.allstays.com/c/weigh-scales-washington-locations.htm)

I have a friend that lives in Bandon Oregon and there's a weigh station just south of town on Hwy 101. I've never seen any personnel there, but the weight is displayed on an electronic sign. I've gone there and obtained all the weights you're looking for, and it was free. You might call Washington DOT and see if there's a similar setup in your area.

Vantare
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I've only weighed in once and used a CAT scale at a truck stop. They weighed each axle but I can't remember if they had the scale split side to side or not. I'm sure others who weight more often will have more specific info.

The Newell
01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Most scales don't do side to side splits. CAT scales in particular are usually designed with barricades to keep the truck centered on the scale.

I've had good luck with closed truck scales on the highway - they usually leave the scale on when they're closed and many have a display you can see from the driver's seat.

Usually you can pull through and get a total weight for each axle, then pull around and do it again with only one side on the scale platform. Subtract this side from the total axle weight to get what's on the other side.

You might also check with local household moving companies, or even the county dump. And ask the local DMV office where they send people who need to get their vehicle weight for the title.

Newell Boss
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Can also check with flying j

fulltiming
01-08-2013, 03:38 AM
I have found that the best place to get a weight on each wheel position is to go to a long distance Moving Van Line facility such as United, Atlas, Allied, North American, etc. They frequently have flat scales without any obstruction on one side of them. If you can find one that isn't busy, talk to the scale master, they will frequently let you drive onto the scale one axle at a time, then one axle at a time with only one side on the coach on the scale. The site MUST be level or you will not get good results. Just make sure you don't interfere with them weighing their own trucks and tip the scale master well. He will be happy to see you come back in the future.