PDA

View Full Version : Safe Motorhome Insurance Coverage Amounts

Brewers
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Afternoon All.

How does one decide how much insurance coverage to have on Your Motor Coach i.e., $100,000 per person, $300,000 per occurrence, etc?

Regards,

Brewers

MrE
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Depends on how deep your pockets are, if you are at fault for an accident there's a good chance that some or all the occupants in the other vehicle will think they just won the lottery. Problem with our current legal system is they still allow outrageous settlements. I try to carry enough liability insurance so that I don't worry about losing everything I own.

Will Procter
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
I assume from the numbers you're asking about bodily injury/personal property coverage. I would carry the same amount as you would if you lived in house, 100,000/300,000 is probably a minimum. Better yet is a single combined limit of $1,000,000, that's what we have on our policy.

GringoPhil
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
I agree with above, Sounds reasonable to me and as I recall that is what we carry too.

Phil

NewellCrazy
01-18-2013, 08:05 PM
With today's medical costs, $100,000 per person of bodily injury liability is barely adequate to cover a bit of hospitalization for an accident victim. So if your criteria is having enough to pay the other guy's expenses in case of a serious accident, then 100k/300k is probably a minimum and 200/500k a more comfortable figure. The higher limits may not cost very much more either, since the risk to the insurer does not increase proportionally. Consider property damage also - how much damage to sosmebody else's property could you cause at today's prices?

But the other criteria for insurance is how much of your own personal wealth is at risk? If the other guy sues for a million but you only have $50,000 in assets and $100k of insurance, his $1M judgement doesn't mean much. It could wipe out your assets, though. Depends on the type of asset and the laws that apply in the state where the asset residies and where the lawsuit is judged. Not all your assets may be at risk.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I would carry the maximum amount the insurance company allows, plus an umbrella policy on your home, if available. These are heavy machines that can cause a lot of damage and injury.

Gimpy
01-19-2013, 02:53 AM
When does anyone ever have enough insurance. Get what you can afford and pray it's enough. Hope you never have to use it and go from there.