PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Water Heater

Jonesy
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
When I am at a campsite for a couple weeks hooked up with shore power is it best to just turn the hot water heater switch on for an hour or two when you will be needing hot water or is it ok to leave the heater switch on continously, 24/7 ? Does turning it off and on as needed shorten or extend the life of the water heater? Thank you.

folivier
01-18-2013, 09:12 PM
What type of water heater?
I have a Raritan 20 gallon heater and leave it on all the time when I have hookups.

Gimpy
01-19-2013, 02:56 AM
What brand water heater? I'll give you a general answer. Assuming your thermostat works, and will turn the heater off when heated to the preset temperature, why turn it off? It will hurt nothing to leave it on continuously.

77newell
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
On my 35 year old coach we have left the switch on when camping for the last 10 years, the heater is original and the element looks original but at least hasn't been changed during our ownership. I continue to be amazed at all the original stuff that keeps functioning.

Jonesy
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Raritan water heater. good to know leaving it on doesnt damage it. I guess more than anything it's a waste of electricity?

folivier
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
The Raritan also uses a standard water heater element so when you need to replace it go to Lowe's or somewhere and get an off the shelf element. The Raritan comes with a 1200 watt and when mine went out last year I replaced it with a 2000 watt which made quite a difference in recovery rate.